GTA V Shadow Fix

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by mkeezay29, May 1, 2015.

1. fabiobad

fabiobad Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1
    Yeah, it seems that didn't even seen the "Advanced Graphics Settings" -___-"

BTW, i find your statement a bit excessive....do you really think that the game will run at 15fps if we can choose to expand this UGLY box?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

come on, it's 2mt long, if you extend this to at minimum 30 meters you will have very little impact on performance.

The real thing is that the shadow system in this game is a mess :/

2. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    For just few more meters(for example from default 2 to chooseable max to 20) no, I mean I hope not. However this shadow "method" they use makes me wonder why they chose to have only few meters clear resolution ones and they didn't even give us the option to tweak it. On the other hand they give us some extended settings..they should have put for this one too,for sure.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  3. mkeezay29

mkeezay29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 760 4GB
    See my shadows in game aren't doing that, I have no box, the shadows in front of my character are clear 5 meters out, they're clear 30 meters out, anywhere in daytime, I'll record me walking and looking at the ground in the city, I have no shadow box, the split looks like this in the file that has the games presets,

<Shadow_SplitZStart value="0.93" />
    <Shadow_SplitZEnd value="0.89" />

for higher settings it's a bit different, but through in game settings distance never goes to 2.0 so I have no idea what CK the Greek is talking about, I've also never seen the split at 1.000000 by 0.999999 through any in game settings, I'll link my video when I'm done uploading, you'll see you can get rid of that box, one thing I would say to try is going to the options, go the graphics options and you'll get a warning settings have been changed and ask if you want to keep them, choose yes, it will say it couldn't write to the file, go back to the game and see if they took effect.

Oh yeh and yes the statement was a bit excessive as I did all my testing on a core i3 3220 with my 4GB 760 and even after going overboard on some values I was getting just over 30 FPS

EDIT: Here are some pics of my shadows in when working properly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://postimg.org/image/mm7v5fv1h/full/

http://postimg.org/image/6494ds1e7/full/

http://postimg.org/image/xxaitt1wl/full/

http://postimg.org/image/jgn9f8cf9/full/

4. AjGamer

AjGamer Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    You are using PCSS correct?
    PCSS has NO shadow box.

5. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    His tweak in the header doesn't remove the issue, but mitigates it pretty well.

6. mkeezay29

mkeezay29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 760 4GB
    Yes that was all I was trying to do, you can still barely see the transition between slightly lower res shadows, but it makes the split minimal and keeps more detailed shadows in sight for longer distances, I've uploaded some pics of how mine looks on the streets, as you can see even the tree shadows far away that are stretched out on the wall still have all the holes where light can pass through instead of just a blob of shadow, I haven't been able to duplicate that with in game settings, so I thought I would share, looking at the pictures fabiobad posted I think it's quite an improvement.

Here is the whole <graphics> section of my settings.xml, some of these values are from the settings.xml inside the games x64a.rpf archive and are only in mine for a mod I'm making that uses that file, haven't had a chance to test if all can be used through the settings.xml in Rockstar Games/GTA V folder, still you can use this without issue in that file.

Code:

