GPU Fan Speed dropping to Zero causing Periodic Revving-Up Effect

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Amine Marref, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Amine Marref

Amine Marref New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 750
    Hello,

I have this problem with my GeForce GTX-750: the fan makes a loud noise every now and then even when the computer is not doing any graphics-intensive processing. This behaviour can be witnessed with and without AfterBurner installed with a custom fan-speed curve.

The attached screenshots GPU-1 and GPU-2 show my (relevant) AfterBurner configuration. The fan should never drop its speed below 50% at any given temperature.

The attached screenshot GPU-3 shows GPU-Z monitoring tab. As can be seen, the fan speed (%) value is 50% so it seems that AfterBurner is doing its work nicely, but the fan speed (rpm) value drops to zero every now and then, and then goes up to max causing the loud fan noise. The dropping in the RPM value is not mirrored in the % value of the fan speed value in GPU-Z.

Running AfterBurner with or without admin rights makes no difference. I also tried three different versions of the GPU driver but nothing worked.

This problem started around autumn 2019, and for more than a year, AfterBurner was perfect to solve this problem; but since about a month; it seems that using AfterBurner is not enough anymore to tame the loud noise.

I also cleaned the GPU as thoroughly as I judged since I thought maybe temperature sensing is inhibited by dust/gunk.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
    A.

Attached Files:

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Blow another slow/silent fan toward the GPU.
    This will keep it cool enough at idle that the fan doesnt power up.

I'm doing the same thing with my 3090 gfx card.
    Not because its noisy (I cant hear it at all) but to reduce wear on the cards fans which would be, by far, the most difficult and expensive to repair.
    And also reduce dust ingress to the cooling fins.
    Works a treat.

3. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    I have done that with all my cards since i owned the beast that was ati 4870x2 lol

I just have a fan attached into the case that blows across the gpu

For my RX 5700 it also helps with keeping gaming temps in check

4. Amine Marref

Amine Marref New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 750
    Thank you @Mufflore and @Passus for the advice. I will await some more "software" answers before installing an auxiliary gently-blowing fan.

Passus likes this.