Gray screen crashes.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Copyright78, Nov 27, 2009.

1. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition
    I got my rma number form xfx and also told them about the number of problems I'm reading on the net. There reply was that there is no specific problem with the cards..... Maybe they would just say that?!

Anyways I've been running demos and benches all night at 875 and 1250 even auto fan and had no crash at all tonight... So that's only 50 down on the expected memory speed.... BUT should I still RMA it... Confused now. Unless I get crashes at another time.
    Frustrating.

2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    3 days on and still not a single crash. Been playing the hell out of many of my games and both they and my machine are now completely stable. Fan fix, I love thee.

3. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition
    900 1275 and even auto fan .... benched to hell at max etc .. temps even gone to +75 an no crash.

Guess my card just cant quite manage the magic 1300 (as advertised I suppose) memory clock.... but 900 1275

what do you guys think - RMA still or a keeper?

4. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    RMA!!! you paid for the higher mhz..

5. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition
    yeah will do I think - its just a pity Im gonna end up loosing computer for whatever time it takes.... may even have to talk to wife a bit more !!!!

seriously though - can see it now - they`ll run it for 10 minutes or so on some not very demanding demo/game and it will run and they will send it back saying nothing wrong !!!!

then it will be fight time !

6. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I wouldn't bother RMA:ing for 25mhz memory clock. The real world performance difference is amazingly small..

7. mihaibt

mihaibt Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4770
    You shoud consider that the crashes appears in IDLE or low load of video card, mostly. That s what i experience most. So keeping it in tests is not a good way to find the problem. Just let the computer over night without any tasks and you ll find it crashed...

8. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I damn the day when I agreed to create overclocking util for MSI supporting ****TY AMD hardware and drivers. Was one of my biggest mistakes, had to provide NVIDIA support only like it was with EVGA.
    Deadly tired to address false "it is Afterburner" claims from those who where smart enough to get new AMD cards and try to overclock it. This RV870 crap is unstable without overclocking.

9. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT

You bash the users and the way they use their hardware, the company that pays you and the hardware itself.

Nice :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  10. Unwinder

That's beyond of your understanding, boy. The only company is paying me is MSI, and they are paying definitively not for doing crappy AMD driver support services. AMD drivers are and were the biggest crap I ever dealed with, whenever the fanATIcs like it or not.

11. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    Considering I have 2 PC with almost identical hardware, the one in my sig and another identical one with a Nvidia 8800GTX in it I don't know if the fanATIcs slam was at me or everyone who buys ATI cards in general. The 'boy' part is laughable.

12. Unwinder

Then just continue laguhing and please do me a favor: just avoid commenting my replies. Return back once you get an experience of designing something intensively interacting with nice AMD drivers, boy.

13. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    You know I never use disparaging comments on you directly but here it goes.

Your crying yourself a river. Is the next step going to be like years ago when you got your panties into a knot and left your Rivatuner project for awhile and blamed all the users because you couldn't take criticism?

14. Unwinder

No, you're crying yourself a blind AMD driver and hardware defender (aka anATIc) without having ANY real knownledge in this expert area. And those "years ago" when I indeed decided to stop RT once you were about 15. Graduate the colledge first and get basic logics lessons to find the difference between the criticism and things you're doing.

P.S. Try to assume that if someone calls you a boy, then probably he knows your real age and year of birth (1989). So stop commenting my posts please, boy.

15. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    I'll be 40 in a few months. Do the math.

16. Unwinder

If you decided to specify false birth date in Guru3D forum account due to some odd reason (have no ideas why someone could need to to so) and telling the truth now - my apollogies. ;)

17. Scoot_er

Scoot_er Member

GPU:
    XFX HD5870 ZNE9
    we here study, divide the science and finish the problem VIDEO CARD ATI.
    thus don't quarrel...
    PEACE ON THE VGA ATI....

18. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    Birthdays are discriminatory, checking my stats I don't see anything about birthday's. Its possible I just randomly entered any date on signing up here years ago because of said reason.

And your 'boy' comments go all the way to showing this.

PS, to everyone else I apologize if I helped to derailed this thread.

19. Timesgodjillion

Timesgodjillion Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0
    In defense of Unwinder, I had MSI Afterburner on my computer when I had a gray screening 5850 and I had it when I RMA'd that and got a 5870 instead and my 5870 has had 0 problems with MSI Afterburner on my computer.

Given that most people are having crashes with or without MSI Afterburner, the conclusion is that it's ATI's fault via hardware issues or ****ty drivers. If your computer works better without MSI Afterburner, I do believe the word you should be using is a "coincidence." ATI's drivers have ALWAYS been pretty garbage compared to Nvidia's and I'm pretty sure they will continue to be. And no, I'm not a fanboy. I obviously own/have owned both sides of GPUs.

20. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    My experience has been the opposite. And among those who bought cards there have been more Nvidia failures when it comes to the hardware.