<Tessellation value="3" />
        <LodScale value="1.000000" />
        <PedLodBias value="0.350000" />
        <VehicleLodBias value="0.350000" />
        <ShadowQuality value="3" />
        <ReflectionQuality value="3" />
        <ReflectionMSAA value="2" />
        <SSAO value="2" />
        <AnisotropicFiltering value="16" />
        <MSAA value="0" />
        <MSAAFragments value="0" />
        <MSAAQuality value="0" />
        <TextureQuality value="2" />
        <ParticleQuality value="2" />
        <WaterQuality value="2" />
        <GrassQuality value="3" />
        <ShaderQuality value="2" />
        <MulticoreRendering value="true" />
        <Shadow_SoftShadows value="true" />
        <Shadow_ParticleShadows value="true" />
        <Shadow_SceneLights value="true" />
        <Shadow_Headlights value="true" />
        <Shadow_LongShadows value="true" />
        <Shadow_SplitZStart value="1.000000" />
        <Shadow_SplitZEnd value="0.999900" />
        <Shadow_aircraftExpWeight value="0.999999" />
        <Shadow_DisableScreenSizeCheck value="true" />
        <Reflection_MipBlur value="true" />
        <FXAAPlaceholder2 value="1" />
        <FXAAPlaceholder3 value="1.000000" />
        <Texture_MipLodBias value="0" />
       <TexturePlaceholder1 value="1" />
        <TexturePlaceholder2 value="true" />
        <TexturePlaceholder3 value="1.000000" />
        <ParticlePlaceholder1 value="1" />
        <ParticlePlaceholder2 value="true" />
        <ParticlePlaceholder3 value="1.000000" />
        <WaterPlaceholder1 value="1" />
        <WaterPlaceholder2 value="true" />
        <WaterPlaceholder3 value="1.000000" />
        <Lighting_FogVolumes value="true" />
        <LightingPlaceholder2 value="true" />
        <LightingPlaceholder3 value="1.000000" />
        <Shader_SSA value="false" />
        <ShaderPlaceholder1 value="1" />
        <ShaderPlaceholder3 value="1.000000" />
        <FXAA_Enabled value="true" />
        <TXAA_Enabled value="false" />
        <Lighting_FogVolumes value="true" />
        <Shader_SSA value="false" />
        <DX_Version value="2" />
        <CityDensity value="1.000000" />
        <PedVarietyMultiplier value="1.000000" />
        <VehicleVarietyMultiplier value="1.000000" />
        <PostFX value="3" />
        <DoF value="true" />
        <HdStreamingInFlight value="true" />
        <MaxLodScale value="1.000000" />
        <MotionBlurStrength value="0.000000" />

7. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    As I can see from the settings file he uses PCSS so no shadow box(if AjGamer is correct,I don't know because I don't use them),
    Shadow_SoftShadows value="3" is "softest"
    Shadow_SoftShadows value="5" is Nvidia PCSS

and about the
    "...in game settings distance never goes to 2.0"
    I can prove it because you seem hard to take others opinion to be true.. go to advance graphic settings and max out the extended shadow distance,then go and see the value in the xml file,you will see 2.0 . Put it now to the minimum ingame and check again,you will see 1.0 . (ofc untick read-only)

Clear?

About something else, in your first post you write:

and change them to this

Code:
        <Shadow_SplitZStart value="1.000000" />
        <Shadow_SplitZEnd value="0.999900" />
    and then you say that you use

And after that in your last post you say that you use the first ones,sorry maybe I don't get you clear,nevertheless the difference about these splitz values are not big change to rendered shadows so no hard feelings.
    I know that you try to help us all to make better shadows and that's all matters,too bad that PCSS aren't as strong as many of us prefer to see ingame but they are preferable to work best with your custom settings.

And last about performance, from 30s (or just above them) until 60s is a long way,so for me losing few fps below 60s is not acceptable,that's what happens in some areas that have many shadows (dynamic,rendered by moving objects) if I try all shadow settings tweak maxed and I don't prefer it. (biggest hits to performance are high resolution shadows,extended shadow distance to max, both under advanced settings, nothing else have a single fps impact for me)

8. mkeezay29

mkeezay29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 760 4GB
    Here it is without PCSS, soft shadows set to a value of 3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So no it isn't just Nvidias PCSS, the results can be achieved with any soft shadows.
    Never said I use.

I said those are the default settings

9. AjGamer

AjGamer Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Use sharp shadows and some chain link fences, you can easily do this by going to lesters house and change time to 10-12

10. fabiobad

fabiobad Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1
    Ok, i found the "culprit".

It have nothing to do with quality shadow of "secret settings", because all of setting that you have "tweaked" are the same that you can change in the game options.

Like i said, the "culprit" is the "Extended Shadow Distance" that is ugly bugged.

This is at 100%:

[​IMG]

This is at 0% :

[​IMG]

Yeah, i haven't swapped the screenshots, this setting is actually inverted, the "box" at 0% is much larger then 100%.

I don't know what is wrong with this game, but the solution is possible, is Rockstar that is dumb and don't give use the "tools" for fix this even better...

11. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    mkeezay29 correct,my bad sorry.

Ok men, though I played for some ingame days now using PCSS..and they don't look bad, not at all, maybe they did something during latest patches (?). During this last gameplay that ugly shadow box didn't appear at all,so I guess AjGamer was right about it. With Nvidia's shadows game looks "better" shadow speaking(lol), at least for now. Few more hours playing and it will show what's best for my tastes.

