Grizzly Bear versus the strongest human

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by jgomez7238, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Corndog

Corndog Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 702/1728/1913
    I lol'd imagining this... xD

2. jgomez7238

jgomez7238 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  3. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    A guy near me has a private zoo.At one time he had three grizzly's he let us (my family) get to know as cubs.We'd bottle feed them and play with them when they were little, but had to stop when they got bigger.At a few months they were too strong for him to risk public contact.It was amazing though.Cute little guys, but such deadly potential.

[​IMG]

4. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I think people are missing out on several factors.

1) Average grizzly bear size for adult male in springtime is ~500 lbs
    2) largest or "strongest" humans...look at someone like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wight

Now, I'm not saying he is the strongest or even the biggest, but just an example that a Human CAN be just as big and potentially (depending on the size of the bear and the amount the person lifts weights) be stronger than the bear (at least in terms of fighting power)

3) I think we are all assuming this is a cage match fight...which I wouldn't be so quick to assume. You could just as easily match a bear/man in the open range/forest

While the bear has an EXCELLENT scent of smell (20times better than a blood hound), the human has a much better capacity for intelligence. An avid outdoors man and hunter could easily set traps and other things that could basically render the bear to use its claws/jaws on a person

Then you also have the factor should this be an outdoor match, while the bear can sprint faster than any human (over 40mph) humans are built for endurance running (though you could argue strongest man isn't gonna run marathons). Even if the human isn't an endurance runner, 4 legged creatures use more energy than 2 legged creatures and thus 2 legged creatures can run longer with the same energy.

4) Finally whether a bear or human is handicapped in any way (such as declawed or muzzled or not allowed to have a knife/sword) even if one or the other would win....you would still see the "winner" badly hurt. If the human won even if the bear was muzzled/declawed they are gonna have some pretty good internal bleeding and broken ribs from claw swipes. And if the bear wins, it could easily bleed out if the man had even just a knife.

5) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2XUgE6g7XU& (the bear quits and runs away in fear after he realizes who he is REALLY fighting)

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    The largest populations are found in coastal areas where weights are as much as 550 kg (1,200 lb). Populations found in Katmai National Park and the Alaskan Peninsula may approach or just exceed 680 kg (1,500 lb)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Bear

you would need mooseknuckle for that

[​IMG]

6. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    ^ LOL, you easily trumped the picture I posted. It just hurts to look at that photo.

As far as man(unarmed) vs a full grown Grizzly Bear, there is NO WAY a man would win, it's not even close. How some of you could even think that it's even remotely possible..... Well I'd like some of what your smoking.

7. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I know how big they can get...I said their average size, which I had just looked up. Sure put the biggest grizzly vs a human and even with guns we can lose. But I was saying lets take a "average" sized bear.

As I said before...sometimes human trickery can win the day (as in with this video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG02fwZBflw

8. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
  9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
  10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I think bear skin gives him too much protection vs human attacks.

Only valid attack would be to bears skull

11. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
  12. Austyn

Austyn Guest

the bear would lose... even to this kid...

[​IMG]

13. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    All the bear needs to do is give the human one clawless swipe across the head and it'd shatter the skull into one million pieces. :3eyes:

Not really any discussion in this.

14. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    As someone who has extensive knowledge and experience with the hunting and killing of bears, I will offer my opinion on this though I find the whole topic to be hilarious.

An adult brown bear boar can break the neck of an adult bull moose with one swipe of its paw.

Without a ‘smoke pole’ or a good spear, a human being, even one with incredible strength and fighting skills, has very little chance again a brown bear even if said bear is declawed and muzzled. The brown bear is just too large and powerful.

Jet Li could kick a Brownie in the head until his leg fell off and it would have very little effect on the bear; the bears skull is too thick and its neck muscles are very strong. A bear’s body consists of dense bone and is covered with a heavy layer of muscle, sinew and fat so body shots are out as well.

Even if the bear in question was a black bear, I would still put my money on the bear.

15. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Fine the bear has the right to his claws and not being muzzled but I get to use a buck-shot shotty and a M16A2 with AP rounds, deal? :)

EDIT: I'll even be nice enough and say that the bear has the rights to the same weapon as me!

16. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
  17. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I worked for a zoo for a few years in my early 20's, we had large cats and some bears.
    I would often go inside with them and I can 100% tell you the bear is so much stronger then any man, hand vs paw, bear wins 99% of the time.
    The biggest bear we had was a black bear who was maybe 7feet standing up and around 600lbs.
    I am a large man, 6'5" 280lbs(at the time) and he would push me around with ease, when I would be in his enclosure, I am sure he could have took me out if he had wished.

18. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Yup.Near the last stages of our playing with the bears (see post # 43) They were about 60-80 lbs, and roughly as big as large breed dogs, they were getting very strong.I stopped letting my daughter have contact with them when their claws started getting sharp, and shortly after, I had to stop too.Even as cubs, they are strong.A full grown?- I can't imagine....

19. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    In order for this to be fair, you'd have to train the bear in fighting techniques. Also, you'd need to find a way to bring it to the gym. Strongest + most skilled vs average = not fair! I don't care what species you are! Train the bear in elite combat tactics and get it to bench a thousand pounds. RAWR!!!

:nerd:

20. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I’m not so sure I would take on a bear, brown or black, with just a ‘poodle shooter’ like an M16 even if loaded with steel core ammo or a 12 gauge with 00 buck shot however; having said that, both a far superior to a sharp stick, a stout club or bare hands so if you are willing to give it a shot, I would be happy to set up high in a tree stand with my Remington in 458 Win Mag and film your attempt at it. ;)