GTA V random crashes

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by dualloop, Jan 4, 2020.

1. dualloop

dualloop Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super 8GB
    Hi all,

I've been struggling to get GTA V to run correctly on my new PC.
    While the game will start and get to the main menu, it doesn't run within the open world properly.

When the game has finished loading, I get either of the two scenario's below:
    • The game starts to fade into the open world and instantly crashes. This will also partially lock the PC temporarily and and require a force quit several times before the application actually quits, sometimes requiring a PC restart
    • The open world will load properly and I am able to play the game for around 5 minutes before the game crashes. While the video crashes, the sound continues and after around 10 seconds, the game quits to the desktop with the error message "GTA V quit unexpectedly"
    I've also noticed that when the Rockstar Games titles run before the game starts, the video is initially glitchy with parts missing but corrects itself after a few seconds.

I am running the game with all the standard options set to their highest, excluding Grass which is set to normal as I understand this is quite intensive, and I am getting 60FPS minimum when it loads correctly so it seems that the card can handle these graphics settings initally.

I am using the version from the Rockstar Games Launcher and have re-downloaded the game again, in case it was a faulty install which didn't help.
    I have also installed an older version of the graphics driver which also didn't help and all chipset drivers are up to date.

This is the only game that I am struggling to get to run correctly.
    Max Payne 3, which uses the same engine, runs without an issue with all graphics options at max as does all the RTX tech demos so it seems to be an issue with GTA V.

Does anyone have any further suggestions or may have had a similar issue?
    I did read that the game initially had compatibility issues with Windows 10 but these look to have been patched by Rockstar.

EDIT: I've removed Advanced SystemCare as this has caused issues in the past with certain PC games.
    GTA V was playable for around 30 minutes this time but crashed to the desktop with the same error.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there is history of 9x00 processors having bad pcie controllers, that only crash with RTX cards (but do not with pascal or older) as well as Riser boards/cables being a problem.

This looks like hardware misbehavior.

3. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Does running the game in windowed mode help? That's an easy check.