GPU accelerated and enhanced x.264 MKV movie playback [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 11, 2009.

1. johnnyxp64nd

johnnyxp64nd Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 TOXIC 512mb
    @Zicmu make sure you remove the old drivers from control panel addremove programs, delete the c:\ATI\vga driver directory first, and then restart after the restart install the 8.12, and try out, actually you that have VISTA as the article said you must use video output EVR custom Pref. the rest setting as is in my pictures

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    New version of klite turns everything on for you automatically.

http://filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack

3. csendesmark

csendesmark New Member

GPU:
    ATI
    I have the same problem!
    I hope the next driver will slove this issue :)

XP 32bit | Catalyst 9.1 | 4870-512MB

4. sergeywin1

sergeywin1 New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870 512MB
    Hey johnnyxp64nd thanks for checking other ati drivers. It seems I am getting the same results. Catalyst 9.1 for XP 32bit would cause all above mentioned problems. The only solution I found under 9.1 drivers was to use cyberlink decoder, but after downgrading to catalyst 8.12 that is no longer necessary though no difference in quality or frames were seen. MCP-HC works seemlessly in Windows Xp SP2 under 8.12 driver using its own h.264 decoder.
    Here are some shots of DVXA checker first under 9.12 driver and then under 8.12.
    1/3 of capabilities are missing with 9.12

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So for those having problems getting DXVA under windows xp i would suggest downgrading to catalyst 8.12.

5. GaS

GaS New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 9800GX2
    Hello!

I did not read all the posts, but I did the article. You guys didn't mention subtitles. Because it is impossible to show subtitles using 780G chipset acceleration. Anyone on this? I am using WMR 7 or 9 renderless.

6. killmess

killmess Member

GPU:
    Zogis 8600gt 256mb
    Solution

I had the same problem, and I know that what I'm gonna tell you will seem stup1d, but it worked for me. Download and install the last version of DirectX.
    Enjoy. :)

7. killmess

killmess Member

GPU:
    Zogis 8600gt 256mb
    Pwned! MPEG1 DXVA

MPEG1 DXVA mode_MPEG-2_A

[​IMG]

MPEG1 DXVA mode_MPEG-2_IDCT (the video is mpeg1 and is decoded with the mpeg2 decoder)

[​IMG]

HOWTO:

1. FORCE MICROSOFT MPEG-2 VIDEO DECODER:

[​IMG]

2. CHOOSE THE OUTPUT:
    A. "VMR9" for "MPEG-2_A" or
    B. "EVR" for "MPEG-2 IDCT"

DONE!

Now I'm wondering what's the difference in quality between "mpeg-2 a" and "mpeg-2 idct". I can't see any difference at all. :(:biggun::bang:

8. Garak

Garak Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 280 GTX OC
    Cool I didn't really know about the image quality on coreAVC.

But regarding the filter.. and I hate to argue with you as I love your site.. But I re-read your guide carefully and I see it is missing 1 crucial step for this to work. You need to enable the internal h264 codec under transform filters - H264/AVC (DXVA). This gets MPC to use that instead of ffdshow or whatever external filter you might have installed.
    I think on your system that was on by default so thats why you didn't mention it, but on my install (XP32) it was off so thats why it didn't work for me - and likely others.

This screen shot:
    http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=16378
    you show to turn on the matroska filter, and turn off ac3/dts. Add a highlight to the DXVA ones and that should clear this up :)

As you need both for it to work:
    Matroska filter splits decodes the mkv containers so they can be read and the H264/AVC (DXVA) codec does the work.

btw thanks to ppl in this thread for helping me figure that out.

9. Zicmu

Zicmu Active Member

GPU:
    ATi 5850
    hey thx for the help, but after i read from the article over here

http://nunnally.ahmygoddess.net/watching-h264-videos-using-dxva/

it mentions that 780G users have to use phenom processor in order to get it work.

Well im not sure where did that guy found it, but i've tried many ways but it still doesn't work.

and more over, if i wanna play 1080p using my processor it is lagging (losing frames pretty bad). But when i play it on my friend's PC (2Ghz opteron) it works just fine. I am not sure why this is happening..

