GSYNC......leave VSYNC on or Off?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Ultra Male, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    But...don't you notice the tearing when your go past your refresh rate? Which driver are you running?

2. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @Agent-A01 Regarding what you're saying above, I think notably, RealNC pointed out some meaningful benefits to "G-Sync ON + V-Sync OFF" when compared with "G-Sync ON + V-Sync ON" in the Nvidia Control Panel in this thread: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/the-truth-about-pre-rendering-0.365860/page-25

If you start at the top of that page and scroll down it's discussed there -- apparently having V-Sync OFF can result in some occasional tearing even if you're within the G-Sync range, however, it can improve cases where games "hitch" or have a sudden drop in framerate going off of what jormint/RealNC are saying there.

For example, in Crysis 3 when you hit a checkpoint, the game "freezes" momentarily -- if I'm understanding them correctly, G-Sync + V-Sync OFF in the control panel + OFF in-game can help better mitigate that though at the cost of some occasional tearing.

I have encountered games where forcing V-Sync OFF in the control panel "breaks" G-Sync entirely (Sekiro for example), but those appear to be the exception in my experience.

fluidz likes this.
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I shall bump this year old thread as I now have first hand knowledge on the subject. Using this monitor https://www.newegg.com/pixio-px275h-27-wqhd/p/0JC-0081-00030?Item=0JC-0081-00030, with HDMI 2.0, Display Port 1.2, 1660 Ti, and driver version 446.14

First off HDMI sucks. If your monitor and GPU support Display Port use it, otherwise you're not getting the most out of them. Funny I even have to mention this because of all the monitor reviews I've watched recently and I've watched a lot, not one person ever mentioned the advantages of Display Port. HDMI will not support G-Sync and despite using your monitors native refresh rate, you will get tearing, stuttering, and an overall poor experience. Display Port offers a noticeable and vastly improved gaming experience as it allow your monitor to do what it was designed to do.

Second, it seems people are still wondering if you use G-Sync, should you disable V-Sync? In my case leave them both enabled in the NV Control Panel. If you disable V-Sync and go above your monitor's refresh rate you're gonna get tearing, even if G-Sync is enabled. Keep V-Sync enabled so you never go above your monitor's refresh rate, and let G-Sync handle everything else. Reading through some past news about this it seems input lag was an issue for many when using this method, but I can honestly say it is not an issue at all and I've tested probably 10 games in the last few days. GTA V, Plague Tale, Hellblade, Max Payne 3, TitanFall 2, Metro Exodus, Witcher 3, etc.

This may be old news, but it might be a good subject to bring back up.

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  4. liluglymane

liluglymane New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Just came across this thread and even though it's older, I want to leave some information that I didn't see mentioned above. I think G-Sync and other variable refresh rate technologies are meant to be implemented as alternatives to vsync, but I noticed I still had some screen tearing with only G-Sync.

The solution that fixed this in 99% of cases was to choose "enable for full-screen and windowed mode" under the set up G-Sync tab of NVIDIA's control panel. Not sure how this relates to my particular setup but it's one thing to look at if you're trying to troubleshoot problems with your own setup.

Even with that option, I still got tearing in some games that are bound to 60fps like Dark Souls II and Skyrim: SE. What solved this for me was another feature in the 3d settings for specific programs called "Low Latency Mode" with the setting "Ultra". The description says: Select Ultra to prioritize latency by fully minimizing queued frames. In addition, this mode minimizes VSYNC latency when both VSYNC and G-SYNC are enabled.