Graphics Card Overheating?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by NewB4Ever, Dec 25, 2005.

1. NewB4Ever

NewB4Ever Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI xl1600
    Hey Everyone!

It seems that I'm running into some problems with my graphics card. It started a few days ago to where Final Fantasy XI just started to crash. After trying again, I noticed that the graphics were really bad. It was to the point where textures were streching themselves and I was missing others. After a flick of my power supply, I then thought it could have been the drivers. I rolled them back to standard ATI (coming from DNA's) and still the same thing. One last thing just to make sure, I formated. Well after about 2 hours of work, I finally have a working computer again, that is until I loaded up Final Fantasy. The same thing started to happened (I tried to take a snapshot but it only turns out as a black screen)

After opening up my case, I can quickly tell that my graphics card is way to hot just for the 2 min boot up I did. I checked the fan on it to make sure it was still spinning, No problems there. I also have a pci card of two fans running right below the card. Both fans are running just fine. Did a quick reboot to check system temps. Everything is A'Ok.

At this point in time I'm not sure what to do. There isn't much I can do within windows since it crashes after a few mins. right after boot up. Is there any suggested settings I can try in the bios?

System Specs:

Abit NF7-S2
    ATI 9700 Pro
    512 DDR
    Athlon XP 2800 (3200+)
    WD Raptor 36 / Maxtor 120 Gig
    Windows XP Pro SP2

Thank you for your time and happy holidays!

-+>Aaron

2. bill83

bill83 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X700Pro PCIe x16, 256MB GDDR3
    Did you clean up the dust?

Before cleaning up, it was about 75c when playing Far Cry. It dropped more than 5c after cleaning. BTW, what is your GPU temperature while playing games?

3. NewB4Ever

NewB4Ever Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI xl1600
    What would you say is the best program at checking the temps?

Thank you for the reply btw. ^^

-+>Aaron

4. bill83

bill83 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X700Pro PCIe x16, 256MB GDDR3
    ATi Tray Tools. Set up a chart before gaming, play the game, then observe the temp graph.

5. NewB4Ever

NewB4Ever Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI xl1600
    Now I ran into a small problem.

First and foremost, my motherboard is kinda screwed up. If I take out my graphics card I need to clear the cmos to get it working again. ( I know, I know...I should get a new one). It always gave the error that the graphics card wasn't plugged into the motherboard (By the bios beep codes). During this time I decided to clean the card of all the dust. I took off the fan (not the heatsink) and cleaned that through. After reapplying the fan back to card I was ready to go.

I plugged card back into my case and flipped the switch, only this time to find that the error codes are gone yet there is no picture and the fan isn't spinning. I don't even get the basic bios start up beep code that usally happenes.

I'm not sure what happened.

Anyone have any thoughts to this?

-+>Aaron

6. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    Maybe you didn't plug correctly the video card's fan. Or the card got fried when the fan wasn't spinning. Or something else got fried, but when those kinds of things happen, most of the time it's a dead cpu/mobo/memory.

7. NewB4Ever

NewB4Ever Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI xl1600
    I popped in my old GeForce 4200, same thing....No picture but the fan is spinning. After clearing the CMOS I do get a picture. Swapped back my 9700 and cleared the cmos...Nothing. Still the same thing with no fan spinning either.

Well I guess the next step would be for me to buy a new graphics card. Any thoughts to this? I am looking for something better then a 9800 Pro but under a $200.00 price range. Also non pci express.

Thank you in advanced

-+>Aaron

8. MM-K

MM-K Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 1GB
    Maybe one of the 6600 series cards...