Gray screen crashes.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Copyright78, Nov 27, 2009.

1. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition
    can I ask where you read about the XFX stuff out of interest?

2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    When I was looking around at which 5770 to buy myself I believe it came up in conversation with someone who had already owned one. And they rma'd the card after just a few days. I just remember them saying that XFX are the worst pick of the bunch especially when it comes to the 5XXX series.

3. Jack_Bourne

Jack_Bourne Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5770
    That would seem to make some sense. A lot of the fixes that I've been hearing work for fellow 5770 owners are working with different vendors. But most of us XFX people are still getting a lot of the grey/black screens.

I wish I could have sent it back before the 30 days was up with Tigerdirect. But it didn't start giving me issues until 40 days, lol. So now I'm stuck dealing with XFX.

Does anyone know how they are about the RMA process? Can you upgrade to a different card for cash or is the only option to just replace your card with the same model?

4. rateoforange

rateoforange New Member

GPU:
    MSI 4890 Cyclone OC
    I've been encountering gray screen crashes with my 4980 MSI Cyclone OC since I got it. Recently I RMA'd it and I'm still having the same problems. I think they just sent my card back to me. The crashes only occur in really taxing games--like I'll get a gray screen in World in Conflict and Crysis, but not Torchlight or whatever. Seems to be a random amount of time that elapses, and it isn't related to heat. At least not directly; turning the fan up seems to buy some time, but that might be the delusion talking.

This is extremely frustrating, and it's ruining my winter break that I thought I could spend playing vidja games. My system:

Intel Core i7 920@2.66
    3gb DDR3 1066
    Gigabyte Ex58 UD3R
    SB Xfi Platinum
    Dell 3007WFP
    Vista 64 Ultimate

5. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Yeah the 50% last longer because i downloaded a full game! without a freeze this time. It froze and hour later, after it downloaded. Still not good enough...

I had grey screens on my old 4850 last year, try flashing it with a default bios from techpowerup. that solved my issue twice! Maybe i should flash my 5850?

actually has anyone flashed there cards????

6. mihaibt

mihaibt Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4770
    Crashed again, well, about time...
    What to do, what to do?

7. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    RMA or flash i reckon.

8. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I don't understand this. Surely I can't be the only one the 50% fan fix worked for? 2 days solid and still no sign of a grey screen crash in sight. In fact I'm slowly becoming so confident it's now fixed I'm thinking of not rma'ing the card at all now.

9. mihaibt

mihaibt Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4770
    Relax, it will happend... :biggun: :nerd: . I was confident too, after continous work (since yesterday till today at 11 AM), but... It happened, in the moment i was typing. Luckily firefox kept in memory the rest of the message....

10. imjelena

imjelena Member

GPU:
    hd 5770
    Ahh really sad things i found in this post .Actually i bought 5770 + gygabite p55m+ i5 but never put them yet together ,sgtill waiting for some more stuff to recieve.Now im worrying if the same problem ill have.Also i read many treads about combo i5+p55+5xxx also about windows 7.Dont know what to do .Thinking i did a wrong choice..Dont want present for my sons to be useless.Its must be an answer from ati whats going on.

11. skindogg

skindogg Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    the 50% fan fixed my red vertical line crashing while 3d gaming, and the changing of the clocks in the CCC profile to 400/900 fixed my gray screen/2d crashing.

i'm hoping to get an arctic cooling twin turbo pro soon, whenever they show up in the US. should be much quieter with the fan running all the time.

EDIT: I changed my powerplay clocks like this:
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=123699&enterthread=y

12. Scoot_er

Scoot_er Member

GPU:
    XFX HD5870 ZNE9
    Two week play at game with gray screen crash.:bang::bang:
    and kinds of way have been done (not OC).
    but there no solution,
    do XFX and ATI just keep silence with this problem....
    Whom in forum GURU3D which have succeeded with trik from
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...&enterthread=y

help to report on in this forum.....

13. Exelsior

Exelsior New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 1GB
    Stone - I tried it a couple days ago and it didn't do anything - suffered a fairly quick gray screen crash. Then I realized I hadn't applied the 9.12 hotfix yet - just 9.12. So, I installed 9.12 hotfix, re-disabled the ATI HDMI sound driver (for what it's worth - didn't do anything before either), and then set the fan to 60% vs. 50% just to give it another shot. My case is pretty quiet either way, so I figured "hey, 60% is better than 50% :)"

Anyway, I just played LOTRO for about 2 hours straight using "Very High" graphics settings, and got NO crash. I'd never lasted more than 10 minutes before this. Very encouraging. Perhaps there's something to the manual fan setting after all.

14. Jack_Bourne

Jack_Bourne Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5770
    Sending in RMA to XFX tomorrow

I'll post if it fixes me issues and the turn around time. :cheers:

15. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition
    ive been in touch with XFX - theyve gave me RMA number.

Ive just been playing with afterburner.... leaving the 875 alone and changing memory to 1200 (not 1300) seems ok .... (with fan @ 50 %)

benched 3d mark and ran ladybug demo - ran dcs black shark replay for 15 minutes no crash.... put the clock back to 1300 - the ladybug demo crashes when the ladybug appears all the time... so for me its memory related....

if I knew it wouldnt crash at stock then Id maybe keep it - but it seems quite common that the XXX cards have a problem... this was from another forum Ive posted on....

...."Thanks, just spoken to other supplier and have cancelled my XFX order with them and now gone for a Saphire 5870 from ***** instead. Oh how I wish I'd stuck with trusted **** in the first place!

Interestingly, other supplier advises that they have XFX XXX 5870 cards in stock but have ring fenced these because of the number of RMAs they are getting on these cards at the moment! Hope I don't live to regret my words but it sounds like there may well be a specific problem with a batch of XFX cards...
    "

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18094734

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009

16. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Im soo pissed at ATI.. They no different to Nvidia..

We need another company!!!!

17. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition
    [​IMG]

am able to browse web - while benching - but with memory at 1250 and not 1300......

'SEEMS' stable - temps dont get too high etc....

this is really annoying because im betting the card will get RMA`d - they will test for maybe 10 minutes and say all is fine and send it back... or will get somebody elses RMA`d card!.... but then again Ive paid for an overclocked card so I should be able to run that memory at 1300 - even though theres probably nothing in it.

I have 2 years warranty on the thing... so not sure what to do now. Thing is if theres a bad batch of cards they arent really gonna come out and say this are they.

18. mihaibt

mihaibt Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4770
    Is that sopor aeternus in background? O had another crash.. anyway.

19. The Fallen

The Fallen Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    I take this back, I got the grey screen again last week. I uninstalled MSI Afterburner completely and have not seen the grey screen yet for a week, will continue to report back

20. Crazybilly

Crazybilly New Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 5870
    Hey all.

I just recently bought an HIS 5870 and wanted to share my experience (frustration).

I am running Vista 64-bit, and an AMD processor. When I first installed the card, I immediately would get the grey screen with lines as soon as Windows loaded. I struggled to get rid of all old driver and install the 9.12 driver but still would get the crash. I finally was able to get rid of all of the Ati products by using Drivecleaner (and deleting some folders) and could then install 9.12 plus the hotfix.

When I booted up normally, no crash. I then reinstalled Ati Tray Tools to use it for a fan profile. As soon as I did that, I started to get the crash again. I uninstalled the Tools and have had no issues at the desktop or in games.

Now I am getting a white screen when booting, and I have to reset a few times to get Vista to load. Once I am up and running, I have had no issues.

I guess I will just leave my PC on all of the time....