GPU Monitor Gadget 2.0 Released

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by stangowner, Apr 6, 2009.

1. stangowner

stangowner Master Guru

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    You may want to first try disabling any anti-virus and anti-malware programs (were these updated/installed recently)? Although launching a local .exe file using javascript from a sidebar gadget is perfectly normal, some av/am programs may consider it a risk potential and may be blocking it. If disabling them works, then find out which is doing it and add an exception.

2. gugabf

gugabf New Member

GPU:
    POV Geforce GTX 580 1.5GB
    Thanks for reply.

I've already tested that.
    The same problem occurs with antivirus, firewall and all program like those disabled.

Can be a problem with my WMI service?

How can i test?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. stangowner

stangowner Master Guru

GPU:
    Can you do this?

1 - Create a new text file called "launch-notepad.vbs" and put the following in it. Save the file and then double-click it to run it.
    Code:
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Error = WshShell.Run("notepad.exe")
    If Error <> 0 Then
        Wscript.Echo "Notepad could not be started due to error " & Error & "."
    End If

2 - Do the same thing but call this one "launch-notepad-wmi.vbs".
    Code:
    strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
        & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer _
        & "\root\cimv2:Win32_Process")

Error = objWMIService.Create("notepad.exe", null, null, intProcessID)
    If Error <> 0 Then
        Wscript.Echo "Notepad could not be started due to error " & Error & "."
    End If  

Do both of those launch notepad? If so, edit them and change "notepad.exe" to be the full path and filename to GPUMonitor.exe and then rerun them. Do they start the process? You can just kill the process in between tests using the task manager.

Also, you can edit line 23 of this file "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\GPUMonitor.gadget\scripts\gadget.js" to change "debug=false;" to "debug=true;". Then open the gadget. This will create a debug log in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GPUMonitor". Please email it to me using the address in the gadget.

Thanks,
    Nick

4. Zoca88

Zoca88 New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8800
    I have a problem with Gpu Monitor 2.3. I downloaded rar file and extracted it to new folder, but when I double click GPUMonitor.exe nothing happens...I can see it in processes but I can't get it to work. I have RivaTuner 2.24 MSI edition and it's configured to start with Win...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

5. stangowner

stangowner Master Guru

GPU:
    Not sure what .rar file you are talking about. The download is a .gadget file and you do not need to run GPUMonitor.exe manually.

You can download the gadget here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Rivatuner-GPU-Monitor-Vista-Sidebar-Gadget-2.3-download-2521.html

And there are some instructions here under "Hardware Monitor -> Sidebar Gadget": http://rivatuner.doomdealer.com/

6. Zoca88

Zoca88 New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8800
    hmm sorry it's not rar it's a zip file when I click download. Should I rename extension to be gadget file?

Edit : I did it...when I clicked download it saved file as .zip so I thought I should manually install it...just a quick rename to .gadget and works! Thanks

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  7. stangowner

stangowner Master Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, renaming it would work. A .gadget file is just a compressed folder that kicks off the gadget installer. Guess your browser does not recognize .gadget files.

Thanks for letting me know you made out OK.

8. PaeZ

PaeZ New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6870 OC 1G
    Hello im jsut buy a new card a Radeon 6870 OC and im trying to configure again for use with the GPU Monitor, but the Rivatuner dont show me the low level hardware monitor [​IMG]

I install the last drivers from Ati, some one can help me?

Thanks

9. stangowner

stangowner Master Guru

GPU:
    Please try using MSI Afterburner and this.

10. stangowner

stangowner Master Guru

GPU:
    A user asked me for filled graphs, instead of just the outline. I figured I'd post it here in case anyone else wants it.

By default, the gadget displays graphs like this:

[​IMG]

This change will make them look like this:

[​IMG]

Instructions:

1. close the gadget(s)
    2. right click this file and select "Save Target as..." or "Save Link as..."
    3. save it to "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\GPUMonitor2.3\scripts", overwriting the one in that location
    4. reopen the gadget(s)
    ** This only applies to version 2.3 of the gadget.

- Nick

11. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Can't get this to work even with the fix above, and yeah, RivaTuner options are gone with my new drivers.

12. stangowner

stangowner Master Guru

GPU:
    Its not a "fix". It just changes the display of the graphs.

