GPU accelerated and enhanced x.264 MKV movie playback [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    anyone have an answer to this?

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Here:
    [​IMG]

3. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Well there you go then... "MPC Video Decoder" ... says it right there. Click it to find out if it's using dvxa.

If it's VC-1 and encoded properly for dxva then it'll do the gpu offloading..... if it's just WMV9 or incorrect encoded VC-1... then it won't gpu offload.

MPC's WMV decoding might not be as efficient as Microsoft's. But you can override MPC's decoder for the WMV file format by setting Microsoft's WMV decoder up in MPC ("prefer" in MPC's external filters options). I explained the external filters options on the previous page.

4. Delerue

Delerue Member

GPU:
    Zogis 9600GT

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's marked as not using DXVA, so I assume it's WMV9. What should I use to accelerate that?

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Because I know squat as far as software goes and I think that may apply to many more who ask questions so supplying those videos is pretty useless. For example, say, someone thinks everything marked wmv is the same. I don't even know what DXVA is.

Edit: Arrg, sorry, doubt post.

7. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Windows Media Player.

8. stewox

stewox Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 4870
    ¸[​IMG]

Yes, i was unable to play some videos beacuse of that ... deselecting this will make it work.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm afraid I have no idea how to use that. It's the laggiest and choppiest of all my players. When I play that same video that took 10% of both cores in MPC HC it takes 50% in WMP11 which is pretty outrageous considering I have it clocked at 4GHz. I'm not even sure how to get subtitles working WMP11.

Edit: I checked the properties of the video, and yes it is wmv9.
    Edit2: In the options it has DirectX wmv acceleration enabled... not working.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  10. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Well use MPC then.... what's the problem??? You asked which player accelerates WMV... WMP is the player which does that. PowerDVD does too... but that's a pain in the ass to use.
    10% CPU is nothing, GPU offloading gives no image quality improvements.. it's literally.. just moving the processing to another piece of hardware. Since your CPU isn't having a problem I can't see why you care.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    If you had something randomly not working when it should I'm sure you would care

Also, is it just me or does CyberLink's site not work? I remember checking it like a year ago and the result was the same, the page just won't load.

12. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    What... is.... not..... working......?

If you think you should be able to offload all video files to the GPU... you .... can.... not.... do... that.

H264 (including VC-1) has to be encoded for dxva with specific profiles. WMV only offloads if the driver and the player like it. That's not a very common occurrence.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I just assumed there is something up with WMP11 since none of my WMV9 files accelerate on it. It just seemed strange that not one would work.

14. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    grrr... this is why I don't hang out in the HD section of the forum helping people out any more.

You just said you don't want to use WMP11. So what difference does it make? WMV acceleration is a ATI driver thing... I've never seen it work in the years it's been in CCC settings. Just forget it exists.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Never said that and if you're foaming at the mouth in rage over my silly questions then don't answer.

A simple "I don't know why WMV11 isn't working" or a lack of an answer would have done fine... several posts ago.

16. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    If you know they are silly why are you asking them?

edit: You've dragged me into your WMP11 problems along with the MPC ones.

This what I'm talking about.... some people have a boat load of problems they bring up once you answer one thing for them. Video/codec problems are complicated enough to sort out if you have the computer in front of you. More fool me for being helpful. All you problems can be sorted with what's in this thread. and all your questions have been answered.. by me... right up there ^

Good luck.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Because I want an answer? Why did you go on for like 5 posts after you knew you didn't have an answer?
    Lol :wanker: Well thanks for pointing out what you did.

I wanted to get an answer to those things I don't know here because NOWHERE else did I (or anyone else who asked these things) get an answer. That includes codec/video help forums.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why is it so imperative that you get it working anyway? It offers like nothing over using your CPU, unless you have like an HTCP you're doing it on.

19. Zicmu

Zicmu Active Member

GPU:
    ATi 5850
    Nice article, i tested straight away but the result is not quite like what i expected.

I am using
    A780GM-A (V1.1) from ECS
    AMD X2 5000+
    4GB RAM
    Vista Ultimate 64

with latest Driver ATi 9.1
    and DirectX (Nov 2008)

It doesnt seems that my GPU is being used during the video playback. When i open the task manager with MPC, it shows that my CPU is being stressed out almost 100%....

does anyone know how to deal with this? i dont know what im missing here

20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Same, but apperently I was already using the GPU acceleration without knowing it. I tinkered with the options back when I first tried it and sticked with the ones that gave me the best quality and guess what...

They're the same as Hilbert's xD