GPU temporary upgrade (from GTX580)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by darkbluesky, Apr 14, 2017.

1. darkbluesky

darkbluesky Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX580
    Hello,

I have a little problem that is pushing me to upgrade my gpu, but as the situation is a bit special I thought it would be better to ask for your advice.

I have an old custom built pc from 5-7 years ago (some parts were upgraded along the way), which is asking to upgrade, unhappily the current situation do not advice me to spend 1000-1200 € (this is what I calculate I would spend) for now, maybe later this year, but not now.

My mobo is an Asus Maximus II Formula, CPU Q9650, 8 Gb DDR2 RAM @1066, PSU Silverstone ST1500, several SSD and WD Black HDDs, Auzentech Prelude 7.1 Sound card (PCI), GTX580, Quadro K620, Asus HD750 MyTV capture card, USB ports extension PCI card, two monitors (DELL U2413 photographic at 1920x1200 and Samsung 2233RZ with Nvidia 3DVision at 1680x1050).

I use it for photo retouching, gaming, video editing, general work, etc. It has served me exceptionally well during all these years, even for gaming on 3D (I am not concerned with UHD resolutions, neither for online gaming, lag, very high fps, etc, but I use 3D).

Likely in the future I'll upgrade whole pc including the 3D screen to higher resolution, which also will ask for a better GPU of course, but for the moment my problem is different.

My Geforce GPU takes 3 slots, covering two additional PCIex 1x, but now I need to add an additional PCIex card (not GPU), so I need to be able to use one of these hidden slots. I thought that I could upgrade my Geforce with a 'normal' 2 slots GPU thus allowing me to use one of the picex1x sots. But then coming from a GTX580 (5 generations ago!) which one would you recommend me?

It is a must that it has to be as powerful, or better than the 580, to have DVI and DisplayPort output, be Nvidia (for 3DVision), and, if possible, below 200€. I keep in mind that this is a placeholder GPU until full upgrade, although I am not sure when I'll be able to do it, so I want to stay with a not so bad GPU, just in case.

I have seen a comparison in userbenchmarks.com between 580 and 1050 and the 1050 does not seem better/faster than the 580. The 1060 seems quite better, though, but maybe 'too' expensive (>200€). Maybe a better model from a previous generation would be a better idea?

As I have not followed GPU evolution during last years, neither the eventual problems/conflicts/weakness of each model (which are not listed in the official sepcs, but in forums like this, coming from the experience) I thought that asking you for help/guide was the best option to avoid take a wrong or silly decision.

I thank you very much for any advice you could give to me!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    A 1050ti would be a good bet.

OC easy to 2+ghz and decent OC on memory will put it a decent amount ahead of a 580.

If you want used a 970 would be a good option.

3. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 Gaming
    I went from a 580 to a 970 which doubled my performance.

4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700XT Raw II
    Its bigger then that.

580 is the same give or take as a GTX 660. 2x gtx 660=GTX 670. 2 GTX 670= GTX 970. All give or take depending on the game.

Just get a GTX 1050ti for a temp gpu if you dont wanna go after a GTX 970.

5. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    That's not quite accurate, the 670 is only something like 40% faster than a 660 and the 970 around 60-70% faster than a 670. Two things can make the 970 appear twice as fast as a 670 though, VRAM usage in newer titles and poor SLI scaling.

Having owned both a 580 & 970, I would say that the 970 is around twice as fast. The 580 is a bit faster than a 660, in fact somewhere in between that and a 670. It's also very comparable to some on the low end cards released today, faster than an rx 460 and on par with a non ti 1050:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-580-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/3150vs3650

I'd also say the 1050ti isn't good value unless it's a new builds you plan on scrimping on a power supply as it's biggest advantage is it's low power requirements and the fact you can slap it into almost any system. For 30 bucks more you could get a rx470 which is significantly better or even look at getting a second hand 970.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  6. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Myself I see these "temporary" upgrades are waste of money and time. Wait till you get money enough for a good PC for your needs (PSU, MB, CPU, RAM, GPU, SSD).
    You'll regret spending even a $100 later on a useless GPU.

7. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Classified
    I have a q9650 running at 4Ghz. At that speed it runs rather well with my old GTX 970.

I wouldn't want to run anything more powerful that that though.
    It depends on the game of course but most will be CPU limited. A big exception to that would be DOOM running on Vulkan where the CPU is more than enough to completely saturate the GTX970.