Try MSI Afterburner and this

13. stangowner

stangowner Master Guru

GPU:
    HWiNFOMonitor 1.0

Hi Guys,

GPU Monitor has a brother now. If you're using HWiNFO32/64, you can use this gadget to display its sensor information. It has all the same features and functionality of GPU Monitor, it just uses HWiNFO as a data source instead of RivaTuner. HWiNFO reports a ton of data about nearly all your hardware, so expect to get 100 or so readings fed into the gadget. You can download it from here:
    http://www.hwinfo.com/addons.html

This is independent of RivaTuner and GPU Monitor, so it is possible to run them both side by side for the ultimate heads up display.

- Nick

14. Vomit

Vomit Member Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 7970 Vapour-X
    Thank You

It looks just as does with Riva Tuner :)

You have done an outstanding job young man :)

15. Brama

Brama Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX Titan@1240
    Hi,
    I have similar issue of gugabf.
    When I launch the gadget, it appears but is frozen and gpumonitor.exe is not launched.
    If I launch manually gpumonitor.exe from its folder, everything is working perfectly.

I noted from the debug.log that launching gpumonitor.exe encounters error 8.

Here the log:

Thu Jul 05 09:51:11 2012 - creating debug log: Gadget version: 2.3
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.617617 - prefIndex not found - attempting to load previous preferences
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.617617 - prefWindow_0.json exists - exiting loadPreviousPrefs
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.660660 - Checking for existing GPUMonitor.exe processes - 0 found.
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.682682 - Launch GPUMonitor.exe processes return code - 8
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.682682 - Querying WMI for display adapter information
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.711711 - Reading window settings: C:\Users\Maurizio Brameri\AppData\Local\GPUMonitor\prefWindow_0.json
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.711711 - Setting title
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.713713 - Reading monitor settings: C:\Users\Maurizio Brameri\AppData\Local\GPUMonitor\prefMonitors_0.json
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.715715 - Setting initial gadget height
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.715715 - Drawing Monitor: 0 - GPU temperature
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.717717 - Drawing Monitor: 1 - GPU usage
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.719719 - Drawing Monitor: 2 - Fan speed
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.719719 - Drawing Monitor: 3 - Core clock
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.720720 - Drawing Monitor: 4 - Memory clock
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.720720 - Drawing Monitor: 5 - Memory usage
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.733733 - Setting initial gadget height
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.733733 - Drawing Monitor: 0 - GPU temperature
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.734734 - Drawing Monitor: 1 - GPU usage
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.735735 - Drawing Monitor: 2 - Fan speed
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.735735 - Drawing Monitor: 3 - Core clock
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.736736 - Drawing Monitor: 4 - Memory clock
    7/5/2012 9:51:11.736736 - Drawing Monitor: 5 - Memory usage

I checked properties of gpumonitor.exe and seem correct: the user logged in has full control and it is the owner of the file.

I tried the .vbs code that you wrote in a past message and they are not able to launch gpumonitor.exe.

The first vbs script opens an error window that say "no application associated with the specified file". error number 80070483.

If I cut&paste the launch string of gpumonitor.exe that is in vbs script and put in the "run" command of start button, gpumonitor.exe is launched properly.

Can someone help me?
    Thanks.

16. Brama

Brama Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX Titan@1240
    I tried the gadget with HWiNFO 64 but it still say that hwinfo hardware data are not found.
    Naturelly hwinfo is started and sensors are detected and values correctly displayed.

The gadget that is coming with hwinfo is working properly.

17. Vomit

Vomit Member Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 7970 Vapour-X
    Have you read and followed the instructions tab found in the settings for the gadget, if you have and your still getting no readings then make sure you have enabled sidebar support in hwinfos sensor configuration settings, these are per item settings and can be enabled and disabled to your liking.

18. Brama

Brama Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX Titan@1240
    Thanks for suggestions. Naturally I followed the instructions and enabled sidebar support.

19. Mumak

Mumak Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega
    Sidebar support in HWiNFO is not required to use this Gadget.
    Do you have the latest HWiNFO version installed (4.0) and Shared Memory Support enabled ?

20. stangowner

stangowner Master Guru

GPU:
    Hi Brama,

If you are getting an error 8 with the GPU Monitor gadget being frozen because it can not load GPUMonitor.exe, then you are going to have the same issue with HWiNFOMonitor.exe. Because it has never run at all, the data will report missing. Once it runs at least once, the gadget will report data, but it will not update.

Something is preventing your scripting engine from launching those files. You need to figure out that problem, or use the manual workaround mentioned earlier in the thread (launch HWiNFOMonitor.exe manually whenever you run the gadget, or if the gadget is always running, just add a shortcut to your startup folder). It is located in the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\HWiNFOMonitor.gadget" folder

- Nick