graphics vs performance

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by damien666, Feb 20, 2011.

?

what i would like

1. yes i would like games to be more advanced than current mainstream hardware

62.2%
  2. no i would like to get a constant 60fps and dont care for graphic

25.6%
  3. i dont care i just play the game as it is

12.2%
  1. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hi all this is a pole to see what ud prefer developers to work towards,

would you prefer game developers to push the gaming gfx boundary beyond the current main stream hardware, so it will run on 1x latest gpu ok but youd really need multiply high end gpus to run it maxed.... or would you prefer them to make games run on mainstream components at the cost of graphic

i ask this as so many complain when their gpu wont run a game with nice visuals but then when they release another with main stream visuals these same people complain that their crap and they have all this power left over they want to use

MY ANSWER
    i always want them to push the games more than hardware as it will make the hardware develop faster and also give us something to constantly ponder about

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    it's all about gameplay

3. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    There needs to be a balance. In a lot of games there is nominal settings ( normal and low ) then there is a high settings which is usually just higher textures and shadows ( double the res of normal ) then there is very high.

Very high settings are never optimised, they throw as many effects in as they can and don't tweak the streaming or resources or anything so you get an unreasonable drop in performance for the visual boost.

This is why so many DX9 only games have better visuals/performance ratios than games with DX10/11 effects thrown on top. So if I can take that same very high setting but have it under DX9 so they can optimise it across the board, then I would happily do that in order to boost visuals for people with lesser PC's and greatly increase performance for people with better PC's.

I want good graphics, but I don't want 30 frames without AA and with half the settings turned off kind of graphics ( metro2033 on vhigh basically has to have DoF, tessellation, AA and physx turned off to have min frames above 20 ).

Resident Evil 5, Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2. These are examples of really good looking games that also run well.

I'd take more of those sort of games than another AVP3 or BFBC2 unoptimised mess again.

@eclap.

Performance enhances immersion, visuals enhance immersion. These things are part of gameplay.

If you are struggling to enjoy it because of constant frame rate plummeting or objects with textures so low in an RPG that you snap out of your immersion and realise you are playing a game once more...then gameplay gets taken down a few notches.

4. Garone

Garone Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Story and gameplay comes first. Usually I'd rather have 60 FPS with decent visuals but if the game looks like Crysis I'm okay with 30.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    he said it all.

6. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
    There should be an option for those who would like a balance of good frames & nice graphics!!

I would take a steady 60fps and knock my settings down from UberUltraMegaHigh to High over 30000000000fps with crappy gfx or 5fps with world ending gfx.

I know there is an option reg 60fps, but I find the look of the game important (as others have said) as it adds to the gameplay (most important)!!

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I cant really give an answer to this poll.

I want balance, right now there is no balance, we have powerfull hardware and lacking graphics beacuse of outdated consoles.

8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    I dont care if I dont get 60fps as long as the game feels smooth. I dont have fps displayed when I game. Most of the time I just put some random high-highest (shadows to medium) settings and if it works, I'm done with those and start gaming.

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    The gameplay comes first followed by graphics and as long as it's playable that's great, I'd rather play the game than monitor fps.

10. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Everything depends on the engine.
    So yes and no. Graphics play a big role but it's not all that matters. Look @ Dragon Age. It obviously didn't look the part but certainly made up for it by being great in just about everything else. It's not a two way street. It never really is just.. one or the other.

11. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    gameplay.

whos the numpty that chose to keep games the same :p

12. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I prefer solid story & performance over flashy graphics.
    Don't get me wrong...I love a great looking game, but I still play my older games because the story is awesome, not because they look outdated.

13. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    Probably clicked the wrong button. :nerd:

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    So many other things to consider as well.
    Like Storyline, Gameplay, animation quality, texture detail, with quality AA...

And all this can be achieved without maxing todays hardware.
    So I cant vote because you havent thought the options through!

15. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    +30 FPS and best quality possible on single player

on multiplayer, since im mostly playing fast and kinda competitive, i dont focus a lot on graphics, so tweaking them down to reach +60FPS works fine.

16. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    Gameplay first, always.

17. ct03

ct03 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
    I never understood the obsession with 60fps. 40fps is what I tend to aim for because it looks perfectly fine and playable to me.

For slower paced titles like Batman even 25 to 30fps does the job very well. Remember that movies are 24fps.

18. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    lol. Movies have a fixed viewing aspect, the camera pans are done slowly and deliberately throughout the movie. It's nothing like in games where YOU are in control of the camera and any sudden movements at low frame rates creates visual lag. Having low frame rates in games would be the game equivalent of vertigo. If you think that an image stuttering or blurring is normal; see a doctor.

When you turn fast in real life, everything is still in focus. In FPS games, even at 60 frames when turning fast, it blurs because it can't render the frames fast enough and when shown consecutively it does not show fluid movement.

Secondly, movies have a fixed frame rate. If a game is locked at any frame rate it will appear smoother than than same frame rate as an average. But that does not mean that 24frames locked is as smooth as 60 frames minimum in games.

19. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce

+1

Devs need to learn to have more increment steps in the graphical options. Crysis 1 did this rather well imo.

Should be able to turn things on and off to finetune the experience for your hardware.

20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    There are other reasons as well. When gaming you're using alot more of your senses, touch, hearing, seeing, ... in a movie you're just using hearing and seeing.

While the image might appear smooth to your eyes at 24 frames in a game, the gameplay doesn't. You can just feel something's off when moving around, your mouse feels laggy, etc.

The human eye might only need 24 fps, but with all our senses combined, we can see and feel alot further.

Though there are 2 games that somehow strangely are playable on 30 fps for me, Crysis and Metro. In any other game I'll scream lag if it dips below 60.