GTA V seems to now be a stuttery mess for me with Crimson driver and crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TonyTurbo, Dec 17, 2015.

1. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    here you go Sammarbella

[​IMG]

2. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Unless you want your game and some other applications to crash all the time, don't disable the Pagefile if you have CrossFire and 'only' 16GB of ram.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Any chance that by alt-tabbing you get windowed mode in the end and CFX is disabled, hence the smoothness?

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    A few games caused low memory warnings with 16GB RAM and no pagefile with CFX. COD Ghosts and GTA V. Not sure about other applications crashing unless they used > 16GB commit charge. Good advice though.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

5. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    what should I set Pagefile to then?

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    15/20GB. But you would be better off installing more RAM.

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Auto imo. Windows 10 seem very reluctant to use it. For me they have it set at 2900mb at this moment.

8. RexOmnipotentus

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Windows won't start to use the pagefile, unless you memory is nearly full. For me it start to use the pagefile if i have a commited charge of 14 - 15 GB.

The best thing to do is setting the begin size of the pagefile to 16MB. This will make sure that the pagefile is always 16MB, if it is not being used. You should set the maximum size to something like 10 GB or even higher. It's not very likely that the pagefile will become that big, but if it does (even for a brief moment), you wished you had a bigger pagefile. Your applications will start to crash immediately, if you are running out of memory (system + virtual).

I have played lords of the fallen recently and at some point my commited charge was 25 GB. That's why i advise a maximum size of 10GB or more. Most games won't use that much, but in case you need it, you want it.

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    They have 2 8GB VRAM cards though. If they're playing a game that likes to cache data in the VRAM, commit charge will quickly grow.

The reason I disable pagefile as it causes a system lockup for a second or two when it's accessed. Even when I have plenty of RAM free.

10. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I've had my fair share of GTA V stuttering issues with CF and FS. That being said, now with the right settings in a few places it's pretty much buttery smooth at 4K. This is what I'm using:
    FreeSync: enabled (33-60Hz on my monitor)
    RTSS: 59FPS limit
    AMD's terrible FRTC (FS doesn't work properly without it): 60FPS - FRTC seems to limit slightly below the target, but isn't as smooth as RTSS, hence why RTSS is set at 59 and FRTC at 60. This way I get a very smooth gameplay and no tearing. RTSS alone is very smooth but there is persistent tearing at the bottom of the screen
    VSync: disabled
    Shader Cache: enabled
    Use ClockBlocker: it's meant to stop AMD's "power saving" from throttling GPU clocks and causing stutter. ClockBlocker itself isn't essential, just make sure your GPU clocks aren't dropping

This gets me very smooth performance at 4K in most situations. Some very grassy areas can make the FPS drop under 60, but that's not really an AMD/CF/Crimson issue as far as I'm aware. I also sometimes used to get random, persistent stutter that would be fixed with 2xAlt+Enter (switching to windowed and then back immediately), but this has stopped happening lately. No idea if it's because of Crimson 15.11.1, a GTA update or something else.

Before upgrading to 4K I used to play at 2560x1440 with 8GB RAM. GTA V ran very, very well for me back then as long as I had in-game VSync enabled. I wasn't using FS at that time. Now FS + FPS limit feels even smoother. The limit is there in order to keep frame times in check and to keep FPS within the FS interval so I don't get tearing.

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Do you have pagefile enabled? If you do, is it on a HDD or SSD?

12. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    Yes, it's enabled and automatically managed. Currently it's at 2560MB on W8.1. I played GTA V on W10 as well, didn't notice a difference in performance, it ran well in both cases.

13. jono24776

jono24776 Member

GPU:
    Palit GameRock GTX1080
    It does that if I just alt tab in and out but if I Alt enter it goes to proper fullscreen and cards are utilized

14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I probably don't get how FreeSync works, but if you have it enabled, doesn't that mean that the max frame rate is always 60 and it's vsynced until it drops to 33?

Have you checked with the driver CFX indicator on? This issue reminds me of a similar one I had in AC:Unity. The Windows 8.1/WDDM 1.3 driver would stutter a bit at points if I had texture quality on Ultra. Nothing really annoying. The Win10/WDDM 2.0 driver would half the frame rate and it would sometimes fix by alt-tabbing. They are changing a lot of things in memory management I believe.

15. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    No, FreeSync itself doesn't lock your frame rate to anything, it simply works within the interval specified. If the FPS is above or below that, it's not activated. If you have FreeSync + VSync activated, then it will vsync to 60FPS, but instead of VSync I'd rather have a frame rate limiter, since in some games I can feel the extra input lag.

16. jono24776

jono24776 Member

GPU:
    Palit GameRock GTX1080
    I have just tried with the CFX indicator, the indicator disappears and reappears as you would expect when Alt Tab and Alt enter out and into GTA V

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Well, well.

Interesting stuff.

Thank you very much.

:)

As Rex said don't disable PF cause you don't have enough margin only with your REAL RAM.

The in-game VRAM needed indicator pic could be useful.(like my fourth pic).

Can you please post yours?

There is something strange i see comparing your pics with mine.

The committed bytes by GTAV.exe is similar to mine (my third pic compared to your resource monitor pic value), around 11 GB but the total committed bytes is 3 GB lower.

It seems all other processes including OS ones only need 2.5 GB in your case, what is a hell of optimization for Windows 10!

Maybe there is something different at game settings level, mine are all maxed but advanced in game settings who are turned off.

As Rex suggested in an other thread the VRAM "cached" as committed ram should be dynamically allocated instead of been "locked" as a "block" (or two in CFX case).

If not it will be impossible for you to run this game without pagefile.

If this is true your FPS drops could occur while more commits are needed near your RAM limit.

This near limit theory is really interesting.

Two days ago i was playing Black Mesa, the Half-Life 1 remake using Gedosato at a nice 8K to 1080p downsampling with all in games settings but MSAA "only" at x4.

FPS were high (45-75) butcommitted ram was 30.5 GB !!!! and i experienced this fps drop each few seconds, like a micro-freeze.

Maybe it's the new elusive Windows 10 TH2 memory algorithm trying to catch up commit needs compressing mem when the commits reach a certain commit charge (+85%)?¿?¿

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  18. RexOmnipotentus

GPU:
    Vega 64
    It's not a theory, it's something you can read on the microsoft site (this is about windows 7):
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/what-is-virtual-memory#1TC=windows-7

It has nothing to do with HT2. Virtual memory/the pagefile will be used to prevent a memory shortage. It makes sense that windows will only start using the pagefile if the ram is nearly maxed out.

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I know what virtual memory is and why it's used since MS-DOS or in Unix/Linux (swap).

To solves mem request when there is not enough REAL RAM installed in the computer.

The question is:

What is the trigger to start using PF?

85% of REAL RAM committed?80%90%?

In my case there is no PF so what happen when the REAL RAM is almost all committed and the PF usage trigger is in action?

Is TH2 new mem algorythm doing something different in case of no PF or PF completely filled?

This new technique is supposed to compress some REAL RAM portion to rely less in PF (less HDD/SDD read/writes) and improve performance.

Maybe in some cases the on/off transitions of this technique is not perfect due to be in the limit and we see micro-freezes as result.

IDK.

20. RexOmnipotentus

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Now i see what you mean. I don't know what exactly triggers windows to start using the pagefile. All i know is that it happens somewhere between 14 and 15 GB for me (= around 90%).