gta 5 crossfire does not work properrly!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fullban, Apr 14, 2015.

1. goobertron

goobertron New Member

GPU:
    280X Xfire
    Just thought i'd chime in and report that my 280x Crossfire setup doesn't work properly either. I have most settings on max at 1440p, FPS is generally good (high 50's) despite low GPU utilization (55-80%) and stutters horribly, particularly when driving.

2. Keno34

Keno34 Member Guru

GPU:
    R290 1150/1600
    I'ved posted that 10 times...Try Bf Hardline profile for GTA V!!!!
    95% usage on both GPU most of the time!!!
    At least on my 6990
    :banana:

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Doesn't improve anything here.

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I saw it before but didn't try.

What means "most of the time"?

Playing inside buildings?

Are you getting stuttering with this profile?

What are your in-game settings and what about FPS while driving or running?

Last edited: May 2, 2015

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Thanks to report and save my time trying "one user solutions"... :)

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    2560x1600 works fine downsampling, game looks good. Stutter and low GPU scaling is still there with the default crossfire profile and with the BF Hardline profile.
    Not much else I can do but disable crossfire.

One thing I'm not sure about though is how AMDMatt reported his 4x290x system playing GTA V (with low FPS at 4k) having a brilliant time. Unless it's because he was running 8x MSAA or they optimized for 4x GPU's?

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The contrary.

I saw a post from him in ukoclockers (don't rember exactly) were he said he disabldd MSAA COMPLETELY.

Let a few minutes to give some juice and boot up my tablet were i have the link...I think i posted here already.

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Even without MSAA the game stutters like crazy. I'm going to switch to Windows 10 IP to do some tests but I'm getting sick of it :)

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Well you know the universal AMD fix for crossfire problems...disable crossfire!

295x2 owners must be soooo happy with the AMD flagship: no 4K VSR due to crossfire problems in GCN 1.1 and no crossfire Freesync and the need to create or modif crossfire prolifes to DISABLE the use half of their paid GPUs to be able to play a lot of games properly.

I found the link with AMDMatt GTA V recommendations for 295x2 (2x290x also?) and quad 290x:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27957061&postcount=368

MSAA DISABLED

Reflection MSAA DISABLED

Grass HIGH (NO ULTRA)

Extended distance scaling OFF

Extended shadow distance OFF

Looking at the pics he posted from in-game settings the game is not even using half VRAM RAM.

Edit to add:

Do you expect a DX12 GTA V version in W10?

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    The distance scaling and the shadow distance are more tied to the CPU subsystem of the game, than the GPU I believe, same for the grass.

(Btw, VRAM RAM sounds like a nom nom monster game engine that eats gpu memory :D )

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I agree with distance for both we have a good example of this in the recent Dying Light these graphic settings are CPU related.

What about MSAA and reflection MSAA? :D

And for VRAM the game is not even using 4 GB of the 8GB VRAM from his quad 290X 8GB GPUs...

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Not at all. AMD drivers for Windows 10 should be on a different branch to Windows 8.1
    I'm hoping for better performance.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    This AMDMatt post seems to have some interesting info about GPU downclocking in GTA V:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27963015&postcount=2003

I don't have GPU downclocking here cause my GPU clocks are fixed always at higher state (3D) but this problem could have collateral consequence in GPU usage...

...Who knows?

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I know it, i mean that in the future Rockstar could release a remaster of GTA V in DX12 who fix all this troubles and add some fancy graphics using DX 12 advantages.

A new full payment of course. :D

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I read something about Asynchronous shaders earlier that are being used in AMD GPU's since Mantle and DX12. The PS4 is taking advantage of them supposedly.
    That and the 3DMark overhead test and the Star Swarm DX12 also the Unreal Engine 4 multi-adapter test are positive.
    If porting DX11 games over to DX12 isn't too difficult and is done for other games I'll have hope. Right now I doubt it 99% :)

16. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Take a look at the "remaster plague" on PS4 and expect the same in PC with DX12 rise for a FULL game price of course.

If Rockstar smells $$$ from and easy DX11 to 12 port a "GTA V True HD FantaFabulous DX12 Remastered Edition" will be launched.

No doubts here! :D

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    AMD drivers are very unstable under Windows 10 IP 10074. Display issues, takes about 30 seconds for the display to catch on at startup (delays startup by 30 seconds). Changing display mode in GTA V causes the monitor to sleep forever.
    GTA V stutters like crossfire is enabled with a single GPU.
    I know Windows 10 is in preview...

Also crossfire isn't supported with the drivers I'm on (from Windows update).
    Positive thing. Downsampling is still possible with CRU.

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    A few versions ago (10041 i think) drivers worked very well (April 1 ones) but right now i don't spent time trying because the OS versions are changing very fast from 10041>10049>10061>10074...

19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'll make a backup of the OS and go back later. What happened to crossfire? Lol.

20. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    Crossfire isn't working properly for me either. Even when I drop all settings to just high(1440p), 25% sliders, no advanced options, I'll get a stable 60 FPS but there are constant hitches when driving around and in the flying portion of the benchmark. Frametimes are all over jumping up to 80-100 ms every couple of seconds.

With the exact same settings on a single card I get 60-50 FPS and no stuttering.