GSYNC......leave VSYNC on or Off?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Ultra Male, Feb 10, 2017.

1. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 ULTR/HYBR
    After all the insight exchanged (what makes these forums invaluable) this seems the most sensible to me. Will stick with the "on in Nvidia panel, off in-game" but with FPS limiter set to 98fps. Thx mates.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. rla1999

rla1999 Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080 TI FE
    I have vsync on globally and set to off in games but with cap at my monitor refresh rate of 144 hrtz in game. I see its best to make it 142 but is it better to set this in each game or globally? Or does it even make a difference?

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    In-game limiters usually give the least latency. If a game does not have an in-game limiter, or the in-game limiter has too much microstutter, then use RTSS.

4. rla1999

rla1999 Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080 TI FE
    Thanks

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Why would you turn VSYNC ON and then cap your fps to -3 lower than your refresh rate? VSYNC would never be used, as you won't be hitting your max refresh rate. As it only turns on when you reach or exceed the max refresh rate.

I have a GSYNC monitor and it was a nice little fad in the beginning but now I just don't bother with it. I use 144Hz with GSYNC and VSYNC off completely. No need for it as tearing is barely noticeable at this refresh rate, and when fps in games is above 120fps you will have to be superman to spot the tearing.

I suppose if you have an IPS panel with higher response times then GSYNC would be the better option. As most TN/LCD panels have 1ms or under reponse times.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    You're shooting yourself in the foot dude, i suggest you read this article thoroughly.

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/

You are lacking the correct information, lots of tests in there.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Also, even with a 144Hz 1ms TN, the tearing is still intolerable for me. I'm very happy for you that you don't care about it, and a bit envious too (I'd LOVE to not be able to see tearing), but unfortunately, I can see it very, very, very, very clearly and it's very, very, very, very, very annoying.

And btw, tearing looks exactly the same on my 144Hz 1ms TN and my 165Hz 4ms IPS. There is zero difference.

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    Tearing has nothing to do with response rates, and it is noticeable. Simply you tinfoil and placebo too much.

9. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Gsync or Vsync improves IQ u get a smoother IMAGE then without it.

10. rla1999

rla1999 Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080 TI FE
    How are your settings now both globally? And in games? Trying to set them myself using best combination. I have a gsync monitor

11. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 TI
    that was very useful gave it a nice read and tried out the settings for overwatch and it seems, nice and smooth. learned alot from this thread, thanks for posting that!

from my understanding, Set Vsync on in nvidia control panel and leave it off in game, and if the game supports FPS limiting, limit your fps -2 (if your monitor is 144hz then limit to 142hz) from your monitors refresh rate for best experience(no tear and low input delay).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Correct.

Always use ingame FPS limiter if it's good, aka stable and does not cause microstutter lag.

Otherwise use RTSS.

13. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    ^

This.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Note that sometimes there's microstutter with in-game limiters. If you come across it, RTSS fixes it. Witcher 3's limiter for example has this issue (not 100% of the time, it happens at random.)

Other random games have the same issue. I played "Lost Horizon" for example a couple days ago, and the in-game limiter also has microstutter. Many other games I played the past months had the problem too. I forgot which games they are (I don't keep a list.)

It's a very common issue. It's not a huge amount of microstutter. It's a slight hint of judder most people don't notice. If you ever asked yourself "is there a tiny bit of judder here?" then try RTSS. It will be 100% silky smooth in most instances.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    This last part was interesting:
    While NVCP V-SYNC has no input lag reduction over in-game V-SYNC, and when used with G-SYNC + FPS limit, it will never engage, some in-game V-SYNC solutions may introduce their own frame buffer or frame pacing behaviors, enable triple buffer V-SYNC automatically (not optimal for the native double buffer of G-SYNC), or simply not function at all, and, thus, NVCP V-SYNC is the safest bet.

There are rare occasions, however, where V-SYNC will only function with the in-game option enabled, so if tearing or other anomalous behavior is observed with NVCP V-SYNC (or visa-versa), each solution should be tried until said behavior is resolved.

Since I jumped the bandwagon I always used ingame V-sync which turns out to be wrong.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Oh I can relate. I never used vsync at all (off in games, off in NVCP) since I got my Gsync screen last year and haven't even had a reason to complain. I guess I'll have to set some things differently when upgrading to a newer driver soon.

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Note that in most cases, in-game vsync will work fine. Most games don't do frame pacing trickery that is tied to their vsync setting, and they also don't enable triple buffer automatically. But in those games, NVCP vsync does the same thing as in-game vsync, so there's no benefit to prefer in-game vsync.

If you wonder what the reverse situation is, where "some games" don't work well with in-game vsync, just take a look at most Bethesda open world games. If you use Fallout 4's in-game vsync (enabled by default unless you turn it off in an ini file), the game is literally unplayable with g-sync. So in games that do that kind of stuff, nvcp vsync does have a big advantage.

So: most of the time, in-game vsync and nvcp vsync work exactly the same. In some uncommon instances, nvcp vsync works better. And in some very rare instances, in-game vsync works better. So overall, in-game vsync off and nvcp vsync on covers the majority of the games. Which is why it's the "rule of thumb" recommendation :)

18. rla1999

rla1999 Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080 TI FE
    Awesome. It's how I was planning on doing it. Thanks

19. rla1999

rla1999 Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080 TI FE
    Good to know. Thanks

20. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    been looking for an explanation like this for a long time nice one! So frame limit capped to at least 2 fps below max refresh :D

I did think when i was hitting 165fps in BF1 it felt a tiny bit off , just imagined i was imagining it