Graphics card shipments fall as mining demand weakens

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Indeed, same with AMD's latest Vega cards. But the thing is, would you rather have the drop "back" to MSRP-near prices half a year before something new launches, or afterwards? When everybody's already starving for a new card, paying more for something old can be avoided, paying more for something new AND the old stuff is just double crap for gamers and then all we get is the usual hardware manufacturers complaints "people aren't buying PC hardware anymore" etc.

2. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Obviously I'd prefer now, with low prices on the Pascal lineup Nvidia won't be able to charge as insane prices for next gen cards as they would like. also high prices causes lots of people to hold back which means even higher demand for next gen cards, which affects availability and pricing

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Well, I suspect that Vega is back to MSRP, at least if we take the the power color and saphhire model as references:

See:

https://geizhals.at/?phist=1735174&age=9999

https://geizhals.at/?phist=1750600&age=9999

Remember that the Vega launch was a royal mess when early batches were sold for MSRP-$100 because reasons and then the cards magically jumped up by 100 bucks.

Needless to say that the cards aren't particularly attractive at those price points.

Weirdly enough 1080 TIs are still sitting at moon prices.

-Tj- likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Which is exactly what I said a post before, I completely agree.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Hmm... You are right. I had totally forgotten it was so expensive in the beginning.

I guess the price reflects its mining performance, not so much its gaming performance.

6. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    Looks like the 1080 Ti prices are going to stay high. They never went as high here as overseas, but they haven't gone down at all. Some cards have even gone up lately.

7. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    On Newegg here in the states, looks like Vega 56 & 64 are at about original msrp now.

8. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Depends on how you define soon. I suppose for youngsters soon means next month or two but at my age, soon can mean next year. Regardless, Nvidia are coming out with new cards "soon"

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  10. Paco Ignacio

Paco Ignacio Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx 1070
    F...k bitcoin, i hope it crumbles soon

The Phoenix likes this.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    they will be forced to sell bellow mrsp, like it suppose to happen after a product gets old.. not milk it and make some stupid excuses.

Suits them right. Karma is a bitch, even envydia won't get around it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Keitosha, Embra, fantaskarsef and 2 others like this.
  12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So Nvidia also felt for the mining craze? Loool!!!

Totally agree with this. Hope all digital "coins" suffer the same fate.

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    So they'll have to go back to compelling gamers to buy new hardware at prices like we used to see. We might even see price drops on this nearly 2 year old hardware they're still selling at Premium+ prices.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  15. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Hopefully in a while we can get away from stories popping up on my feed going "This RX 580 is only $280 right now!"... that's only a 1+ year old GPU, almost 2 years for the base tech, with a 80%+ markup on the MSRP - yay?

16. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    the problem they may have is pricing to sell these cards. If they price them too low, it will look bad on what they make the msrp for the new line of gpus to come out soonish. They may be in a pickle with this.

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Kind of ironic. Graphics card prices finally go back down to normal and nobody wants to buy them. :rolleyes:

During the height of the mining craze a lot of people were saying that GPU manufacturers should increase production. We can now see why that was a bad idea. Mining is fickle, and can turn on a dime.

Maddness likes this.
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Actually if they did it at time of craze, then they would satisfy demand. Prices would stay acceptable. Increasing production at end of it was bad move. As now they have only gamers/desktop users. And those expect something new or lower prices as it is hardware made for quite a few years.
    (In that time forge cost per wafer went down, yields went up.)

19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, honestly, it's nothing unusual if you compare it to the most basic economic principles. They just rose the prices too high (they being somebody, be it graphics card manufacturers or the retailers), so people didn't buy and saved their money. They went from inflated pricing to "normal" pricing now, but people still don't want to buy. Now if this trend continues they will hit a deflated pricing level, meaning you could buy below "normal" prices.

That's why governments like inflation more than deflation, because the companies lose on deflation, and gain on inflation, whereas, of course, the customer has it the other way around.

20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    As I said, mining is fickle. There was no way to tell when the craze would end, thus no way to properly time when to increase/decrease production. Also, it's not like they can just ramp up production overnight - it takes time for these things to happen (and by the time they go into effect the market could have changed significantly). My guess is that they increased production to satisfy gamers, and are now suffering the consequences. This is why companies like AMD were reluctant to embrace mining - they had seen this before.