gta 5 crossfire does not work properrly!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fullban, Apr 14, 2015.

1. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    have you tried searching for "Grand theft auto" in CCC. i will see if i find something when i get home

2. jaju123

jaju123 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    No profiles appear for any GTA game in the drivers, for some reason, but it does work.
    The stuttering is also present with AFR friendly mode, BF4 profile, and BF3 profile. Optimise 1x1 causes a lot of visual errors and low fps.
    I also tried turning on and off the frame pacing but there was no difference.

3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Ok I hope AMDMatt can answer the questions here

4. xx4L0Mxx

xx4L0Mxx Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 970GTX 4G
    ULPS disabled, makes no difference.

EDIT :

I appear to have sorted out my problems.

GTA V tells me that 2 x 4gb r9 290 gives me 8gb of Video Ram.......? ok surely I still only have 4GB but, whatever.

I initially was told by GTA V that I was using about 4731 Video Memory.

So, I chose Ignore recommended settings, Turned off FXAA, put MSAAx2 ON, Banged up all settings to their Highest setting either "Very High" or "Ultra" depending on what setting could be maxxed out.

GTA V reported I'm now using about 6750 Video Memory.

In-Game :

1080p, my frames ranged from 90-150 constantly, occasionally spiking down to 48 then back up again, this was when the stuttering/skipped frames were occurring.

I bumped my res up to 2560x1440 VSR resolution, and my frames went down to a consistent 80-90 frames per second.......with NO MORE stuttering.

I tried VSR res of 3200x1800 and it's pretty much a consistent 54-65 frames per second.......with NO stuttering.

So, I have settled on 2560x1440p with V-sync ON, and my stuttering has gone and I'm at a smooth frame rate consistently.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    A "Back to the future" DX12 GPU unified multi-gpu Vram in GTA V....without DX12 :D

If the game reads wrongly he have 8 GB, 4731 MB or even 6750 Vram
    avalaible in place of the real 4096 MB this is not good.

This could lead to a problem with Vram and Ram management by the game.

Something like when a game try to access the sloooooow last half GB in a Nvidia 970 3,5+05 GB and it ends using regular ram to bypass the snail and in fact not really avalaible last portion of Vram memory.

6. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    not all profiles are exposed.

If they are in the driver itself, you wont seem them.

check here:

http://www.kn00tcn.net/site/ati-catalyst-profiles/

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I didn't try to give any offence, it was because the PCIe arrangement on the motherboard is usually the source of most CFX/SLI problems I have encountered. Also, your description of the game working properly and then halting for a moment and then the same again, sounded like some kind of I/O bottleneck to me.
    By the way, I haven't seen anybody else except you two complaining about Crossfire with this title, so it would be nice if we could pin down what it is, even for academic purposes.

My next bet is on the bios revision of your cards, and/or the PCIe power saving setting in Windows, which also another reason that this might happen.

8. keto

keto New Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire Tri-X R9-290
    I have also been having this problem with crossfired 290s in GTA V. The game runs very smooth with a single card, but enabling crossfire causes constant freezing, most noticeable when driving around.

Single card GPU usage is 99%, and frame rate is a smooth 90-100fps. With crossfire enabled and the same settings it is pretty unplayable, GPU usage is around 40% on each card. Don't have this issue with other games and crossfire.

Settings are a mix of high/very high, AA turned off @ 1080p, 120Hz. Using a fresh win8.1 install and the latest 15.4 beta driver, all power saving stuff like ULPS and pci-e link management are off, set to high performance in windows power settings. 3D clocks are fixed at their correct speed and there aren't any temperature issues.

edit: All vsync and frame limiting is also off.

9. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Yes ,what is most intriguing for me is low GPU usage/load goes from 40% to 60% or even 80% on both GPU's !!! Do I have a CPU bottleneck or what? I'll post pictures to prove it.

10. Aioras

Aioras Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    Sorry guys, something must be wrong here, with latest drivers I got both of my card running properly. I use max settings at 1080p v-sync and almost perfect 60fps all the time.

11. keto

keto New Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire Tri-X R9-290
    Seems to mainly be an issue with people running at high refresh? Most people who have it working fine are capping at 60fps.

12. Shadowfax217

Shadowfax217 New Member

GPU:
    MSI 290X x2 CFX
    I'm running 2 290X in crossfire and I'm getting this problem too with latest 15.4 drivers. Game is unplayable with CF on, and smooth as hell when only using one card. I'm starting to wonder if it's an issue with dual monitors? I'm running the game off my main (left) at 1440p.

I can't speak for everyone but to those running dual monitors, are you running into this problem? When I get home tonight, I'll unplug one and see if it makes any difference.

