1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GRID - Race for Glory trailer

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybrid
    I get it and I agree but tbh I need to see the game first, not some pre-release trailer. Also it all depends how it plays and how fun it is. It's not a simulator

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    It looks old. Graphics have moved forward, the EGO engine hasn't.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Old? Meaning what? What specifically has moved forward? You're being really vague. The only thing that really stood out to me as being sub-par are the particle effects. The reflections probably could be a little better too but it's hard to tell from that trailer.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Well, the lack of opensubdiv is one example...minimal tesselation...cardboard-cut-out-crowds...lack of depth in the horizon...no PBR, but that is guesswork on that, but it cetainly doesn't look like it.

So...basically it looks like a dx9 game running dx10 pipelines and shaders...which is what the EGO engine is

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Except... it's a DX11 game, and it is documented that Codemasters has done things like PBR and tessellation for years.

Is there something you're seeing that I'm not? How exactly do you see the use of opensubdiv? What should be tessellated that very clearly isn't? From what I saw, the crowds were actually 3D, so, not sure where you're getting the impression of a cardboard cut out. You can barely see the horizon anywhere in that entire trailer (definitely can't see enough to make a good judgment on it). From what I could tell, it looked like PBR was in use, though it's hard to tell if there's enough good use of it due to the amount of motion blur in the video.

As far as I'm concerned, all of these "symptoms" are just a nocebo.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Just because it is listed as a dx11 game, does not equate that it will look like a dx11 game, or; have any benefits of dx11 shaders and draw calls. We all know this, it's not even a discussion.

Opensubdiv is easy to spot when it is not used, versus when it is. I'm talking about in-engine usage, not 'run it through 3D Max/Maya/Modo and then import the model' no, I'm talking actual opensubdiv in the engine, without using LOD stages. In direct answer to your question, any angle that is meant to represent part of a curve, is a clear example. So...a pentagon for a circle, for example...or the head of a character being a dodecahedron instead of a spheriod.

Tesellation it has, but I could be wrong, but it's minimal and not necessarilly important for graphics, just indicative of what the engine is doing under the hood.

The crowds in the distance are cardboard cut outs with junk 2d animations, and when they crunch/optimise the game, the 3D models of the crowd will be the first thing to be cut down to size, with crappy animations independant of what is actually going on, on the track at the time.

Yes, there is a reason why the horizon is missing!

PBR - the verdict is out on that, I just strongly doubt they re-wrote their entire pipeline of shaders with a clunky old EGO engine, that will be running on dx11 (upgraded from dx9/10) when dx12 does it so well. Very strongly.