GPU accelerated and enhanced x.264 MKV movie playback [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Sasco

Sasco Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 970
    Aye, the CPU is plenty beefy for the job, I just wanted to try the GPU, I didn't think the 9800 should stutter using shaders though!

2. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    No it shouldn't, I can load up as many as I want on my puny 2600XT.

Try changing the buffered frames in the MLC options, output... Under the custom EVR renderer.. first lock the back buffer... if that doesn't work increase the buffers to 5. If that doesn't work try a different number of buffers up to 5.
    Getting the right number of EVR buffers for your system can reduce video jitter a fair bit. You can get it to '0ms jitter' (MLC - view - statistics) ... if you get it set correctly. That makes the video ultra smooth.

3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Damn doesnt work here, evrything is set as in guide but it uses CPU, when i change some shader CPU jumps to 100% Often and stays like 10-15% all the time on low res file.....

4. Sasco

Sasco Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 970
    Thanks for the tips, Tried up to 5 and over with and without the lock the back buffer, still flickering, it wouldn't be something goofy with SLi would it?

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    WHat codec i should have installed to get this working ? BEcause i think i have TOO many coodecs installed and thats why its not working , i can purge evrything and instal just the one needed. Anyone could link the valid codec ?

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    MPC has internal codecs doing the work - you shouldn't need any codec.

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Then why it is not working :S Have two videos in mkv, possible they they cant be accelerated ?

8. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Yeah it could be a driver issue. Check out nvidia's known issues notes. There could be something in there about the EVR renderer. Have you tried the custom 'VMR9 renderless'? You can also customise the buffer for that. Or there's the surface/resizer settings in there in case you didn't try it already... try less than bicubic, the card might have compatibility problems with the heavy settings.

9. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    There's two posililities:
    1) You're doing something wrong.
    2)[​IMG]

If all else fails, read the instructions.

10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I'm preaty sure i am doing it right, maybe my vidoes cant be accelerated ? I Dont have full knowlage in topic but i done evrything (not much to do ..) like in guide.

11. Phalkon30

Phalkon30 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 GT @ 420x1175 /water
    I was under the impression that the 2400XT had UVD also, it was just the high end card of the 2000 series that didn't have UVD (2800?). In the guide you say that only 3000 and above are supported though.

I guess I'll try in the near future to get this working anyway. I really appreciate the guide, I asked how to do this in the forums a few months ago and didn't get a response, this is very helpful to know it's at least possible with some fiddling.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Mmkay, i've tried the MPCHC, and i like it, however, i can't seem to get the shaders to work for me, when i enable the shaders or disable them when combine is on with 3 or 4 set shaders, i don't see ANY difference in the movies

Also, i have Justice League of America in bluray (cartoon), and all the edges of the drawings are edgy just CRAZY, there are no smooth lines, just edgy lines, however, in just the regular MPC, the video looks fine and the edges are very smooth

I don't get what's going on, i'd think that the shaders would fix that, but it's not at all, all videos i have watched and enabled and disabled shaders i see no difference, as if they arn't working for some reason

i'm stumped

13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I Have 720p x264 movie, and its not working this is the screenshot.

GPU is 0% all the time , sometimes jumps to 4% ( i guess thats normal ?).
    When i rewind the movie it uses CPU ( should gpu ? ).
    Altho GPU is in 3D Mode acording to GPUz..

[​IMG]

14. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    it's working, it's 4% CPU time, not GPU

15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Yea but GPU is 0% all the time , even it is in 3D mode, sometimes maybe each 20 sec has a spike 4-8%. ( should posted GPUz screen, you got confused).
    On Hilbert screens, CPU was 0% my has like 10-20% avarge usage.
    While GPU is Avarge 0-1%.

Shaders are working fine but soo they would on CPU ?

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    he also did his with a 4670... you have a 4870

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Soo you say decoding 720p movie with shaders on, is close to nothing for HD4870 ? ;p

18. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    @ kapu...

Is the video playing smooth? If yes... the don't worry about dvxa and use whatever shaders you want. You don't need MPC to offload to the gpu to enable shaders... shaders work just fine when you use VMR9 or EVR... they are completely separate things. Hilbert really didn't make that clear in the article.

To try and clear this up...

Shaders should work regardless... when you render video as a 3D surface (windows has been able to do this for years) by selecting EVR or VMR9 ... then you can apply shaders to it... MPC has a menu with a few pre-sets.

DXVA is a relatively recent additon (by comparison to 2D/3D video rendering) and you can offload processing to the GPU. This can be a tad temperamental and the video needs to be encoded in a specific way for it to be reliable (MKV 720p TV shows AREN'T made to dxva spec all the time). It's really for blu-ray rips as 40Mbit H264 needs a tad more horsepower to decode... for 720p TV shows it really doesn't matter, any C2D (or even down to a P4) should do those no problem.

If your system has a problem with 720p TV shows then you should really fix that before even trying the GPU thing.. because you probably have some driver or codec problems.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    no, i'm saying that if you had the same GPU utilitization for your 4870 that a 4670 had that'd be sad lol, it'd be like playing crisis at medium settings at 1680x1050, and having the 4670 at 40% utilization, aswell as the 4870 at 40% utilization, but getting the same FPS, essentially, you'd have a 4870 working much harder then a 4670, for the same FPS, just wouldn't work that way :p

so if a 4670 has more utilization then a 4870, well that's no surprise, because a 4870 shouldn't have to work as much as a 4670 for the same result

20. -Lost-

-Lost- New Member

GPU:
    ATI / 4870x2 / 1gb
    figured it out.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009