EDIT:

FABIOBAD yes,that "box" is rendered closer to character however if you look further you will notice that the blurry shadows are rendered further too,that's what "extend" setting does, it's the shadow distances in the xml file (as I already wrote before). And it's like Skyrim shadows thing (remember?),not the same,similar:

-further shadow distance (8000 was the maxed setting) = uglier/blurred but shadows rendered further

-shorter shadow distance (4000) = clear but after 10-15 meters not shadows at all

It's not a bug,it's how they wanted to have shadows ingame clearly for performance reasons.

12. mkeezay29

mkeezay29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 760 4GB
    Download OpenIV if you haven't already and look in the Data folders inside common.rpf and x64a.rpf, all the settings to completely fix the issue are there, we just can't edit them because R* didn't want mods ruining MP, I've already made optimization files, about 75% done converting handling.meta into GTA IVs handling using data from GTA IVs handling.dat, able to use cutscene quality lighting in game, there is soooo much that could have been changed by now, but I'm guessing within the next month or two the archives encryption will be fully busted and we'll be able to really tweak the hell out of it.

And yes the size of the box can be changed, but the goal is to make the transition between the box and lower res shadows as minimal as possible to give a more natural, less jarring appearance of the shadows.

13. fabiobad

fabiobad Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1
    I tried PCSS now and the shadow box is there, but is less noticeable because with PCSS the shadow are always a blurry mess :/

Those shadows aren't realistic at all, as they aren't the "hard" one.
    And on an AMD they takes away a lot of FPS.

14. boykimma

boykimma Active Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    what does the shader_ssa do?

15. mkeezay29

mkeezay29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 760 4GB
    It's adaptive super sampling, just does the edges of objects so it's not as demanding as true super sampling, pretty much advanced AA as it smooths out the edges of objects, but I still think it's a resource hog.

16. fabiobad

fabiobad Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1
    Thank you, I understand now.
    But i think that is still pretty stupid give us two options and neither of them are good.

Honestly now i'm using the 0% one, because when you are on foot you can at least enjoy more the environment without see that ugly box "creating" nicer shadows...

And honestly, at least on foot-car, i haven't seen all this advantage on the farther shadows with the 100% setting.

@mkeezay: damn.. so i think i'm gonna wait until september to play this game, after 4 years of wait XD

BTW i still can't play at 60HZ on fullscreen, so this isn't the only problem that i have with this game....

17. mkeezay29

mkeezay29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 760 4GB
    Well once OpenIV is done I can optimize all these files

Terrain Tesselation xml
    all presets xml (going to make the presets selectable in game so there will be Ultra, Ultra Optimized and so on)
    HDAO and SSAO xmls
    pedestrian and car lod xmls
    tree lod xml
    Water, cloud, fog and lensflare xmls
    and also deformation and particle XMLs as reducing values in those will likely give huge performance gains
    also fire settings xml and wind settings xml as well as the files Grassshadowlodsettings and grass lod settings to make grass look and move more naturally.

Should be really great, all the optimizations are pretty much done, just can't use them yet.

18. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    is there any chance to "unlock" the speed limiter for vehicles as well with this tool? I remember that there is a great similar mod for GTA4 ( and if I am right another to change from miles to kilometers correctly not just visually..)

19. mkeezay29

mkeezay29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 760 4GB
    Yes you can adjust vehicles speed and get rid of the limiter so they will go insanely fast, to change miles to KM there will need to be a script made that does the conversion, or the code in the game could be replaced with the proper values, speed and speedometer data are in their own files and there are a lot of values, replacing the file contents would be easiest, but I think making a new file and just adding a line in the file that points to it would be best as you could switch from one to another.

So I'm thinking I'll just make an installer that adds the new file, and modifies the other to point it towards the new file to read values, and if you want the same installer could point it back, but if I can find a way to do with it what I've done with my presets, which is make it selectable from the in game menu, I'll do that, so far I haven't figured that out, but every time I play with the UI and menu files I find something new to do so here's hoping.

As for making the speedometers in the cars display the speed in KM, the numbers on the texures will have to be replaced, and since the speedometers use DDS textures, they won't be hard to change once we can edit them.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  20. dollmaster

dollmaster Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 4GB
    Will it be possible to add dynamic shadows for the main characters? This is missing.