GPU Artifacting Need Help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by quickkill2021, Dec 2, 2013.

1. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    Hey guys how you doing. I been on the forums for a while. I normally don't like asking for help but now i have no choice. I honestly need help.

I am getting strange artifacts in games. This happens in borderlands 2, batman aa, or any game i play.

I am running a Ares 2 plus a 280x sapphire toxic and a gtx 660 as a physx ppu.

3930k 4.6 ghz, rampage formula IV 16 gb of ddr 2400 ram

So naturally i thought this is a graphics card problem. However both these graphics cards have survived 7 minutes of occt gpu test.

i have the ares 2 slighly overclocked to 1150 50 mhz above the default 1100.

the toxic is already at 1150, so i am not overclocking it. Also it has passed 7 minutes of occt gpu test. the memory on that card is slightly overclocked by 50mhz so its 1650. instead of the default 1600.

I am thinking that maybe its that i am not running a good enough PSU for my system. when i run foldinghome cossair link says i am using 1100 watts. Also when i go on tomb raider benchmark it shows i am also at my limit 1100 watts.

But then again when i play borderlands my power is at 600-800 watts, so i don't get why i am artifacting???

I have ram memset to 500 passes using 12 instances.
    I have ran 25 passes of linx avx burn test
    i have ran 8 hours of prime95 large fft
    i have ran 8.5 hours of occt avx

So as you can see i am very confused and extremely frustrated.

I even changed crossfire bridges and still it doesn't work.

Here is a video and some screen shots.

Here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zP0RCiQCgg

Here is a screen Shot.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=200079681

Could this be a psu problem. What is this? I can be playing for lets a few hours. then i get these artifacts. Then i can alt tab, and they go away for a bit, then they come back. Its very annoying.

2. quickkill2021

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    I am running a ax 1200i. not sure if i stated that

3. Kino87

Kino87 New Member

GPU:
    AMD 8970m 4gb
    That kind of arctifact is usually a sign of memory corruption.
    Try downclocking gpus and rams to stock values (not the factory overclocked ones, the stock R9 280x frequencies) and see if it keeps arctifacting.

If not try to raise your frequencies up to your actual values at little steps (~20mhz) starting with the gpu and then with the rams.

The PSU should be ok.

edit: By the way occt doesn't mean anything... As strange as it may sound I've always found that my gpus were extremely stable with stress tests, ironically the least stable game I found was league of legends with FPS capped at 60 followed by borderlands 2, both pretty weak games.
    Every application stesses the cards in different ways, usually stress tests like occt or furmark won't stress VRAM at all and will stress some parts of the GPU way more than any normal game does.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  4. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Does this only happen in directx 9 games or in all games? Does the driver version have an effect?

5. Anvi

Anvi Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390 8GB
    Well I can say for sure that it's not your PSU. Insufficient power would result in a sudden PSU shutdown or restart.

Here's few things that could be causing your artifacts
    - Overclock
    - MultiGPU config
    - Drivers
    - Faulty GPU/MEM

I wouldn't have the balls to mix in a nVidia card with my crossfire. CFX is causing enough problems just by itself :)

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What drivers?

7. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    if this happens in any game i say rma the thing.

8. sent3D

sent3D Member

GPU:
    MSI HD7850 1GB 1150/1300
    Does this also happens when you use only one card? Try to restore everything to stock frequencies and test only one GPU at a time with the games you play, also if you haven't already use DDU (in safe mode) and install latest drivers.

9. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    well this was a very widespread bug last year across multiple generations but mostly 7 series, & it was dx9 related

given that you've hacked up physx, i kinda want to see it fully disabled & the 660 removed

& of course tell us the driver version, temperatures, when it first started happening

10. gumbie

gumbie New Member

GPU:
    R9 280x
    I get this a lot too.

It´s worse in dx9 games and worse in windowed mode.

Alt-Tabbing in fullscreen can cause it to appear when it wasn´t there or go away if it was.

Asus DCT2 R9 280x

11. quickkill2021

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    Thank you guys so much for all your advice!!!! i am surprised anyone even responded to this thread.

Before i get into what the update is. I need someone to quickly check something for me.

I believe i have more issues than i had originally thought.

Could someone who has steam and a crossfire or sli system. Open up big picture mode. Then try to browse the web browser.

For my system, i always freeze. I freeze or i bsod. i get steambootrapper has stopped working. This only happeneds when i enable crossfire. It doesn't make any sense.

It does matter on the game. Can someone please confirm if its happening to them.

If it is a issue with my system. could it be the power supply? to me i feel thats impossible because this happens even when i play mortal kombat.

Could it be the motherboard?

12. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    So what's the driver the BSoD point out?

13. gumbie

gumbie New Member

GPU:
    R9 280x
    I was beginning to think I might of had a hardware problem but removing Asus GPU Tweak has greatly reduced the number of issues I am having.

14. quickkill2021

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    I am running the latest drivers 9.5s and the latest motherboard bios.

15. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Banned

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    when you install a driver always use window installer (the way I see it)
    1)download the latest official driver
    2)go in device manager
    3)find the device you want to update
    4)go in there and update your device(you do remember where your file was downloaded right)
    5)restart

why do it this way?and not the amd way in this case?
    because as good as the driver maker are they can rarely keep up with ms ! by etting ms instal it , 90% of the time it will make everything work better ! why I leave 10% out ! because there is always 10% of stuff that is outside ms control !