Gran Turismo 5 Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by aircool, Jan 2, 2011.

1. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
  2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    I just about got my buddy talked into buying a ps3 for gt5 at tax time :p. Already nagged him into getting the wheel :).

3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Online racing is a bit of a pain. You can barely find any proper races with Group C, GT1, Prototype cars and half of the people are continuesly playing the Nurburgring.

4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    heck i continiously am playing the nurburgrng in sp :p tho i decided to try the indy 500 in a x1 just to see how fast i could do it.....and boy are my arms SORE. on pace of maybe a sub 2hr finish, tho i am taking a break every other pit stop.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Glad Xmas is over, now i can get some serious time on this baby, well as soon as i finish Borderlands GOTY, NFSHP, Heavy rain, Just cause 2, Mod nation racers, Dragon age ultimate edition, God Of War 1/2,......and LBP2 is on the horizon......God damn this only 24 hours in a day nonsense. LOL

6. JPMATRIX

JPMATRIX Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GTX SLI
    One thing I don´t get that I have been thinking about...

If I remember correctly all cars in GT4 had interiors right?

So if they imported the cars directly from GT4 (for god sake some of them still have gran turismo 4 written on them) why not the interiors?

And don´t say they're not detailed enough because that didn't seem to bother them with the other 800 cars.

I would prefer having a less detailed interior view than having none at all.

and by the way where is the pause menu on bspec mode?

7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Umm i doubt the "interiors" in the gt3 and gt4 cars are much more than maybe a seat for your "driver" to sit in that you can barely see through the tinted windows. Mean the ps2 would not have rendered them, ps2 was already pretty maxed out for what the game was doing at the time, spending tons of time making full on interiors would have been completely pointless back then. And any interiors that are there are certainly not even low quality enough to even count as interiors.

ANd try the start button.

8. JPMATRIX

JPMATRIX Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GTX SLI
    nope start button doesn´t do nothing...

9. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    Nope, in gt4 there wasn't any interiors and some of the cars have gt4 logos because they have those in real life too :)

10. JPMATRIX

JPMATRIX Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GTX SLI
    I must have mixed up with GT5 prologue then.

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Tbh the imported models don't look that bad, it's just the textures on them that are crap.

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    God this game really is awful, every time I try something new in it I am just left wondering what the hell they were doing for 6 years over at PD.

Today I tried online racing for the first time. To sum it up

The lobby is clunky, unintiutiave.
    The loading between sections is glacial slow taking 45 minutes to do 3 races. Sitting there looking at black screens wondering if anything is happening is really fun.
    The tards who ram, cut and cheat are not deterred by the totally ineffective attempts to stop them; penalties for cutting that equal having just taken the corner, a ghost mode that renders defence driving worthless whilst having no effect on those that just want to ram you, a damage system that is... well um, crap. Guy runs in to me, Iam doing 200mph he is doing 280mph, My car can no longer do more than 150Mph, he drives off as if he hit nothing.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    i had a go on this on my mates ps3,its just the same as all the other Turismo games just with better graphics,you can easily bounce of the walls and hit other cars alot and still win the race,turismo seriously needs damage like GRID race driver.

Turismo 3 was the last one i enjoyed before i got tired of the same racing mechanics and style.

i played an arcade lap at my friends,went into first place drove around a couple of bends and handed him back the controller saying to him what i just said above,even he agreed that he dont play it much and he prefers nfs pursuit.

Turismo is dated nowadays unless the make it like GRID.

14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    You get damage in online of the host turns it on, you get damage in single player if you turn it in practice mode. Maybe arcade also. But you also have to be like level 20 for cosmetic damage to show up at all and level 40 for full damage to show up in single player or something dunno cause i am not even close to level 40 to see what full damage unlocks at 40 means at all. And lets face due to the lack of any real race ai for the damn ai damage in single player would be the most gigantic pain in the ass you could imagine.

Turismo is not dated it is one of the best "sims" on consoles, it is far less forgiving of bad driving unlike forza, where you can do bad things and get away with it. Where it lost many of us core players is the annoying level system yea thur level 20 it is not bad but 25 and on it is just grind city to level up and little point in it past 30 cause the only thing being 40 gets you is the ability to buy one car in the entire game and this full damage stuff.

Free ride is and was where all the gts were for me trying to mater a overpowered car on nurburg was the goal in gt4 and just driving cars for fun was the goal and heck if i spend any time online it will be in my favorite cars in free ride.

Bottom line "sims" are not for everyone, if you like arcade racers fine but feels kind silly to buy a sim and expect need for crap arcade racer and the like that many of us that enjoy sims hate to no end. Hence you will not see me investing in any need for speed game then going into a nfs thread and complaining how much it sucks. Cause i know what the series is and therefore i will not buy and have any need to complain about it.

