GPU fan size

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Oberom, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Oberom

Oberom Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 ti G1 Gaming
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently having issue with one of the fan of my 980ti g1 (Gigabyte): it's making a lot of noise and seems to wobble (it's not staying perfectly perpendicular to its rotation axis). Hence I'm looking to buy a replacement fan.
    From my google searches, reference for these fans is T128010SU. However, for this reference, I can see two different diameters: 75mm and 78mm. How is this possible? Which one should I take?

Thank you!

2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    you could measure it? aliexpress has a fair few replacements.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  4. Oberom

Oberom Member

GPU:
    I measured it (not a bad idea :D) and they are 78mm fans. Though I've looked more thoroughly at the card and it seems I can't change a fan without removing the heatsink. How hard is it for someone whose sole experience is building one PC to dismantle the card and reassemble it?
    On a side note, can I use what's remaining of the CPU thermal paste on the GPU?

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    First, dismantling a cooler is usually not that difficult. It comes down to something between a dozen and two dozens of screws, which are easy to take off though. It proved helpful to look for a custom watercooling block for your graphics card, since their manuals (at least in EKWB's) case, usually show how to take it off easily, and you can print that manual out as well to have it at hand. Or, alternatively, you could search for a video that shows your graphics card's cooler taken off on the net (yt for instance).

Second, yes technically you can replace the paste with the same on the CPU, only that you should be careful, paste gets worse over time, and if you had it open it could dry out. But in general, yes you could use the same. Depending on the paste, be careful about it being conductive, if so (I don't expect your's to be though).

6. Oberom

Oberom Member

GPU:
    I found an EKWB guide, thank you.
    Not sure I understand the end of your second point (about the paste behind conductive). Isn't thermal paste supposed to be heat conductive?

Edit: I guess you meant electrically conductive. In that case I don't know. It's the paste that came with my beQuiet Shadow Rock Slim.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019