grrr @ AMD systems

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by outlaw88, Jan 5, 2005.

1. outlaw88

outlaw88 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I've never enjoyed my experiences with AMD systems. I used to have a P4 and it worked flawlessly in the Windows environment. I've had to repair a lot of my friends AMD systems and my old P4 rig never gave me any problems. I juss built my first AMD system for x-mas (shown at the right) and I've got to say I'm very disapointed. The multitasking with my FX-55 doesn't even begin to touch the Pentium 4's HT technology. I've also noticed lag in my mouse whenever the CPU comes under even the tiniest bit of load. It's not major but it's noticable to my eyes. I can't install windows using the NVRAID, the NVLAN is supposedly 10/100/1000 capable speeds and it only gives me about 1mb/s whereas my P4C800-E Deluxe mobo's LAN was giving me 3mb/s speeds (and every other comp in the house has speeds @ 3mb/s), I've formatted about 5 times since I've got this damn thing due to driver issues with my graphics cards, Windows keeps giving me warnings about corrupt hard drive files etc. etc. etc. I mean if its not one thing that goes wrong its something else.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  2. KILL BILL

KILL BILL Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X850 XTPE
    I dont think AMD is the problem i think your just new to the way AMD stuff works, youll get the hand of it m8

3. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    ill swop you a shi**y p4 ht for an athlon fx 55 :D

4. Orlandoe211

Orlandoe211 Guest

Reformet and DO NOT install SP2... it doesnt get along with AMD very well.

AMD is FARRRRR better than INTELIJUNK

5. DboneU68

DboneU68 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 XT
    If you would rather have a good P4 i'll trade ya for sure

6. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Well mate, i have virtually an identical system to you (no SLI yet - 2nd GT arrives sat), and I would have to say I have had the complete oposite experience to you! I love it... it flies. The A8N is totally stable, and has not given me one problem. Windows has gone on my RAID straight away without an issue, my LAN is working at 100mbs (cant use 1gb cos my router is only 10/100). As to the FX chip, the thing FLIES. Its a well known fact that A64's arent as good as P4's in multitasking cos of the lack of HT, and the same in encoding, but in virtually everthing else they are faster. Particularly in FPU intensive apps like games because they have a shorter pipeline. TBH though, i have not had any noticable lag when multitasking, nothing that stops me from doing what im doing anyway.
    If you want an interesting comparason, and CPU test, grab yourself (I see u are a UK guy too) a copy of this months CustomPC as they have a CPU megatest and its well worth a read.

7. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Dude I would so gladly trade you computers if you don't like yours......or I could wait like I am to build my own.

8. outlaw88

outlaw88 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Well maybe you guys could help me out with some of these problems. First, how do I get the NVRAID to work? Whenever I go to install windows I get to the part where you choose the partition you want to install it on but when I have it on the NVRAID SATA ports on the mobo it sees them as 2 different hard drives and yes I have gone into the NVRAID BIOS and already setup a RAID array. Next, how do I get my internet speed back up to par? I know that with my old Intel LAN it came with the IntelPRO set program and you could determine the speed at which it ran at. Next, what is up with the damn mouse lag? its sooooo annoying. I don't know at which point it starts to happen, I guess i'll juss have to pay attention to that when I format again. Finally, why am I gettin corrupt files?? Are my hard drives going out?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  9. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    SLI is still brand new technology. Its a crap shoot. Some new boards may work great right out of the box, others may take bios/driver upgrades. You have a smokin' system, and need to hang in there with it. I used to be die-hard intel fan, and then I tried AMD one day. Never looked back.

I dont think you have a AMD problem. I think you may have a mobo problem, or bad memory. Are you overclocking at all? Check all you settings in bios. Mem timings, etc.

10. outlaw88

outlaw88 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    no I haven't overclocked at all yet, I haven't had the system running stable for a long enough period of time to even begin to think about that. Looking at CPU-Z and the memory timings look ok...i duno wut the last 2 are though
    CAS: 2
    RAS to CAS: 2
    RAS precharge: 2
    Cycle Time: 5
    Bank Cycle Time: 11
    DRAM Idle time: 16

11. gotkookie

gotkookie Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 6800GT @ 360/1100
    Im curious how do you no install sp2? I would like to do this.

To the thread starter: I dont know what your talking about, my a64 3400 running at 3800 speeds. Runs better than my p4 ever did.

12. outlaw88

outlaw88 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    To the thread starter: I dont know what your talking about, my a64 3400 running at 3800 speeds. Runs better than my p4 ever did. [/B][/QUOTE]

yeah well mines not lol

13. gotkookie

gotkookie Master Guru

GPU:
    That mouse thing sounds a little wierd. Theres definitely something wrong but I dont think its the processor. Most likely bad ram/bad hdd or if your really unlucky bad mobo.

14. Djin

Djin Guest

No offense, I just think outlaw88 is an idiot.

Do you have your PC underclocked to a 2Mhz? I'm confused here...

AMD-FX55 is pure speed... it's the best. If it's not working, RMA your CPU and get another one.

If it's still not to your liking, I'll sell you my PIII 450Mhz...

15. outlaw88

outlaw88 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I never said it wasn't pure speed u dip s*** but obviously im having problems with mine.

16. gotkookie

gotkookie Master Guru

GPU:
    Call up amd. Tell them about your problem. They may have a solution.

17. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    Same here
    I think the a8n sli dlx is the cats meow! But I cant get a nvidia pci-e vid card for love or money so I had to stick in a x600xt to get me running so i can work out the o/cin on the board, once I worked out the memory it has ran as sweet as better mem timings I have ever had the only thing that maybe a down side is only cpu 1.65v max

I didnt bother with the nv raid used the silicon one seems ok

18. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    For NvRAID, you dont only have to go into the RAID bios, but go into system BIOS, and enable RAID in there, and then on each of the SATA ports you want to have a RAID drive attached too. Then go create your array, reboot, load up windows setup from the CD. Make sure you have made your floppy disk with the RAID drivers on it (the image for the disk is on the drivers CD) hit F6 when it says 'Hit F6 to install RAID/SCSI drivers at the bottom of the screen (keep an eye, it flashes up quick! especially on an FX55!) and then install the RAID drivers from the Floppy disk when prompted. Continue to set up windows normally and it will (should) detect your array fine.

19. Opty

Opty Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Gecube x1900xtx
    gotkookie

just install sp1 and then turn off automatic updates

Then update from custom install from windows update not express

20. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    umm just wondering...what IS the problem with SP2 (i really don't know haha)...seems to be a lot of people saying it's bad and stuff