10. Namsu2403

Namsu2403 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4870

11. lag0a

lag0a Member

What happens if in external filters I block vobsub, vobsub(autoloading), divx decoder filter, avi decompressor, mpeg layer-3 decoder, acm wrapper, avi splitter, haali media splitter, and haali media splitter (ar) so then I get some things that are low merit? I can still play video files even after blocking all those filters. What does a low merit filter mean? I'm trying to clear these useless filter junk by comparing its usage with picture quality I play with some video files, but then it stops at these low merit filters I can't see in the list of all external filters.

12. playTV

playTV New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GT 512MB
    Hi frnds....I'm facing a constant stuttering/lag/blur (or watever its called) problem while playing 1080p mkv file using this procedure. IQ is a lot better over my VLC player's IQ. I hav a C2D 6750 @ 3.2ghz and a geforce 8800gt running forceware 181.20 & winXP SP3...and during playing my CPU usage varies between 2-5%.
    Can any1 plz help me get rid of this stuttering?

TIA

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Now I know why all my MKV movies look so pixelated on PowerDVD

14. stewox

stewox Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 4870
    That's great that you found the problem and the settings with 8.12 drivers; but I won't bash ATI drivers just cause of that ... it does happen ... like it happened now ... the 9.1 are just broken ... there are numerous other issues i have seen that were fixed in 8.12 an older and now came back...

You should rather submit to the catalyst crew feedback ... and don't bash right away...

As i used it many times , now I already sent my issues and the issue with broken DXVA with the link to this thread so ... don't worry it will get fixed. ... They might even put some extra code for whole this to function better ... if they're in the good mood ... :p

15. moximus

moximus New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800gt
    Im not sure if people here know but you can get GPU acceleration in VMC for MKV files.

1. download this http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mpc-hc/mpchc_x86_v1.1.604.0_MPCVideoDec.zip

2. Extract MPCVideoDec.ax & put it in to c:\Windows\System32\. Open a command prompt & navigate to c:\Windows\System32\ & run: regsvr32 MPCVideoDec.ax. Make sure you use admin rights.

Make sure you disable core avc or ffdshow for x.264 and mpeg4. You may need to register filter with a program like Radlite.

16. wiak

wiak Member

GPU:
    RX 480 Gaming X
    '
    full guide here and yes its over a month old to :banana:
    http://nwgat.wordpress.com/2009/01/...sta-media-center-and-windows-media-player-11/

btw its x264 not x.264
    and ati/nvidia have never supported mkv (matroska) why? its not their job, its microsofts job to add support to windows, i know microsoft has added h264 support to windows 7

Matroska (mkv) is much like AVI, but WAY more advanced and its 100% free and open standard/Sauce unlike AVI ;P

x264 is just an Open Sauce H.264/AVC Encoder, so any H.264/AVC Decoder will work with it

AMD 790 FX | Phenom 9950 | 2 GB | integrated GPU - Accelerates well, stutters when enabling Shaders <-- well isnt that 790GX not FX :)

TotalMedia Theatre has Native Matroska (.mkv) Support to!
    http://www.arcsoft.com/public/software_title.asp?ProductID=3&dyContent=LANG_DETAIL&=#submenu
    (dosnt say in product page but the software installs its own arcsoft matroska splitter)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  17. wiak

wiak Member

GPU:
    RX 480 Gaming X
    use mpc-hc
    powerdvd has stupid mkv support hehe aka non-exist support but uses external dshow filters ;)

18. johnnyxp64nd

johnnyxp64nd Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 TOXIC 512mb
    well i reported the broken dxva in ati and flame them at the same time dont worry ;-)

its a serious issue and should have been tested before released!

now i managed the impossible, capture the damn vm9 hsynch problem that cant be fixed with the 'lockbuffer' option and i want vm9renderless cause i need p.s sharpening.

has anyone found a permanet solution on that compination??:wanker:
    [​IMG]

19. shady86

shady86 Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 260 Sonic
    This guide works for my mkv movies but I have subtitles inside the mkv and the subtitles will not be displayed if I use Hardware.

20. csendesmark

csendesmark New Member

GPU:
    ATI
    Catalyst 9.2 on XP is working?

edit:
    Negative here :(

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009