1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

graphics upgrade for a laptop

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by icedman, Jan 13, 2019.

1. icedman

icedman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    So I have 2 Dell latitude laptops that I got for free in E-waste at work and they both work amazingly well both have i5 CPU's which are plenty for what I use them for but I would like more GPU power for when I'm home or even to take on the go possibly. So I guess what I'm asking is there such a thing as a pci-e mini to full size pci-e the laptops have 2 spare ports probably for ssd's or wifi/bluetooth and the pci-e mini is not the same as a pci-e x1 but are both pci-e x1. And if such connectors work will there be an issue in software or hardware preventing it from working. Sorry if this is all a little confusing sent from cell phone and it was alot to cram in.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Do you have any TB3 ports?

3. icedman

icedman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    No thunderbolt unless the dock station allows for it but i don't think it does it might be too old they're sandy/ivy bridge cpu's.

4. icedman

icedman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    Just looked online and the dock does not appear to have thunderbolt which is too bad it would have made this way easier.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Even if you will manage that you will face little issues, because whatever external card you put in it should work closely with iGPU because monitor can be attached only to HDMI/VGA ports connected to iGPU.

6. icedman

icedman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    The external GPU would be for docking purposes only and would be connected to external monitor plugged into external video card.