Graphic performance loss ( Win xp to 7 )

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by FeNiX23, Feb 8, 2010.

1. FeNiX23

FeNiX23 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870 XXX Edition
    Hi, my problem is that I recently upgraded from Windows xp pro to Windows 7 and I noticed a major performance loss ( 15-20% ) in many games. For example, Mass Effect 2 was running fine all maxed out with 2X AA ( force via nhancer ) and now with windows 7, i get the same framerate without my AA.

Same is happening with Modern warfare 2 :(

With xp I had 196.21 drivers and now I with win7 I have 196.34 drivers.

Is that normal? If it is, why?

Thank you

2. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    Hello FeNix23
    I came across this on the internet: http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/information/windows-xp-vs-vista-vs-7/

You can try to turn off some aero effects. If you only want the shiny aero effects to turn off when you start a game, you must right-click on the game shortcut and select Properties-Compatibility and check the "disable visual themes and disable desktop composition".
    You should also try other drivers for your graphics card.
    Remember to use driver sweeper. :)

3. FeNiX23

FeNiX23 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870 XXX Edition
    Thanks for you reply, I already tried disabling all of the Aero effects and I installed 196.21 WHQL driver, and it didn't change anything :(

4. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Thats your problem right there. Switching over to Windows 7. Let me explain something to you. First of all, XP IMO is still the fastest OS ever, moving around your desktop, in copying & moving files and in browsing the internet.
    Is XP faster in games over Windows 7 Overall? I would say, in about 90% of games yes, the last 10% i would say no. Windows 7 does run certain games better on XP, but not by alot. That doesn't mean that windows 7 can't run games. But overall XP is still much faster over windows 7 and Vista. The only thing that Win 7 or vista( vista is stupid, but still going to mention it ) is that those OS's look a trillion times better and its more stable and does stuff so much better.

As for myself, i have use XP*( which i am using now ) , but when i use Windows 7 and play the same games which i have played, i also lose about 10-20% performance lose, i can't max out the same games i did on xp and if i do, i lose performance, but keep in mind, the game is still very playable, but i just lose some performance. Thats just the way it is, unless you have a Super super high end Card and a super high end rig. But still the point it, Xp is still faster.

In the long run, its best to have 2 rigs, one for XP( older games ) and another rig for new games( windows 7 ) which i plan to do.

I have fully tested almost every driver vs XP, it won't help lol. That performance lost is not really a big deal, even tho The only thing i don't like Vs XP to Windows 7, even tho games run decently on windows 7 despite the performance lost, recording is a pain in the ass depending on what game it is. Recording games with fraps on XP is super smooth, but on windows 7 depending on what game, ugh forget it.

You can try using the 181.20 or some other older drivers , or the 185.85 with your 8800gt, but changing drivers won't really help.

See above, its just the way it is. XP is less demanding, thus game performance is always superior. Win 7 is more demanding, thus performance lost. Depending on what rig you have and Card, using windows 7 will help, but if your rig and card is not the best or near it, you will get that performance lost. But as i said before, its only about 10-20% performance lost, 30% lol depending on what game it its.

I am enjoying XP on my new dual core system, even tho when i get my main gaming rig a Quad , i plan to use Win 7 for it. Its good to have 2 rigs :)

5. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Also looking at your computer specs, i would say its alright, even tho buying a better CPU will help slightly. But your specs are alright, but i would use XP for that rig. In other news, i did notice that if you install EAX or all those other sound effects and if you have them on/enable for your sound card, you will lose performance. Uninstall the sound drivers and only install the drivers, not nothing else and if you have EAX install, turn it off. None of those effects are special IMO, but then again i only use headphones.

Aero has nothing to do with game performance. Turning it off, won't change anything. The bottom line, its because you switch over to Win 7, you will lose performance vs XP, thats it. I am not into building computers, i only deal with prebuilt. But my advice, use Xp for the rig you have, and buy a secondary rig for windows 7 and get better a Better CPU + Video card.
    I notice certain hardware just can't keep up with windows 7. The os is way more demanding over XP.

6. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    Windows xp is only faster when run on a outdated pc imo. When you've got a pc that can use windows 7 to it's full potential the difference is negligible. I'm guessing your performance drop is caused because of that processor and the 3gb.

7. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Well yes, Windows 7 or Vista will be only fully used, if you have a new PC/CPU/ and a powerful video card with alot of ram. Which is why for my main computer, i plan to get a total of 12GB with Windows 7 64bit with a Power cpu, Quad core. Only thing i plan to use a ATI 5670 :)

8. FeNiX23

FeNiX23 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870 XXX Edition
    For sure my processor is not the best, but its comparable to a X2 6000+ at these speeds, and the performance loss I get is coming from the videocard.

In some DX9 games I need to drop the AA down to get the same performance as with xp so it can't be the cpu or the ram, AA doesn't use them...
    ( I specified DX9 because I know that DX10 adds more stuff and is more demanding than DX9.. and Xp don't support it either )

But thanks for your replies!

9. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I am using Windows 7 Ulimate 32bit now, fresh install. I do notice that watching videos in HD, is smoother now, watching videos at any level is 100% smooth now, compared that to XP, where it was stuggling in HD. So switching over to Win 7 from xp does improved alot of stuff with ease.

10. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Weak CPU and only 3GB of RAM. On Windows 7. Theres you problem.

11. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    my dual-boots are xp-sp3 x32 and win7 x64. its are much importants because xp is still faster than win7 for games except dx10. if any game doesn't have dx10 option then you must change to or keep xp (dual-boots or not ;))!!

:)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  12. tomgreen321

tomgreen321 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD6870
    3GB of memory is plenty for anything but Crysis. What are you guys talking about?

13. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    I went with Vista 64 bit 2 years ago and now am on Win 7 64bit, when I try and use an XP machine it just pisses me off how slow it is. Does not matter the specs, just seem sluggish. Same with games, my games fly on Win 7, had issues with some games running right on XP, that is gone now. Xp is dead man, get over it. :)

14. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Xp is still faster in games, read depending on the game. But overall XP wins for gaming. Even tho Win7 is still the best OS overall. :) Which is why its wise to have 2 gaming rigs, unless you like or have the time to dual boot, which seems silly to me.
    I am using Windows 7 now, best OS ever, kinda hard to go back to XP lol, which is why i said its good to have 2 rigs.

Peace

15. Joohan

Joohan Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 Nano
    Why exactly is dual booting silly and why does someone need extra time for it? Having two different computers with different OS's is alot more sillier than dual booting on a decent machine which can run both OS's well. Anyway, if you're a gamer, just save up and get a good system with Win7 and if you really need it, dual boot with XP. No reason what so ever to have two different computers if one of them is able to run Win7 well enough.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010

16. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Well i just think dual booting is silly, personal opinion. I just like the idea of having 2 rigs, makes things more easy for me. For my Pentium D i plan to continue to use Windows 7 on it, however i am buying a Quad core as my main computer soon, not sure on what i want to use on it. I want to use Win7 , a different edition on it, but at the same time, windows 7 can't play/run certain older games like Ford Racing 2, 3, etc. So i am just going to use a certain edition of XP on the Quad core, unless i can find a way to make ford racing games work with win 7.

17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    maybe your soundcard can't handle it or you use crappy sound drivers. lol dont recommend others not to use it, its stupid.:stewpid:

Its fine here and it sounds 10x better with Eax on, on headphones or speakers.

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Nothing wrong with sticking with winxp for a bit longer. Win7 is nice and all, but, winxp is still a fine os.

19. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Hey guys I have a question. Not trying to highjack this thread but, how many times can you install W7 Pro on a PC and how many different PC's are you allowed to install it on? With XP I can install as many times as I want on as many different PC's.

20. Joohan

Joohan Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 Nano
    Exactly! It really is stupid to recommend people to not to use EAX if it's available. It really is a totally different world with speakers and especially headphones so he must be using some really crappy hardware, drivers and headphones. I wouldn't really take any advise concering gaming from The General...