GPU Crashing - Partial black flickering before it happens

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by nevernamed, Oct 11, 2019.

1. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    Saffire R9290x VaporX 8gb
    yep. not a bios issue. i did flash a bad bios to one side, the UEFI bios is a replacement they sent me a couple years ago.. i THINK i have resolved this.. it seems pulling it out and reseating it after blowing out the pci slot has sorted out my issues. i have played 18-20 rounds of pubg successfully for the first time in over 2 months.. i usually couldn't do 2..
    '

Caesar likes this.
  2. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    I don't want to speak too soon, but I think i might have fixed my issues... I wish I had tried this 2 months ago instead of everything BUT this.

3. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    spoke too soon. issues came back a week later.. I really don't get this. how it can be perfect for long gaming sessions for a week, then on a saturday night when my friends come over, it acts up again

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    The 290X I had needed to be RMA'd even though AMD resolved a black screen crash issue, think that as I recall it's a theorized VRAM problem mainly found with Elpida memory modules. (The other one was Hynix I think?) Though I never found a confirmation on what exactly caused this but the drivers never fully resolved it so partial hardware error though it should have been the stock versions and not the custom designs that came later and also likely had improvements such as newer bios versions and gradual improvements to the chips and binning for the GPU and memory modules.

Card was sent back got the money returned picked up a custom design and it worked just fine although in my case the issue happened immediately and the product was relatively new though a few searches online showed others had problems with it black screen crashing as well suggested as being caused by the memory though no specifics as to what or why but AMD did later on release a driver improving the problem but some users had to do RMA's or switched to NVIDIA or a different AMD GPU like the 280X revision of the 7970Ghz and then the 390X released later improved the design overall and I think it's been a non-issue for these unless later drivers introduced software issues.

EDIT: Ah there's been at least some other topics on the subject for these forums too.
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/290x-elpida-memory.406777/

Though I don't think the issue was ever fully clarified as to what or why this problem happened in the first place.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    1. When you plugged in the PCIe connectors are you using 1 pcie cable or 2 pcie cables?
    2. Are you using a power strip to plug up your PC? If so, have you tried just plugging it into the wall outlet directly?
    3. What is your PC specs? And, what kind of PSU are you using?

6. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Active Member

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    Do you have a Samsung monitor?