graphics vs performance

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by damien666, Feb 20, 2011.

?

what i would like

1. yes i would like games to be more advanced than current mainstream hardware

62.2%
  2. no i would like to get a constant 60fps and dont care for graphic

25.6%
  3. i dont care i just play the game as it is

12.2%
  1. Nixuz

Nixuz Active Member

GPU:
    5770x2 Crossfire
    I've noticed that observable lag in framerates seems to be the direct result of having an on screen FPS counter.
    Honestly. I seem to enjoy a game far more, even if it is running under 60fps, if I don't know FOR SURE that it's doing so.
    Try it. Turn of FRAPS or whatever other FPS counter you use and play for awhile. The fps are still the same, but not actually seeing it dip and spike can do wonders for your gameplay experience.

2. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Depends on the game. If it's trying to be a realistic looking game, I want it to be realistic. If its cartoony or unrealistic, then it doesn't matter how it looks.
    I play many old gamer ROMS and the I still love the 2D graphics. They still focused on visuals back then but story and gameplay were dominant or more original back then.

3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    For you maybe, but I can clearly feel it dip, even without the fps counter. On top of it, if it's a game I play alot, I can even give you a good estimate of how much fps I have, without having a counter on the screen.

4. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    Whilst having good graphics is important to me since it helps the immersion into the game, I will not hesitate in dropping a setting here and there in order to get atleast a reasonable fluidity, usually 30FPS for me is a good start depending alot on the game obviously.

30FPS in Crysis has nothing to do with 30FPS in CS1.6

5. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080

How about everything first :) .

Graphics, gameplay, etc.

6. ct03

ct03 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
    1) After 10 years of working in the film industry as digital VFX TD this is the first time I've come across the term "fixed viewing aspect". Mind explaining what you think that is?
    2) Slow and deliberate pans? Maybe you should watch the occasional action movie between your romcom sessions.
    3) When you speak of "focus" I assume you mean a lack of motion blur? Then how about you whip your head right and left really quickly. You will see tons of blur. The human eye does not have 0ms exposure time. Why? Because 0ms isn't enough to capture any light. Duh.
    4) Motion blur in games has nothing to do with the frames not rendering fast enough. Motion blur has to be deliberately added by the developer. And why is it added? Because it makes movement appear more fluid and looks more natural.

7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i agree motion blur is the new gimmic added and it generally annoys the hell out of me and it looks totally fake to the blur you experience in real life if your zipping your line of sight back n forth.

i do not need a fps counter to tell my my fps has dipped into the low 20s i can see the frame chop when that happens fake blurring or not.

gameplay should be over all tho but still i rather have a game i have to dial back to get good fps if it is a killer game, then i have something to look forward to when i get better hardware like an arma 2. a game like arma 2 will be good looking 5 years from now when i have a 2 gig video card that i can max it out with.

any console game barring a shoddy port should be able to be run by any pc built in the last 3 years and kill that game with all the bells and whistles.

8. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    I would like everything. Gameplay is obviously really important but it would be nice if every game had the option for ultra high quality graphics IF you have the hardware to push it. That would be pretty sweet.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    lol, remember the howls when Crysis came out because max settings couldnt be used.

I agree though, really high quality options would be great.

10. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I turn motion blur off in all games. No it does not make it appear more natural. It is used to compensate for low frame rates, but at higher frame rates, motion blur detracts from the more fluid frame updates as it ans and degrades image quality with no benefit Play a game on a 120hz montior, 120hz looks way more natural than 60frames with or withuot motion blur.

But w.e ...next you'll be telling me the human eye can't see more than 30 frames...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

11. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    human eyes vary and i do not recall the exact average numbers but something in the area of 100 frames is about your average eye.

but tv and movies us a between frame blur to blend frames together, pc games are generally rendered in sharp frames and any blur is added after the fact. so tvs get by w lower frames and appear smooth but games require more frames to appear smooth, add to the fact in general you are sitting on top of your pc monitor rather than several feet away like your average tv.

but each human varies a bit by how many actual fps he or she can see since eyes vary from person to person.

but i also try and turn motion blur and post processing and junk off because it annoys me and it gains me a few frames that i can devote to turning other stuff up.

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Oh yes, +1.

Sure gameplay is important but with the hardware avalible nowdays better graphics could be done aswell. Sadly, we will have to wait the next generation of consoles for that to happen on a large scale...

13. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    1. gameplay
    2. gameplay
    3. gameplay
    10. 60 fps by any means neccessary
    11. GFX, shiny FX, sugar on top for the kidz

Nuff said. :)

Latest Crysis2 videos (SP) show the same gameplay like last time -> no money from me this time. Sorry Crytek.

14. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    yes sir!

15. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    I side with gameplay, but it wouldn't hurt if the graphics were nice.

I liked Crysis & Crysis warhead, but after beating them a couple times and playing maybe a week of multi-player I was back to playing Battlefield 2.

16. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    let's be honest, we live in 2011, games should come with great graphics, people should drop the gameplay only bullsht, many times, graphics makes the gameplay.

17. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    I voted neither because I prefer having both. There is no reason why a PC game should not be able to run smooth on the widest variety of PC hardware other than the pressure involved with hunger for more power and money, which kills creativity. Why would a developer want to invest in something new when it's always easier money to keep on selling the same recipe with a different sauce?

18. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    It can't. The only reason why 30 fps appears choppy in games is because the fps never stays constant.

19. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Game play first, graphics scalability second. You want the game to be playable on low end hardware, but should also include settings so that people with fast rigs can push their hardware too. But ultimately, game play should come first or else what's the point.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    its all about the gameplay people...story comes next then graphics.