GRID - Race for Glory trailer

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Codemasters has released a short new trailer for GRID dubbed “Race for Glory.” GRID is due out for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on October 11. “Ultimate Edition&rd...

GRID - Race for Glory trailer

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Graphically, it doesn't really look that great. The Ego Engine is now 12 years (or more) old, and it's really showing its age.

Perhaps it's just me, but the larger the environment, the less impressive the graphics nowadays...this looks no better than CS:GO in terms of detail, lighting, atmospherics and certainly looks no better than what the competition is doing on other racing games. I think some of the launch titles for PS4 racing games look more impressive than this.

Meh. Maybe my bias is because I hate what they did to Grid2, but I've talked about that before :)

3. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr
    Personally not sure why here is so much hate towards Grid 2.

I've poured hundreds of hours into each Grid game and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

Looking forward to this one :)

OnnA and jbscotchman like this.
  4. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    Looks outdated.
    Hopefully this is footage of xbox one.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I think there is a reason why we dont get to see the damage models, its probably because its the same as Grid2. Grid 1 looked much more spectacular!

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Graphics is nice. But I am not paying for racing game where collision system for car to car & car to environment feels like it was made in around year 2002.

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I wouldn't say I hate it, just that the control system made you have to constantly correct the angle of the vehicle - it clearly was not designed for controllers and instead the 0.0000000000000000001% of people like this:

[​IMG]

Additionally, they released the game at a time when the entire planet was still reeling from the financial crisis...not that it affected my industry in the slightest, but still, I was watching the news like a hawk back then, and seeing a company release a game that pretty much required massive investment to simply control the players avatar was horrid and left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

If anyone is of any doubt (which on these forums I think is impossible, given the intellect here) it a case of being able to move a controller with your thumb 1/100th of a millimetre versus a big (or small) steering wheel 4/5ths of an inch.

There are problems I had, but I think I covered it last time.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my uncle loves grid but didnt like grid 2 something about it was to short and to easy. Grid remake or what it is has him interested

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    At least with this game you know you are going to get a fun racer, with excellent frame rates, probably decent modding support (texture packs) thanks to a well known older engine, forcing 4K using DLSS or insane AA will make it pop, great controller/wheel support at launch. Not to mention the devs have said this game is based more from the original GRID than the other sequels which is a bonus.

The same can be said for CSGO, sure its engine is ancient now but it performs insane on a toaster PC, has tons of players thanks to how easy it is to run, great modding community, excellent and alive competitive scene too.

Honestly, I am not a massive racing game fan but if they do this right they could incorporate some third party app like faceit for CSGO for a great competitive scene and be one of the first racing games to really take off as an esport.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Is it going to have cockpit view for all cars?

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Well, that's kinda the problem isn't it? We all thought Grid2 was going to be beyond amazing, and I even pre-ordered it (see prior forum thread for photos of the box I had delivered on launch day). It was not a good game, and certainly not a fun racer like its digital forebearer.

The controller is really the problem, as they most did design the game using the sterring wheel and it made the controller/stick nearly impossible to play, as previously mentioned. As for what the devs are saying, I really cannot allow them to deposit funds into my bank of believability - their credit is just not good enough.

Thankfully, I can play the game on steam for <2 hours and see if it sucks or not, then get my $ back - and if it does suck, I'm sure it will be in two key areas:

• Control system via a game controller/stick (I use xbox 360/one/elite controllers).
    • No 'drift' mode just like the original Grid, or, a poor implementation therein.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    You trying to say the original GRID had bad drifitng?? I could drift for days on that game using a controller, or do you mean the sequel?

Also what did you think of Autosport? I hated it personally.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    No. Grid2 had bad drifting and no, I didn't play autosport, burnt bridges etc

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I tried Grid Autosport, just couldn't get into it... no where near as good as the original.

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I actually forgot they even made it. That is how impactful it was :)

16. Hulk12

Hulk12 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 :D
    GTX 1080 will be recommended :O but at 3840x2160 (Ultra HD) only. :p

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm no artist so maybe I don't know where to look, but... what exactly about this is so graphically sub-par? Looks pretty good to me, regardless of the age of the engine.

18. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr
    They're the same people that also complain that games are all about the graphics these days and all have very little depth or game play.

Not everything that gets released has to try and replicate precisely all the visual fidelity of the known universe on my computer screen!

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I agree, yet this is 2019 and we have higher standards than this

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    But seriously: what is so bad about this? Like is there a specific timestamp you can point out that looks distinctly bad? Because I just don't see what it is about this game that looks so dated. Granted, I am on an office PC with a pretty crappy monitor, so, perhaps there are some nasty textures that I just can't see (not to mention, Youtube's heavy compression).