When you do upgrade the q9650, go for at least an i7.
    I upgraded to an i5 4690k and was rather disappointed. It's not as much of a jump up in performance as people say it is.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    You have about a 50% improvement in IPC going from a later-gen Core 2 Quad to Nehalem, then a further 30% improvement in IPC going from Nehalem to Sandy Bridge, then about 5-10% going from Sandy Bridge to Haswell. Then you have higher clockspeeds.

Your upgrade was ~2.4x in terms of raw horsepower. i7 would give you HyperThreading which isn't used extensively by many games (if at all - it's just beginning to change a bit now). How was it a disappointing upgrade?

9. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Classified
    No... just no.

10. darkbluesky

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX580
    Tx to everybody. I see, on one hand I don't fell like spending 200 on a used card (unknown use), maybe I would prefer a new one. If so, then I am stuck with a 1050ti.

But then I was thinking on what has been commented here; what if I make a two-phase upgrade instead of waiting for whole upgrade later? I mean, maybe I could get now a good gpu, and keep it in the new rig I'd get later.

If so, I was looking to an Asus gtx1060 strix (the max oced). It is 372 euros in amazon.es. Or maybe the non-strix ( and not-oced) 1070 (but it is quite more expensive).

What do you think about it?

Btw, yes I have my q9650 usually at 4 ghz stable, but ram is stuck at 1066 or so. I guess this will bottleneck a 1060...(or not?). And yes, I foresaw to buy an i7 when the time arrives.

Still deciding which way to go...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017

11. darkbluesky

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX580
    I succeed to have an 'external' collaboration of 100 euros, so this can help a little.

Ok then regarding the 1060, no more of 300€, seems reasonable to me comparing models and generations. So then I was considering another time a used one. Really the 970 is tempting but I have seen that I may have the chance to get a GTX980 Ti OC -used & good shape- for 300€ (which would mean to spend myself 200€, which was my top budget, initally at least).

For what I saw it seems that the 980Ti is like a GTX1070 in real world tests, maybe a little slower, and it seems I can't find a 1070 for 300€ or so (which I would prefer if possible, of course, specially for VR improvements...). I am not sure though, about what (features?, performance?) I would lose for getting a GTX980Ti vs a GTX1070 aside of that.

Do you think it is worth the 980Ti or perhaps do you see another and more interesting combination, or maybe the 980Ti had problems, or whatever?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  12. darkbluesky

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX580
    I was thinking that I can obtain some help by selling my Asus GTX580, after all I see that in eBay some people still buy them for 70-80 euros.

I think that maybe spending the minimum possible is the best option as it will be low enough to not to be worried if I update soon the pc and want to change the GPU to a better one, and not expensive enough as to feel the hurry to upgrade the pc soon, otherwise I would be losing the GPU potential during the time I'd still stay with the old CPU, etc.

So I was looking another time to the 1050Ti, 1060 and 980Ti:

1- It seems that the 1050Ti is very nice in price (<200) but not too fast.
    2- 1060 3G is quite better but we are talking about 224 (Asus Dual 1060 3G) or 324 € (Asus Strix 1060 6G but not the one with max OCs, the one that comes with max Ocs is at 372€)
    3- The 980Ti seems to be the fastest of these three, close to the 1070, but is previous generation.

Considering that I can have 'savings' of 170-180 €, I have:

- 1050Ti almost free
    - 1060 6Gb strix for 324-170=~ 150 €
    - 980Ti for 300-170=~ 150 €

The 980Ti would be second hand, and without guarantee (or maybe in guarantee if by chance I find someone selling it still under guarantee). It will be previous generation. How do value the fact to have a flagship card from a previous generation vs a middle card from current?

Which option seems better to you? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    980ti out of those 3 unless you plan on getting something like a 1080~ later.
    If so just get 1050ti, you'll lose more money on reselling a new card.

14. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Classified
    I've had similar upgrade plans in the past and something always gets in the way.
    It's best just to save up until you have enough to buy a whole new system.

Don't be worried about buying second hand. Just be smart and buy from reputable sellers.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  15. darkbluesky

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX580
    Hi,

Finally I got a second hand Asus Strixx 1060 6G for 250 euros with almost all the two-years guarantee. Here it was impossible to get a new one for less than 360 €.

Of course I am not 100% sure I had chosen the best option, but I think it is a balance that please me: it is fast enough for what I do/play (looking to opinions, videos, etc around), it is current generation (it gives me a little peace of mind -compatibilty wise-, although I know soon will become older generation, of course), and is from a brand I feel more or less comfortable with.

Would have been a second hand 980Ti, faster? sure, but still, more expensive, another brand, maybe more used, a good option too, sure, but overall I think the choice I did is a good one for me (at least I hope so!).

Thank you everybody for your help. I hope all is fine when it arrives!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017