Green8Pixels/Gigabyte 5870 2 gig memory

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by flashnc, Apr 12, 2010.

1. flashnc

flashnc Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    OK guys.... I know Ive seen this mentioned in other threads..but cant for the life of me remember which one.

System in my sig* except now the 5870 card
    fresh install of Vista 64

New Gigabyte 5870 2Gig card.

running the 10.5 drivers...

Right from the start, I noticed *green pixels* in the background flashing on desktop * not like hundreds of them * but here and there. before I even had the drivers etc installed.

after running the 10.5's and loading 3dm6 ( which by the way gave me a nice score of 24900 something ) with an oc to 900 core/ 1300 memory.

but as soon as I started up a simulation I run ( secondlife) im noticing the same greens pixels flashes in that too... once again , not real bad , but noticable.... also im getting terrible frame rates so im thinking it must need maybe a ogl driver fix** as it ran much faster with an nvidia card..

loving this new card...just wonder if it goes away??? is there a fix??? will it get worse and RMA tha card??

any info would be greatly appreciated....

2. James J

James J Member

GPU:
    Club 3D 5870
    Try the 10.3 officials before RMA'ing the card. Using extremely beta drivers on it and getting errors isn't the first port of call to think the card is borked mate.

plus remove the overclock and see if its fine at stock

3. flashnc

flashnc Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    well...not to be rude and im not trying to be, but first, thanx for the quick reply.

If you read above, this was *Before* any drivers were installed, and before overclocking..same results after installing the drivers... :)

but I will try your suggestions for grins..cant hurt.. :)

I know htis has been an issue thats been reported and Ive read it somehwere ( might have been over at Xtrememsystems) or maybe in the ATI cards section.

Flash

4. James J

James J Member

GPU:
    Club 3D 5870
    Ah fair. if its periodic make sure the pcie slot is clean, plus reseat the card properly and see if that helps. If it STILL does it, look at the cooler and see if it moves across or over the pcb (which it shouldn't, should be solid).

It'll either be something reaaaaaaaaally daft or something unfixable lol

Oh yeah, if your using DVI/DP go into the CCC settings and get it to "reduce DVI frequency" and see if that clears it up. Theres also another option on the same page called "alternate DVI operation mode" or something along those lines which can also reduce artifacts (desktop and displays, right click to configure on the monitor picture and you should see them)

5. James J

James J Member

GPU:
    Club 3D 5870
    plus sorry about coming across abit daft, I've had abit too much caffeine so I'm scan reading everything haha :D

Tell me how you get on and I'll check up on this tomorrow mate

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Kind of temps ?

Maybe VRMs overheating possbily.

7. flashnc

flashnc Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    GPUZ shows GPU @ 39c vddc's all are @ 41c ( back plate feels alittle warm )

did exactly that james, actually did the uninstall drivers/ reinstall card etc etc... ;)
    kinda thought along those lines too... and I took no offense whatsoever :)

one things for sure...Cat 10.3 WHQL's wont recognise the card, tried twice, uninstall, driver sweeper safe mode etc etc nada..wouldnt recoginse the card LOL, uninstaled Cat10.3s etc etc...reinstalled the 10.5 beta recoginised the card straight off... oh well..I'll search some more, and keep a close eye in the pixels ( there seems to be less of them ) and after all I have 30days with newegg .. ;)

8. James J

James J Member

GPU:
    Club 3D 5870
    Sounds like the .ini is borked on the 10.3 drivers, replace the ini file with the 10.5 beta one and then reinstall the 10.3s and it will detect your card straight away

9. scajjr2

scajjr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RT-6900XT LC
    I was having the green pixel issue but with the 8.74 betas (and their higher idle core&mem speeds) it's gone away.

Sam