Graphics card suggestion.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by anthony, Apr 26, 2008.

1. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6600GT top <- Smoken fast
    Ok guys its time for a new video card. I need a suggestion. Im willing to spend $400CAD at the MOST. What im looking for is a decent card / cards[sli combo]
    that will get me some nice game playing. Currently im interesting in COD4 and crysis. what do you guys think i should get?

2. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Honestly I would read many of the hundreds and hundreds of reviews of video cards that are posted not only by guru3d but also many others. Then once educated by those that test these cards for the sole purpose of the readers that visit the particular website you can make your decision based upon the pro's. Sigh I just stfu I guess I get toooooooooooooo pissed about this bs lol

3. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX N560Ti TwinFrozr2
    ofcourse a 8800GTS!
    however, a 3870GX2 should be a future proof investment! :)

4. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    3870 X2 !

5. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    are they going to continue to produce the 8800GTS? i thought the GT was its replacement? id rather grab a card that maybe later down the road i can buy another for sli. what do you guys think about the 9800GTX?

6. Gucci

Gucci Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti
    Im so happy with my HD3870X2 that i just have to recomend that one too you... the only card that im kind of anxious to get is maybe the HD4870 that comes in may... possibly the HD4870X2.... it all depends on how much better it actually is...

7. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Don't get the 3870x2, it's a waste of money. Look at benchmarks, you can get far better price-performance cards on the nvidia side, currently.

All listed after price-performance! (ascending order)
    Low budget cards that rock: 9600GT, 8800GT, HD3780
    Medium budget cards that rock: 8800GTS G92 (512mb)
    High budget cards that rock: 9800GTX, 9800GX2, 9800GTX SLI, HD3780x2

This is made after my head and all the benchmarks I've seen so far (and I've seen loads). At the moment, ATI just isn't producing as good cards as nvidia, price-performance. And even when the 4xxx series arrive, nvidia will comeback with some kickass gt200 :)

8. paulst560

paulst560 Member Guru

GPU:
    (2) BFG Tech Gforce 8800G
    Here is what you want hands down.

9800 GTX is the best you can do. You can get it for about $330. Can get the job done with about 60watts per card less for and sli rig. Now Sli, is the big one. You may not see yourself today with triple sli, but how about tomarrow. If you go with less than the GTX series, guess who is screwed and pissed away some cash. GTS and GT series will only support 2 way sli. I run Crysis on High settings on 1680 X 1050 res. It looks and plays well. I spent $400 for each of my cards and want one more. Not necessity, but how fun is that. So we have $400 three times, versus $330 three times. Do the math. You get very close performance to my rig with less power consumption. Never going to use triple Sli, 2 8800gt's will out perform one GTX, GTS or ULtra. Hope this helps. Leaving no room for growth always cost's more end the end. I will need a 1200 watt psu, when I add the new card. Three 9800 GTX's will get it done with 850 to 1000 watts. The 1000 would be major overkill in this situation.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  9. Dastero

Dastero New Member

GPU:
    Zogis 9800GTX SLi
    Yep I also say 9800GTX. Just got one to replace my 2 GTS 640's(second in fedexes hands till mon) and it is a very nice card for the cash. They also OC extremely well mine runs at 845/2010/1265.:)

10. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    thanks guys for the replies. I really never have liked ATI to be honest plus my board supports sli so id be wasting money if i bought one. Looks like im going to wait till i see a nice sale on the 9800GTX... What to you guys prefer for brand? Ive always used asus but the BFG cards look real nice. There are some new ones too like Galaxy, Palit, Zotac

11. Dastero

Dastero New Member

GPU:
    Zogis 9800GTX SLi
    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=ZT-9800GTX here is a great deal and this is a great retailer. Great service and very fast. The cards are all the same at the moment just dif stickers. The warranty is the dif right now but all of them have a year and that is as long as I will ever be on the same vid card.
    (EVGA and BFG's service can't be beat though)

12. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA is best(they have a step-up program and lifetime warranty, so when you get tired of your card, you pay a few extra bucks and replace it with something newer ;)), but if you can't afford the few extra bucks for an eVGA, get an XFX or BFG. As far as I know, they too have lifetime warranty, but no step-up program.

Those are currently, without a doubt, the best brands out there.

13. clintonius

clintonius Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512
    One quick question -- what monitor size and resolution are you playing at?

14. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
  15. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    BFG just started a step up program FYI

16. eynmyn

eynmyn Master Guru

go with a 9800gtx if you cant wait for the new serie of cards.just look at the reviews at resoloutions up to 1900x1600 it beats all the cards even close to the 9800x2.3870x2 is pure junk dont get it for 400 dollars wtf it cant even compete just turn on aa af its way behind.

17. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    hey i would go fur 8800GTS 512sli

18. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    At last, an intelligent suggestion from kylzer.
    I agree with you :)

19. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    well right now my my current monitor only supports 1440x900 so that will be the rez im running at until i get a new monitor... i can get a XFX GeForce 9800GTX with cod4 for 350 CAD im just wondering if i should pull the trigger and order. Good price or no?

20. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    i mean dude the GT200 cards are just around the corner are you sure you wana splash cash on a 9800gtx then...like 2 months a way better card comes out?