I noticed too that another user mentioned the problem ceased after enabling "Ignore recommended settings", I will also try this and see what happens. It could be something to do with the game thinking VRAM stacks or something :/

13. jaykop

jaykop Active Member

GPU:
    1080 g1 gaming sli
    Hello i have 2 x 290x 8gb cards in crossfire and it is a major freeze when driving in certain parts of the map in crossfire mode but in single card mode it drops below 60 fps sometimes but still really smooth so from my point of view crossfire is broken ......:bang:

14. hegrog

hegrog New Member

GPU:
    2x8GB
    This is my problem too

Ok. I totally agree with the poster. Any problem really have the Crossfire. Many friends, reports to me that their configuration run ok to 60FPS, of course, in low levels like a Textures Normal, Shadows Normal, etc. And others in High levels.

I have in crossfire, 2 GPU R9 270x Dual X with 4GB each one. Since the GTA Release i cant played because, i wanna to configure correctly but was impossible.

1. When i disabled the crossfire (only one target), like say the poster, run smoothly, and ever report 30 and 40 FPS, all time. And when exist the change 40 FPS to 30 FPS, nothing happen, i mean, no cuts, no drop frames, no shuttering. And in the configuration 3GB from the 4GB are taken. But really the game experience its totally ok.

2. When i have crossfire enabled, its a problem, with the game, because, visually when you are in one only point is incredible. But when you start to drive or fight or whatever that have movement. All the pretty of the videogames dies. Flashing, shuttering, dropframes, and is imposible play there. Really the eyes it cant accept that horror.

I had test since that day, (I wont play the history, i wont play online, just for testing.) all, listen to me, all possible configuration. I read oceans of information, and only i see, problems and more problems and issues with the AMD, is like a problem with COD GHOST, who dont have support for crossfire, and i lost my money, because i buyed de premiun version. In this moment, i play COD BO2, that have a beatifull crossfire support.

ok, i have a Mainboard "REPUBLIC OF GAMER - FORMULA V" really have many configuration for overcloaking CPU in my case FX6100, i believe to change my processor for a new of them, but i test a only one GPU and it works. Really the problem is not there in the processor, or power energy alimentation, or RAM, or PAGE FILE. The problem is that dont exist any person in AMD or group or development, that have the face to say, look folks, i probe it the GAME in crossfire with this configuration, try to make that and it works. NO the just wait that the people growth hangry and just response stupids forums.

Sorry, i dons have a solution for the problem, but must exists.

I try to test new changes, new power supply, i dont know others workarounds.

Its impossible, that i change all the configuration to LOWWW, and nothing happens with crossfire, impossible. What happen with that companies. Just sell and sell. And the problem, are the only ones, same with the processors, and nothing happens, not advanced, not new products that really change the game world, only more 1GB of RAM, more RAM and processor clock.

Sorry folks, but i dont sleep try to solve this, really i dont understand, why its happen.

AMD<- :rpg: <-ME

15. Illyrian

Illyrian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080ti
    This game is the best optimized PC game to come along in a long time, that's not up for dispute it's fact, it's been confirmed by ALL the major video game blogs, websites, gameplay and performance review sites, etc....

But I suggest some of you guys quit wasting time trying to convince us insisting that crossfire is broken and it's not your fault.... to really look at your systems and dig around a little bit, configure some things, re-install others, and so on and so forth...

And yes I'm aware that driving around especially at high speed makes for some bad framerate drops at times, that's an issue these types of games have, it will get better with further drivers and game patches however. But if you want to continue wasting more time nerd raging, well that's lost playing time really.

And I understand when a game gets released that's so horribly broken and people say it doesn't work right and it's actually true (Watch Dogs for example) but this case it's absolutely not true, because although it's still not perfectly optimized (which will happen eventually) crossfire is NOT broken, and neither is this game.

16. jaju123

jaju123 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    Try it in single gpu mode too lol, literally zero drops ever, v.s. many in crossfire.

17. Illyrian

Illyrian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080ti
    yes what I'm saying is it's not perfect, crossfire that is. I MEAN IT'S A BETA DRIVER FROM AMD DO PEOPLE EVEN UNDERSTAND THAT ???

BUT IT WORKS.... i mean what can you expect from a beta driver and AMD... especially when they're spending all their time working on DirectX 12 and Windows 10

18. fullban

fullban Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS GeForce 1080ti
    yep its really annoying

release the dam r9 390x already!!

19. Illyrian

Illyrian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080ti
    I'm having the same framerate drops as you guys in here with my crossfire setup, especially when I'm driving around....

But I'm not on here posting about how it's "completely" broken with rage emoji's all over my post.

People need to understand what it is.... it's a Beta, from AMD... and the game JUST came out... if you're a PC gamer you should know what those things mean

another thing too, is people REALLY need to understand the Advanced Graphics and what they really are and who they're for... those options being set to maximum are probably singlehandedly responsible for most of the framerate issues people are having.
    take a look at Biscuit's video which goes into detail and explains it all really well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEYJS799dI

20. fullban

fullban Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS GeForce 1080ti
    I have my settings on all normal/off in both crossfire and single it jumps all over the place when xfire enabled