Gran Turismo 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by boodikon, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    Well as i have had the pleasure to test out gt5 demo sometime ago, i can say that graphics have improved alot. it's not going to be jaw dropping but i have nothing to complain on that department.

Standard car in b-spec mode

[​IMG]

2. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    the whole standard vs. premium is stupid imho. Great screen shot and it looks nice just wish they all had the in car view. Looks like it has 2xaa on it.

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i hope there will be an option to turn off those noob lines on the road. I dont remember if Prologue had the option or not, but i don't expect the jaggies or blurry textures to be any different.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You can switch the driving line off... Textures wise, well there's only so much they can squeeze into PS3 memory, we'll have to wait and see, either way, the graphics look great, sure it won't be 1080p with 16xAA but it'll look ace...

Hell Prologue looked pretty sweet imho. Bring it I say! I can't wait for this game! :D

5. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    The only thing I wish they would do is turn on vSync! My god screen tearing should be outlawed!

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hmmm... I never noticed it in prologue. Maybe it was there but I never noticed? I'm sure GT5 will have it sorted :)

7. JPMATRIX

JPMATRIX Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GTX SLI
    Yes it does.

8. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    darn! LUCKY YOU!

9. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    The only time when I noticed screen tear in Prologue was when I was playing 2-player and drifting behind another car drifting really close in bumper view, with smoke along the whole way.

10. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    Bad news/rumors are starting to surface from Russia. Russian site madfanboy.com reported yesterday: (google translate)

Long arms SCEE Russia finally reached for the keyboard to notify is not very good news.

" "For technical reasons, the world premiere of Gran Turismo 5, the most anticipated release on the PlayStation 3 from Polyphony Digital, is transferred to several weeks. Running or remain in November (the last number), or appear on store shelves in early December 2010.

And one member of gtplanet told that he got mail from a store he ordered gt5 that it has been postponed to 30.11.2010.

This is all in russia and I hope it's just false information or something :(

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    Has it been fixed in GT5 because, if not, then I'm cancelling my pre-order? I found the tearing (and slowdown) in GT5 Prologue terribly distracting and would have preferred it if the developers had focused on 720p @ 60 fps with 2xMSAA rather than 1080p @ 60 fps with 2xMSAA because it seems clear to me that the PS3 just is not capable of handling it properly. Yes, 1080p looks glorious when you look at static images but it looks awful in motion with all the tearing IMO.

Forza Motorsport 3 on the 360 might not look as visually pleasing as GT5 but it runs silky-smooth with absolutely no screen tearing whatsoever and is a joy to play. Racing games for me are all about the experience and there's nothing more distracting and unrealistic than seeing screen tearing rippling its way down the screen on every corner.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Maybe the problem lies with your TV then cos as I said, I never noticed tearing while playing GT5P. How exactly does tearing occur btw? Is it when the framerates go over the screen's refresh rate? In that case there's nothing wrong in running the game at 1080p is there?

13. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    If it really ran at constant 60 fps on 1080p they would have enabled vsync but it is obvious the game will dip hard so they will disable vsync and there is not enough memory to run tripple buffering.

Anyway if you want to run 720p there is nothing stopping you setting that as the max in ps3 settings? The would force the game to run that right?

Anyway I can deal with a bit of tearing on the TV to be honest not as bad as sitting up front on the PC. Rather have mind blowing gfx at 30fps than Forza bland crap at 60.

Ultimamtely I wish they would just release this game on PC but there is no chance of that so have to spend silly money to just play the best racing game ever at substandard gfx settings :(

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No, Prologue defintely had tearing, sometimes worse than others, rather than constant.
    So think VSync was enabled, but was turned off when the framerate dipped, which makes sense really.

Some people can ignore tearing, but it drives me insane, i would rather a VSync 30fps, than 60fps with tearing, but Prologue wasn't the bad for me, was manageable most of the time, and im sure GT5 is much more optomized.

But arghhh, not another person who thinks tearing happens when the framerate goes above the displays refresh rate, where did this rumour start lol.

Tearing happens when the video output and display are out of sync, so the next frame starts being displayed before the last one is finished.

15. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Yea I only have froza 3 demo but found it to be gorges and ran like a silky beast! I for one hate screen tearing with such a passion it is one of the reasons I dumped my ps3 a couple of months ago with gt5p. Well it was the reason I went to PC gaming as a matter of fact. But alas I found that overall the gt series just was more fun than my sims and was a great game overall so I am back for the real deal with the hope of less screen tearing but I know it is in there because I have seen it in several videos posted through the past 3 months. I even saw it when I played the demo at target.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    oi oi forza 3 is still the best looking driving game out there until this beast comes out... but really i don't mind tearing but if it was 30fps no like....

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    If the tearing was a problem with the TV then I'd see it in Forza Motorsport 3 too. ;)

Tearing has nothing to do with the TV anyway; it just displays what the graphics chip sends it from its own framebuffer (the area of video memory that is used to build up the image to be output). The tearing occurs when parts of different images are sent to the framebuffer because the graphics card isn't synchronised with the refresh rate of the TV.

For example, if a game sends 87 frames to a TV that can only display 60 frames per second (60 Hz) then you'll see tearing because some of those frames will contain parts of other images. If a game only output exactly 30 or 60 frames per second to a 60 Hz TV then you'd never see tearing. Of course, games never run at exactly the same number of frames per second so without vertical synchronisation (which forces the graphics chip to sync with the display) then you'll always see tearing to a lesser or greater degree no matter what display you use.

Depending on how sensitive you are, you'll either notice it straight away as I do (unfortunately, no matter how slight!) or not at all. That's why you'll hear some people claim they haven't seen any tearing while others claim they have. I found GT5 Prologue to be headache inducing at times in its screen tearing with some tracks being noticeably worst than others, e.g. the London track was particularly bad to the point of being unplayable.

As for running the game at 1080p; no there's nothing wrong with it, it looks great in fact, but the extra hardware demands of outputting 2.25 times more pixels than 720p makes framerate drops and screen tearing far more likely, especially on the consoles which are running five year old plus technology. IMO, neither the Xbox 360 nor PS3 are really capable of handling 720p with AA at decent framerates for *all* games nevermind 1080p but hopefully that will change with the next generation of more powerful hardware.

18. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Is the game actualy going to be 1080p native? I thought all console games were 720p or even less.

If it was 1080p native and you forced it to run 720p throught the console display settings it should give you a better frame rate like it would do on the pc? Hence easier to get vsync on if it is on at all.

Maybe they should have vsync on for those at 720p and off for those who insist to run 1080p?

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
  20. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    gt5 (not gt5P) is a native 1080p game from everything ive read. Im not sure the programming on the ps3 works like a pc where its going to shoot out a better frame rate at a lower resolution. I wouldnt hold your breath on that one but if it does great. My guess is the frame drops in that game are resolution independent and are probably based on cpu limitations to calculate all the geometry.

As for vsync, ive always preferred more fps than eye candy so tearing has hardly ever bothered me (except for the original halo on pc).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.