While i perfer gt4 and there are many thing about gt5 i loathe, it is still a good game just held back from being really great by the fact they did stray off the path and left many features out we had in gt4 and put in the pain in the ass level system. Nd it still has some of the best gfx in any racer to date pc or console included, long as we leave out the standard cars :p.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It's the main issue with online racing tbh. It's fun once you get into a lobby where people try and race properly, but most of the time I get into lobbies where people drive backwards on tracks, trying to ram me off the road because they got pissed off that their civic wasn't fast enough to beat my Peugeot 908 FAP from le mans.

While he completely smashes you into a corner, the other guy you were having a proper race with (which also had le mans type car), is long gone.

And another issue is the nurburgring. It's not like that I dislike that track, but seriously, HALF OF THE LOBBY's are racing that track.

Oh and a clear option to block people from using X1's or F1's would be nice. Right now you can still exclude them by setting a really low weight limit, just above the weight of the X1/F1 cars, but most people don't seem to realise.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Is it like grid where you can write the car off on the first bend once damage has been enabled?

17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    I dunno not tested damage extensively, but your can mess up your wheels, ruin the engine etc etc when damage is on tho i did not test in great detail how much of an impact it takes to mess my wheel up or blow my engine, i was just online with a vanishing track so i could not see parts of the track at all and running into guard rails and stuff i could not see lol. SO i decided to see how messed up i could get my car destoryed the whole front end engine was red could not get full speed at all, made both my tires go flat, and my wheels were red meaning they were damaged themselves, on top of having no tires.

Me personally i tend not to try to smash into guard rails as a general habit, nurburg i do it the most especially when trying to push a car for faster laps. And then i do not put damage on in practice mode since i am going for lap times not spending my time slowboating around cause i wrecked my car and have to pit.

Online damage tho overtime will repair itself if you stop hitting things, and can be fixed entirely by pitting. Assume it works the same in practice mode.

18. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Not really, I played GTR2 extensively online and whilst it did have it's problems it got a lot better in the later years and I had some real cracking races in that game. GT5 has had 6 years to get this kinda racing sorted and 3 years of Beta with Prologues online and somehow it is still a pile of total w*nk.

Actually NFSHP is a prime example of how the online racing system for GT5 should have been, the autolog is amazing. It shows you relevant info, races are quick to set up, car select is fast and the game goes from an easy to use lobby to fun racing in a matter of seconds. What ever you think of the actual driving the interface for getting on line is pretty faultless and the racing is actually fun... essentially it is everything that GT5 isn't.

GT5s problem is that not one single aspect of the game justifies the 6 years of development. The game took so long to develop because Kazunori Yamauchi wanted it to be perfect, that is a laughable statement given that nothing, not one single thing in the game is perfect. The game has a whole lot of they started on this part of the game, got so far with making it wonderful, involving and perfect but then got distracted by wanting to add something else to the game. Just about everything in the game feels half finished.

The hope from the community is that patches will make this the game it should be. This game will never be the game it should have been, no number of patches will sort the issues this game has.

No it is even more retarded by margins. Same guy same course the race required a proper hold brake start, I got a really good start and went from 5th to 1st. The guy runs in to my left rear before the first corner, overtakes me and disappears and now I am left with a car that pulls right for the rest of the race. The damage is not an issue it is just how it is dealt out, a guy crashing in to the back of you at a closing speed of 80Mph is gonna smash your car up and smash his up but this game seems to leave him with an otherwise drivable car and you with a heap of crap that won't do more than 150mph.

19. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    GT5 was in the works for like 3 to 4 years. I mean they did a psp game, did gt hd, gt5p etc. Some stuff they kept but alot they changed like the lighting the physics etc form gt5p why some stuff looks worse from gt5p in the shadows area with the addition to chaging lighting which kaz said messes up the shadows in gt5. Even some of the road textures were better in gt5p proabably concessions to getting 16 cars on track at 60 fps and then adding 3d support in the 13th hour.

The 5 6 years thing is pretty debunked, pd is a sort of a small studio and all the other side projects meant that while gt5 was being worked on for more than 3 years the teams attention was divided between the main game and many side projects they had to get out the door. SO during the 4 years to so the game was being worked on alot of manpower was diverted to get the psp game and the hd thing going as a sneak peek and then gt5p as a extended demo, then gt academy as even more of a preview. small or large they were diversions from the whole team being focused on gt5. Think if they had less distractions we would have seen the game months if not a year ago, nevermind that when sony wanted to make gt5 a showcase for their new 3d junk that a majority of people will not see for years.

20. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    Got a good feeling today that i might get silver/gold in vettel tests and i sure did, 3 tries in Nürburgring = silver and 30mins in Suzuka = silver. Now to get them all gold...