Growing SSD demand will stop NAND flash prices from dropping

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 18, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    Incoming price increase because "demand is so high by phone+laptop maker's" , i can already smell the BS price increase on SSD's :))

3. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Ram prices in the uk right now are utter BS it's the one thing putting me off upgrading also ssd prices have dropped insanely and are still dropping so it doesn't really make sense.

4. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    For me, this is a bunch of bullshit excuses.
    Nands are necessary nowadays much more than before.
    But the way that nand producers wants to us to think, is that it's just a bad time where they can't produce enough because it's a special time in industry blah blah blah.

For me that is all bullshit.
    The only thing true about it, is that Nands are now much more necessary than before, because it's true, more smartphones, mining, more GPUs, SSDs, and servers relying a lot too in SSDs recently.
    But.. if there is so much demand, how about actually build more labs?
    ohh... I know, that requires money and they make more money selling the same ammount of Nands as before and selling for 3x the price, just because they can't produce more and also don't want to build labs LOL, smart aren't they?

-Tj- and JonasBeckman like this.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah demand is increasing...at the current price level, so why lower it when it's still selling better than ever.

There's some problems no doubt such as reaching lower fabrication nodes or scales or well the usual shrinkage but no doubt they're still able to manufacture a lot of chips and there's several plants for both RAM and disks plus what else these are used in so capacity while high should be manageable.

Guessing it's similar to the HDD problem and that seeing a increase in pricing earlier though SSD's are now the popular choice due to speed, smaller size and improvements over older models for reliability and storage capacity although they're still costly. :)

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I have to remember what Hilbert wrote in his last news article when they said they do not expect a deeper price drop: Traditionally demand is low at the start of the year. That's over now, so prices will rise again. They're just making a fuzz about it, that's all, marketing talk.

chispy likes this.
  7. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    I guess the HDD manufacturers have nothing to fear in the next 10 years or so. While SSD prices are falling a bit on the long term, they're still very expensive per GB. Doesn't seem like that's about to change the next few years.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Best way to get price and sales up is to cause panic by explaining that prices will go down due to low availability and high demand.
    Panic rules them all. I bet that if there were no news like this, prices would go down.

schmidtbag likes this.
  9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    +1 completely agree with your statement my friend , definitely prices will rise again :( ohh dear when will this end ...

10. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Although I agree with you, there's much more at play. A super fab costs billions to build and it takes months/years to plan and build. I think the price hike since 2016 is due to a group of factors and not a single factor of "lets make as much as we can, spending as little as possible". I do think the main memory makers have agreed to not ramp up production, making sure each keeps its market share and prices start slowly rising due to normal demand. Prof of this was a CEO of either Micron or SK telling the public the objective was not to gain market share anymore, but to profit as much as possible.

Now think: when does a company stop wanting to gain market share? When it has agreed with the others to do so to fix the supply. As demand grows, so do prices.

11. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    Title is kind of misleading...demand will slow prices down, not stop it.

Which should be illegal and deserve a nifty penalty.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I actually haven't found SSD prices to be all that bad. Sure, I'd like it if they were lower, but I made my life easier by using a HDD RAID array in my home server and then bought small cheap SSDs for each of my PCs (well, my gaming PC has a 2nd SSD that's 1TB, but I got that new in 2016 for $200 so I couldn't pass up that deal). Most people can easily get by on 64-128GB to store their OS and applications, and such drives are pretty cheap to get. If you're on a budget, stick with HDDs for personal data like music, pictures, and videos. It's not the end of the world to wait a little bit longer for the worse seek times. Otherwise, HDDs keep up with media files just fine.

If anything is in desperate need of price lowering, it's RAM. Keep in mind, RAM prices affect GPU prices, too.

Fox2232 likes this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I found out that even entry level SSDs can be good. $40 Kingston A400 128GB states R/W as 500/320MBps. But in ATTO it did easily 550/520Mbps. And performance with block size went up to good values even on 4kB blocks.

Today, there is no reason to have PC without SSD. But price you got for 1TB, that's good deal.

schmidtbag likes this.
  14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Bloody game pirates, they caused all this.:p

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    More specifically, there's no reason to have a PC whose boot drive isn't an SSD - like I said, HDDs (or in some cases, cloud services) are still plenty good enough for personal files and media. Even my server with the HDD RAID setup boots from a SSD. It's 32GB, but even that is far more than I actually need, but it helps with application responsiveness. I think I still have over 20GB free. I keep forgetting to use some of that space for caching...

That 1TB SSD I got was pure luck. I just coincidentally stumbled upon it on eBay, where it was brand new and unused (I confirmed this via S.M.A.R.T.) but didn't have any of the original packaging, and it had some scuffs on the sticker. No big deal - it's covered up by my boot SSD anyway. I only use it to store game data so even if there was something wrong with it (so far there isn't) I wouldn't really care.