GPU shipments up in Q2'19 reports - AMD On the Ryze

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 29, 2019.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Steam statistics are not an accurate measure of market share. Steam counts every GPU in use. If Intel's iGPU is disabled due to a dedicated card being installed, it doesn't get counted.

Market share, as reported by JPR and other firms, is determined solely by quarterly sales. It's actually the share of quarterly sales for the market.

It doesn't matter if they're in use or not. They're still counted as a GPU sale. No marketing firm has access to accurate consumer product usage information. These firms only report "quarterly sales market share". They don't report consumer product usage nor do they report accurate product ownership figures.

2. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Nonsense. I know how much you love Jon Peddie, so he says otherwise... and by A LOT.

Personally, i think his numbers are exaggerating AMD's sales on discrete graphics cards because if what you say is true, why isn't it reflected in the steam hardware survey? A market shift of that size would definitely be clear to see.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

3. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    If you look deeper into the steam data, specifically the gains and loss percentages for individual cards, you can see who is selling what cards and who isn't. And they dont count every GPU. It's a survey of about 10 million randomly picked computers.

Chip sales not fromi AMD or nVidia, but from participating add in board 'partners'.

Correct. The only source of data for that would be Steam. Obviously its not complete. But at least its one heck of a huge sample size every month.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, yes, they surely count into sales. But I meant actual value for person that paid for iGPU. And then ends up not using it.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I really don't care what it is you are arguing for, other then what i quoted. You really gotta get off the idea that the steam hardware survey means anything.

People have shown the reason why steam hardware survey means nothing countless of times, if you continue to ignore this, you are knowingly taking irrelevant data and providing them as though they mean anything.

Unless you truly think, according to steam hardware survey, that windows 7 32 bit (not 64 bit) is on the rise, less then 2GB, 2GB and 3GB of ram is on the rise, below 1.4Ghz processors are on the rise, single and dual-core CPUs are on the rise, 512mb of dedicated GPU memory is on the rise, 1024x768 as well as 1280x800 resolutions are on the rise, among so many other nonsense information.

Steam does NOT provide even remotely accurate information, it does not tell the hardware of brand new PCs, as they rarely get asked to do a steam hardware survey. Stop quoting, regardless of whatever you are trying to prove, irrelevant data.

Fox2232 likes this.
  6. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Too many sadly. I mean i know a thing or two about computers and Intel got me once when i bought a laptop with an intel igpu and no dgpu. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice ...