Grizzly Bear versus the strongest human

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by jgomez7238, Mar 29, 2010.

1. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Can you legally get a AK47 in the US? That sounds like the only way to hunt bears. OH, and don't forget the vodka.

2. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    The bear would win because it's a Godless killing machine.

3. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    [​IMG]

Look at that bears lack of tolerance :O lol.

4. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    A 12 gauge magnum with a slug will down a bear but the kick... there's better ways to kill bear. But yeah an m16 wouldn't be smart against a bear. At range the rounds wouldn't penetrate and since the bear would instantly start charging his ass it would get to him before he could poke enough holes for it to bleed out.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010

5. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    The only way you'd get me up against any bear with my weapon of choice, they'd have to be:

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

6. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
  7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_M82 id take this against a bear o_O but really without any good weapons human can't possibly win... Kodiak or Polar bear would be even more insane... human can't win even against wolves that easily without a weapon. and big cats are scary crap too :p

8. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I have killed 2 medium sized black bears under D.L.P. (Defense of Life and Property) rules with 12 gauge rifled slugs and in both instances a single slug took the bears down however both required a quick second shot behind the ear to finish them off. Both bears were shot at less than 5 yards and were hit in the ‘sweet spot’ which is an 8-10” circle on the body just behind the bears front shoulder. This is the area where the bears heart and lungs are located. The problem in both instances was a lack of penetration by the slug. The slugs smashed ribs and penetrated through one lung but went no further. The heart was untouched. In one instance the slug spalled on the ribs and I ended up finding a big piece of the slug later near the bear’s stomach.

Shooting a bear in the head straight on with a slug or even a rifle bullet is also not very wise as a bears frontal plate is sloped and is composted of thick bone as is the rest of the skull. A bear’s brain may as well be encased in armor; it is not an easy target to get to. From the front a bear is most vulnerable in either shoulder or in the spine as bears lower their heads and expose their shoulders and spine when charging.

I know of plenty of people who have shot a bear in the head with a rifled shotgun slug only to have it tear a piece of scalp off as the slug is deflected off the skull. Yeah, a 12 gauge with slugs is better than nothing, but I would much rather have a lowly .30 caliber rifle (300 Win Mag, 30-06, 308 etc) with a boat tail round than a shot gun with slugs.

10 years ago I shot a medium sized brown, about 800 pounds, broadside, with a 30-06. I believe I was using a 180 grain nosler partition bullet. The first round went clean through the bear completely wrecking both lungs but missing the heart. The bear didn’t go down so I fired a rapid follow up shot. The second round went three quarters of the way through the bear and ended up lodged in the bears opposite shoulder. It must have been deflected by a rib on the way through to end up there.

Once I was hunting with two buddies in Haines. Towards dark one of my buddies, Lloyd, shot a huge brown, head on at 35 yards with his .375. His first round went clean through the front of the left shoulder and ended up exiting out the bear’s haunches. The round wrecked the bears left shoulder, lung and other vital organs on its way through. The bear went down, stayed down for about 3-4 seconds and then sprang up and went after Lloyd and me as I was standing next to him. Lloyd got off one more shot and I got off 4 as I had a semi-auto in 30-06. All five rounds hit the bear, two in the head, two in the shoulders and one in the spine. The bear went down again less than 10 yards in front of us but it wasn’t dead. It took 4 more shots to the head at close range before the bear finally stopped moving. The two head shots failed to penetrate the skull; the two shoulder shots wrecked the shoulder bones but failed to make it to vital organs. The shot that stopped the bear was the one that severed its spine.

How much did the bear weight? Estimated weigh was 1600 pounds and it was 8’ 7” from nose to the tail. If one knew which hunting publication to look in, you could see a picture of the bear with Lloyd, I and a guy named Mike standing next to it.

Having even a ‘small’ bear bearing down on you is terrifying. Even watching a bear charge on video is no substitute for actually being there. To really understand a bears raw killing power you actually have to see one in action close up.

My point is that even with modern weapons the outcome of a battle with a bear is not a sure thing.

Here is a good link I found with more information.

http://www.bowhunting.net/bearhunting.net/bear2.html

Now the guys who hunt browns with bows and arrows are absolutely crazy in my opinion.

9. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I think i would take it on with maybe a chainsaw with body armor lol.

10. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Three pages, wow.:banana:

11. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    I would use diplomacy.

[​IMG]

12. -Ruin-

-Ruin- Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060 6GB
  13. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Best answer so far. I would add a really nice attitude, as well. And candy.

14. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
  15. jgomez7238

jgomez7238 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Now a Polar versus a Coastal Brown Bear might be a matchup... Unless the human has an effective weapon, he'll just have to play dead.

16. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Without a doubt this is true in regards to blacks and to browns that are younger. The climbing ability combined with slow reload time and inhibited ability to aim under duress = total disaster, even in a tree stand.

I can see hunting bear from a tree stand, but only if you have a large caliber handgun at the ready just in case, i.e. a .44, .445, etc. You're gambling with your life otherwise.

I'd take that a step further and argue that the guys hunting blacks with a bow are even crazier in some ways. Big browns can't climb trees. Graze a black and you're in big trouble.

17. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I strongly disagree with you guys, let's make the matchup clear:

Grizzly bear (even though I live on the east coast):

Running speed: 55 Km/h or 15 m/s (34 mph or 50 feet/sec)

M16:

700-900 RPM (11-15 rounds per second)

wait, why am I calculating all of this, I'm more intelligent then this sucker, if need be I'll use a grenade launcher or an effing Abrams Tank XD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    Wow, 4 pages now.

I could go on and on about a handguns vs. a bear, but in the end I would again have to say that just about anything that goes ‘bang’ is better than a sharp stick or your swinging dick so amen to that.

A trusty .44 and steady nerves have saved many lives here in the state. I have never had to shoot a bear with a handgun and I pray to God I never have to. I came real close this last summer on the Russian River to shooting a large brown bear sow, but she was happy to take the three fish I had on a stringer and leave so I was happy to let her do it. The sow got within 3 yards of me and I was pointing my pistol at her the entire time. She basically ignored me and went right for the fish. After she snatched the fish she turned and ran away like a purse snatcher.

The b!tch carried the fish just into the tree line, laid down in plain sight and commenced eating. The kids and I moved a couple of hundred yards up river and didn't have any more bear encounters until the next morning.

Up here in Alaska the browns don’t have to climb trees; they can push most of the tree down, roots and all, to get at you. That’s not so true in South Eastern Alaska where the trees are usually larger in height and diameter, but climb into most trees north of the southern tip of Kodiak Island to escape a pissed off bear and you’re screwed six ways from Sunday if you’re not packing heat.

19. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    He He, its great how some of our American freinds on here, manage to bring in firearms to the thread :)

20. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    :stewpid: I was the one to bring up firearm, and I'm Canadian.

I brought it up because it is fairly clear that we don't stand even close to a chance against a grizzly bear, even muzzled and unclawed.