GPU accelerated and enhanced x.264 MKV movie playback [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

The remote stuff is a too long story. But codecs wise yes.

Simply install CoreCodec, go to the External filters, make sure CoreCodec is on top and has priority over the others and after a restart of the program it'll work.

So you then have CoreCodec responsible for acceleration / bitstreaming of the DXVA content and MPC HT will be used for the Shader functions and post processing.

2. MavG3D

MavG3D New Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thanks for the attempt at answering but I think perhaps you didn't follow what I was looking to overcome. The aim was to achieve the high quality playback (as outlined in your Guide) but still be able to navigate with a Remote - whether this be achieved by either,
    1) getting an MS MCE Remote to work in MPC-HC, or
    2) getting the same visual effect during playback in Media Center.

Having looked into it further, I think the much simpler solution can be found in this Thread.

The only changes I would make to the configurations suggested in that Thread are using the Jump Forward (large) and the Jump Backward (medium) commands as opposed to (small).

The above provides an effective solution for HTPC viewing and there is no doubt that large high quality x264 files appear SIGNIFICANTLY better when played on MPC-HC with the effects outlined in your Article as compared to being played through Windows Media Center.

Now if anyone has a solution on how to achieve this same effect & quality when playing high quality x264 files in Media Center, I'd love to hear.

3. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Try the folling:
    Get K-Lite Codec pack and make sure Media Center is using FFDShow. Go to FFDShow Video decoder configuration and enable "Resize & aspect". Set it to "Resize to screen resolution". Then got to "Resize & aspect / Settings" and select "Luma method: Lanczos" Then move the "Luma sharpen" to 2.0. Now go to "Output / RGB conversation" and select "High quality YV12 to RGB" and "dithering".

This is basically the same as using Screen Space Shaders in MPCHC with YV12 upsampling and edge sharpen. If you want a HTPC software with real shader support like MPCHC check out DVBViewer Pro.

4. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Why tell him to get K-Lite if hes just going to use FFDShow? Using a codec pack is almost always a bad idea.

5. MavG3D

MavG3D New Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I agree that codec packs are generally a bad idea (NB: but if someone really wanted a pack, Sharky's is probably the pick of the bunch because of the way it's put together).

Anyway, I tried the "Luma sharpen" method suggested above and it doesn't even come close to the shader effect in MPC-HC. Hence, the Remote Solution outlined in the Thread I linked above appears to be the only way to go

6. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Yes i agree that codec packs are junk in most times but not K-Lite because its just installs the things you would install anyway if you want FFDShow, Haali and MPC working hand in hand, plus its the only working solution i found to get thumbnails for ALL formats in Windows 7. If you want to make sure Media Center is using FFDSHow you have to disable Media Foundation for the formats you want. You do it with the filter tweaker that comes with K-Lite. And like i said before if you want the quality playback of MPCHC then you have to use MPCHC...

7. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    K-Lite us junk,

Long live the CCCP!

8. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    You can download a DS filter tweaker separately. I know of at least two. I don't know of any logical reason for getting/using a codec pack.

9. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Then do not use it.

10. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    After installing version 1.4.2499.0 (downloaded from the link on page one of this thread), not only did I lose file associations for all .mkv files... I can no longer associate .mkv files with MPC-HC at all. I've googled and searched source-forges' help pages to no avail.
    After right clicking any .mkv and navigating to the app executable, it just returns to the original selection list.. it simply won't accept mpc-hc64 as the association.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

11. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Easy fix. Run MPC. View -> Options -> Formats. Select your file associations. I just hit Video and that selects all video formats. I use MPC for all video and Winamp for all audio formats.

12. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Thanks buddy, did the trick as easily as you stated. :D

13. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    No problem. I actually ran into the same problem as you which is why I knew about it. I don't know why it doesn't show up in the Open With... options, even after you select the exe. Might be something to do with registry. Oh well. As long as it works :p