Graphic card makers see shipments decline by 40% in April

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 26, 2018.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Every time i read about the current ridiculous prices of GPUs i can´t stop to think of how lucky i was on winning a 1080Ti...

This sucks really hard for everyone or wants/needs a new GPU. The crypto madness can´t die soon enough...

Maddness and airbud7 like this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, say thanks to those who invented crypto mining. Any gamer living close to them should pay them a visit if the GPU prices surpass their price they're willing to pay / able to afford.

Lynching people should be more common these days.

3. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    The power of money will speak loudly next gen, they want to inflate price's I can buy a CPU with a IPU or go RED Team, GAMERS UNIT!!!! fawk the powers that be!

-Tj- likes this.
  4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Why all the negative comments? This all but confirms that the mining boom is over and that the GPU market will soon be back to normal.

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Is it really over? I don't say a single month's drop is such a big thing, if it continues for three months I'm more likely to agree. Do you have any insights in particular, since you're more familiar with the matter?

6. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    67 million dollars profit from 4.5 million sold only equates to a profit of $15 per graphics card.

7. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    You know what, in all these years, I think you're the first person who did ;) Now I wish I actually put something really clever in there.

Hilbert Hagedoorn likes this.
  8. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    If they try to gouge too hard it might not work out well for them. Gaming is still the majority of Nvidia's profits and more than all their other markets combined.

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You mean like they did for months now? :D
    Yes their revenue was kept up by mining, but what you describe now actually didn't hit NV that much, since their cards weren't as popular to mine (in the beginning at least). I generally think that mining has had more of an impact on AMD's availability, not NV's, but I might be wrong.

10. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    They have the miners as an excuse for the last few months. I'd hope that even the most loyal Nvidia fans wouldn't blindly accept Nvidia jacking up MSRP.

TheDeeGee and -Tj- like this.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I've seen plenty of signs that it's over - this news is only the latest. GPU availability is back in most places, and although prices are still high they've been steadily coming back down for the past couple of months. The hash rate of Ethereum also peaked about a month ago, suggesting that miners aren't expanding their operations, and some may have abandoned it altogether (as a personal example, my sister recently decided to stop mining and sold most of her GPUs).

This is not to say that we are completely in the clear - crypto prices have risen sharply in the past couple of weeks - but there is no longer the crazy buying frenzy that characterized the mining boom.

12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i don't think at this point the mining will completely die out just the fever for it will ease down as the profit margins got tighter but it is still profitable to mine ...i think we are on the road to hit equilibrium not everyone and their dog will try to mine and supply and demand will normalize to the new levels ... i am just a bit afraid the new cards might offer again big profit margins and will re-ignite some fever for it ... will see

13. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Mining for the foreseeable future will be a factor I think. Folks will just have to adjust to it. Hopefully Manufacturers will learn to adjust to it as well.

14. aKiss

aKiss Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050ti LP
    And the real bad news are yet to come,
    As bitcoin/ether is best mined with fast memory, the upcoming GDDR6 that promises twice the bandwith speed of GDDR5 can't be good news for consumers, oh well we will stick to integrated graphics from AMD and Intel's Vega chimera

15. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    I fell into a state shock when i read this ;):p:D

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That depends on the algorithm. Ethereum definitely benefits from fast memory, but the latency and clock speed matters more than bandwidth (this is why GDDR5 performs better than GDDR5X for ETH mining). For other coins, like ZCash or Verge, memory speed doesn't really matter too much.

At any rate, a new GPU probably won't impact mining that much. It's not the speed of GPUs which led to the mining boom but the price of the coins, which is determined by buying activity on exchanges. As long as prices don't shoot up to January levels, it should be good (currently ETH is sitting at $630 - all time high was $1370 in January).

17. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    It's Ok with actual prices. I won't buy an middle GPU for 500-600 euro. Good luck boys!
    P.S. Sold my 1070 for 500 euro, bought it for 350 a year ago :D

18. LevelSteam

LevelSteam Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
    [​IMG]

Jagman likes this.
  19. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Hopefully back to normal when 750ti level cards were enough to match latest console on the market, high end falling short at 4k is lame.

20. Sinean

Sinean Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 7900 xt
    Yea, Graphic card prices are coming down, I just need ram prices to drop before I pull the trigger to upgrade my system. Mainly Ram holding me back. Its double what it should be in my estimation.
    Need a new board, cpu, and ddr4 ram