1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPU disappeared suddenly from device manager (Laptop)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xXFlipXx, Feb 22, 2019.

1. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    Hi,
    the problem started a few months ago. Recently i had to erase everything in the hardisk, including the Toshiba Recovery partition (it wasn't working anyway) and installed Windows 10 Pro.

Now the laptop only uses the Intel HD 4600 graphics card. The device manager shows randomly the AMD gpu ("show hidden devices" enabled) and, when it does, it is disabled by Windows because, according to the OS, it is "causing problems".

The weirdest thing is, also recently, when i start Windows, sometimes the network adapter gets disabled (obviously loosing my internet connection) and when this happens the AMD gpu gets enabled It's as if there is some kind of a conflict between these two components...

I already tried clean installations of the most recent graphics card drivers for the Intel and the AMD, also the original manufacturer ones after a clean Windows 10 installation. Also tried 7 and 8 Windows.
    Also i've tried to update bios but it has the latest version. The bios is the UEFI version, so don't have switchable graphics option...

Am i missing something? I've seen hundreds of people with similar problem reporting and none of them gave a final solution for this.

The technicians says that may the graphic card fried or malfunction and need to be replaced...i won't fall for that because i've seen people having the same problem and the laptop was recently new. So i believe it's something else. When i choose "show hidden devices" it's there but in ''ghost'' mode...

Thank you in advance for any help. I'm starting to have a headache trying to figure this out a long time and no success...

SATELLITE P70-B-102
    Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ
    AMD Radeon™ R9 M265X

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    What text is written in GPU property dialog (in Device Manager)? Usually the error code and some text.

PS It can be that some pins of the videochip have bad contact. In such case device is considered as not present.

3. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Is in portuguese language but basically says that the hardware device is not connected to the computer...when i did nothing inside of my laptop...This bug is so weird because along years there's lot of people had or having this problem and none of have a exact solution.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    I may suggest create a live Linux USB and boot from it.
    You can see if the graphic card works simply by using the magic word in the terminal
    Code:
    lspci

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Most probably device is not powered or its pins are detached.

6. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    [​IMG]
    Ok, seems that gpu isn't there also... so are you serious by saying the device is not powered or its pins are detached?

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    What the...
    Sorry guru, this is a serious hardware malfunction, or in the best case some weird BIOS option disabling the dedicated GPU. Call RMA ASAP!

8. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    Sorry my ignorance but what's RMA ASAP?

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
  10. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    The warranty period is way over so, taking to a repair is quite risky because it may happen again the malfunction latter and it´s not cheap... Thought i could save this...
    Oh well, i'll use it only onboard graphic with a dead dedicated graphic inside...
    Another particular detail, other day i've switched the supply battery from other toshiba that i have and for few minutes the gpu came up...then disappeared again...weird. Both have the same volts...

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    The case of detaching pins is the easiest to repair if you have places with experienced servicemen.

That`s why I will never get laptop for home usage. Been there, done that. (And especially - laptops with iGPU+dGPU.)

12. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    If you don't mind, can you explain more in detail the meaning/about detaching pins? With some example maybe, i'm not quite virgin opening laptops...i may try adventure to repair it...

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It can be that the pins of videocard chip can have a bad/unstable contact with the motherboard. Such pins can be soldered back.

PS Experienced people can even replace the chip.

14. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    Soldering...:( is not my specialty...
    Thanks for trying to help. Tomorrow i'll open it for the first time and see what could be done...

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Try to search for the service manual for your model. Opening and getting access to the motherboard can be tricky on modern laptops.

PS Also search for the descriptions with pictures or videos of ZIF - Zero Insertion Force - connectors. There are several of these in laptops, and when I met one for the first time I broke it (not knowing how to deal with).

16. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    Ok, I'll come back after this weekend to give news about this. Once again thanks.

17. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    I'll follow this for start

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Good luck (and read "PS" about ZIF in post above).

19. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    I read thanks :)

20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    The GPU is a BGA package, not an MXM; improper contact of pins/socket is common for MXM GPUs, but it is a BGA.
    So the strange disappearing could be some things:
    I assume that the BGA chip has damage to the substrate level, could be solved temporarily by reflowing, but it is a workaround, not the solution;
    Maybe, just maybe, some SMD component doesn't generate the proper signal/voltage line and the GPU is not properly initialized; instead, the GPU workload is transferred to the iGPU.
    Solving this problem is a matter of finding the tech guy/gal who can read schematics, and able to identify the voltage lines and do some SMD soldering job.

Caesar likes this.