Graphics card sales to remain difficult throughout second half of 2018

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    But, But, what about this "supposed" price drop??

Silva likes this.
  3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Hmm yeah lets see... still selling at the launch price for 2 year old hardware that's soon to be replaced. Sounds like a great monetary choice... NOT

We may be desperate, but we're not dumb

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I did drop. From way over MSRP to MSRP. Greed prevents it from going any lower.

5. Moto_Life

Moto_Life Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 1070 gaming X
    I love gaming on pc and have for many many years but if prices remain high when i have to upgrade then im done with it. I have other interest too and i'll be more then happy to spend my money on those instead.

Silva likes this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Let them suffer.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so they admit crypto mining was cause of all this, and now that it has died down they refused to drop the prices they jacked up cause they wanted to exloit it in turn hurting people that wanted the card to game with them? I thought they were all about the gamers?? not that i ever believed that

I like my computer and do most my gaming on it, but if this stupid dont stop I will have no choice but to abandoned PC as main gaming platform.

This 1070ti I have is technically going to waste for 1080p I use mostly use and 4K TV I do see the difference in 4K vs 1080p it not powerful enough to keep framerates where I like them, I guess I could start playing at 1440p seeing this 4K tv supports that resolution, I only spent what I did on this 1070ti set up from evga cause at the time I was just spending money as means to coup with certian issues

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Keitosha likes this.
  8. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    That would be a good time for AMD to come for rescue... but I guess they need to be rescued themselves, given how little you heard these days the Radeon name. It feels like there's just one brand in the video card market right now.

9. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Yeah no kidding, they cost an arm and a leg. Lower the prices you windowlickers.

Silva and airbud7 like this.
  10. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    re: Graphic card sales

I don't have any sources or special insight on this, but I seriously doubt that people are going to be pleased about what the pricing on the new GTX 1180 cards will be. (If they are as powerful as rumors claim.)
    Nvidia knows that there is an absolute mob waiting to grab the 1180; gamers and, likely, miners both. They have no competition at that performance-level to be concerned about. And, they have board-partners and vendors with genuine concerns about unsold Pascal products, both on the shelves and in the pipeline. Why would Nvidia knee-cap them, and itself, by having the 1180 priced so that it collides with it's Pascal line? The 1180 will be "Sold Out" not "Add to Cart" upon launch at pretty much anything that they choose to ask for it.

Where it gets tricky for Nvidia, is when the lesser cards in the line-up start to drop. The 1170 and 1160 will almost certainly need to intersect the Pascal family, price-wise. Not a problem that I would want to have, from the perspective of either Nvidia, a board partner, or a vendor/retailer. Somebody in that group is going to be unhappy.

The Radeon card situation has improved a bit. You can buy a Vega; they are in stock, albeit not near their MSRP. The Polaris cards are readily available. And, the RX 580s are, in my opinion, becoming pretty reasonable choices from a price standpoint, at least here in the United States. The RX 570 is currently in a very odd place, price-wise, being much too near the 580. It needs to fall closer to $200USD. Both the RX 560 and 550 need to be $15~$25USD cheaper.

Now, does anybody really believe that AMD is going to sail into the Christmas holiday season with nothing to entice buyers? They can't offer new GPUs, but they could start getting busy about ramping down the cost of chips to their board partners, with the understanding that, they, in turn, will pass that savings along to consumers. (Maybe not...)

Or, they could go with the free bundled games approach. Or, maybe some Radeon/1st-gen Ryzen combo with an irresistible price. Something. Watch for it.

The wild-card is if the second-hand market becomes awash in cards formerly used for mining. I wouldn't know where to plug that bit of chaos into the graphic card sales equation. It would be easier just to go out and grab breakfast, or maybe get drunk.

airbud7 likes this.

11. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    1) they didn't have to "admit" anything. They acknowledged it long ago and everyone knew it anyway. Moot point.
    2) they didn't refuse to drop prices and they aren't the ones that hiked the prices to begin with
    3) Exploit? Not quite accurate but ok. But a business exists to make money and of course they will take advantage of situations that allow them to make more. But see 2....not relevant.

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I guess the retailers and OEMs are pining for the good ol' mining days.

Remember when a 1080 Ti used to cost $1500? Pepperidge Farm remembers. :p

Silva and 386SX like this.
  13. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Nvidia started this gap, they should be the one's fixing it. If they think there gonna sell us rebranded junk, AMD will fill the void nicely. I am not brand loyal, but have been waitying patiently for too damn long now.........AMD may be my next pick so as to send a message to the Green fat cats!!!

Silva and Faslane like this.
  14. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    well this crypto crap will blow in the faces of Nvidia and AMD whit this prices, fortunetly i get my card just before this madness start so i am lucky, just one way is open for them lower the prices ASP or get stuck with large amount of cards on stores and loose more money !!

Faslane likes this.
  15. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    This is 4th or 5th post about price dropping in GPU from last couple of months.But here in India there's not a single cent has been decreased from a last year.

Silva and airbud7 like this.

16. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    I'm glad I got a 1080ti on release day, because it looks like I'll be using it for...ever? At this rate I can see myself just throwing in the towel and buying a next gen console. They are starting to use mouse and keyboard for those anyway. Not willing to deal with these GPU pricing and availability issues and RAM pricing issues.

Silva likes this.
  17. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    What are you ranting about? NVidia didn't start anything. The prices went up because of supply and demand, the retailers knew they could raise prices, so they did. NVidia didn't raise the prices. AMD gpus went up in price also, that wasn't NVidias fault either, it was the greedy sellers. As for selling "rebranded junk", it's AMD that has been rebranding their gpu's and selling them

18. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
    Baffles me why people are willing to spend double the price they will never recoup in power saved because the cards more efficient than the competition at stock speeds.
    Understandable if its a laptop that has practical real world need for it but for desktops i just dont get it.
    All these new cards put most importance on how efficient they are because they feel those who buy them have no money to pay the bills ?

19. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
    PC gaming is terrible for cheating.
    The advantage using a pc today has gone.
    Visual differences only really noticeable to the full nerds.
    Consoles on the other hand have the advantage of banning the hole machine hardware if anyone is caught cheating.
    A huge intensive not to even try.
    Its nice to know wile gaming on the console you died from skill not some hardware advantage or cheating wall hack or aim bot.

20. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    While it is more difficult to cheat on consoles it also hapens and I don't want to play games on gamepad, it's clunky and in many cases out right frustrating. Plus there is a huge amount of games that do not exist on any console. And anyway, I would still need a computer for work, so the combination will never be cheaper.

So I'll just wait for the next year or even a year after for completely new build, buy myself a nice freesync 1440p monitor and a mainstream card for that, should be reasonably cheap and powerfull enough for most of the games on high/ultra. Or I'll just stick with the 1080p resolution, no problem. In fact I mostly play strategies or WoW so GPU isn't such a big factor as it used to be.

On a side note, did anyone ever tried buying and using a mining card ? I guess it wouldn't do a stable OC, but it should hold the default frequencies fine, right ?