Got my 955BE, need overclocking suggestions

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Black_ice_Spain, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    Oooooooook, i just got my PII 955BE, and im really happy with the stock cooler.

[​IMG]

Its now at 3.7ghz with stock voltage (didnt make long-run stress tests). (17x multiplier)

The thing its that if i put it to 3.8ghz, even increasing 50mv (0.05) wont make it stable. Something im missing? any tips etc?

I never dealt before with HT freqs and such things (had a dual core and it was not BE so...), but they seem to be "locked", and they are at 2010. I shud move anything there?

PD: Its reaching like 55ºC on the intel burn test during 5min at max stress (around 2gb free ram). Maybe dont push more? :p

PD2: Whats the problem on using CnQ with OCed processors? (i mean, more than instability when bordering the limits)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Might just require more voltage than that .05 you're giving.

Also consider: The maximum temperature AMD recommends on that processor is 62C...You're right at it. Maybe best to not go much higher.

The HT frequency won't move unless you change the HTT (Or FSB, depending on how your motherboard labels it)

Also, there's no issue with CnQ, I use it at all times, even at 4.2ghz.

3. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT
    Ok, thx, didnt know about the temperature, will control it next days ^^.

yeah i better dont go higher, also my GPU its the limit now, even at 1280x1024 i think =).

I disabled CnQ to test voltage and default clock (it was switching too much), but ill enable it and check if its enabled. ty

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Push it to 1.4V and make sure it doesn't peak 62C.

Right now I have CnQ enabled on my OC and it isn't falling apart. Actually through my OC tests, it doesn't matter if CnQ is on or off. I think the reason why people recommended it off is because of the older K8 chips. I haven't found any instability with it on with the new K10 chips.

I see you have Kingston RAM, if you put KVRs, then you can't overclock far. When I swapped them out for G.Skills, my OC went further.

Try setting the multiplier to 17 and bump the base clock to 240, change your RAM ratio to 3:5, drop the NB and HT multiplier to 8x and it should give you 3.72 GHz and should be a bit more stable. This should also improve the system's overall throughput.

After much tweaking last night for my own OC, I changed from:
    235 x 13 = 3055 MHz, RAM ratio at 1:2 = 940 MHz @ 5-5-5-15
    to
    240 x 12.5 = 3000 MHz, RAM ratio at 3:5 = 800 MHz @ 4-4-4-12

Sacrificed a bit but the system seem more responsive and stabler like this.

deltatux

5. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT
    I cant push to 1.4V, i guess thats the counterpart of buying cheap mobos xD, also neither amd overdrive or nvidia system utilies works on it, i can push to 1.425, 1475 and 1525 (altho i didnt deal with the bios a lot yet)

ill do what you say with the FSB and multi, im installing win7 x64 now via USB (a friend told me, i was waiting for a new DVD unit -_-), will deal with overclocking tomorrow or tonight very late.

altho i dont want to touch the FSB a lot, going more than 222mhz on my old M2V would cause my SATA disk to lose data :/ (old cpu wasnt BE so overclock was limited to 220mhz)

Thx for tips anyways, specially delta who gave me tips about mobo and cpu too =) (altho i didnt follow ur mobo tip bcs i changed shop on the fly :p).

PD: I dislike to do stress tests, but in how much time/memory with intel burn test it should peak 62ºC?

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    dude, you need to do stress tests in order to see if your system is stable. There's no other way to determine if the system is stable or not without stress tests. Your processor was most likely stress tested before it left the factory floor.

It also depends on your cooler and your environment ambient temperature, you might be well below the 62C when you stress test it. You might surpass it, you won't know until you do the stress test.

As for your motherboard base clock overclock, each board behaves differently.

btw if u're interested, here's my final OC/tuning:
    [​IMG]
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=995108

deltatux

7. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT
    Thx for that.

Btw i know i need to stress it, but from my experience, if a stress test can be on during 5min, it wont crash in gaming.

Also i only game (i mean as "cpu-consuming" thing), so if my pc crashes while gaming instead of long stress, i dont care a lot.

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You need to run at least 10 rounds of IBT, that means on my processor about ~50 minutes worth of IBT.

Regardless of what you do, an overclock that isn't stable isn't considered to be a good thing. No matter how high you OC it, if it ain't stable, it doesn't do anyone any good.

deltatux

9. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    5 minutes? I've had crashes after 8 hours in prime95 which in the end has crashed in games and applications.
    I usually target 12h stability with prime95 just to be sure.

I do however put on some extra cooling for the CPU and the motherboard so that the very high stress doesn't damage any components.

10. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT
    Then when i see the crash in games, in lower clock :p.

What i mean is that i dont care if it crashes, i know its not a good thing, but after a week playing with it, i can say "its right", and if its not, ill notice when it crashes, and then get lower :/.

I do 5minute tests between overclock tryings, of course the "final" clocks test lasts longer, like 1h or 2h, for me thats ok. Be patient its not my best ^^

But well, different ppl, different stability requeriments or likings :banana: im on x64 now, so gona make the tweaks deltatux suggested.

I have a extra cpu cooler (well its rlly big, its whole case, but really near cpu)

58º-59-60ºC with 3gb ram (maximum) intel burn test (run 1-2-3) and no noise u_U (tv behind tho) this stock fan is leaving me amazed, or my old x2 one was crappy (that too), 240FSB multiplixer x15-> 3600mhz, will try a few more, and if they work, ill start doing em fast. The 3.7 overclock was a fast and untested one, will try to reach there with multiplier and FSBs combos, also the HDD is not losing data with that FSB, seems that this mobo locks sata frequencies better or sumthing =).

HT -> 2160mhz (ill drop it deltatux, i thought it would be around 2000 more than 2160 :p, but i need to go BIOS, so ill wait 10 rounds of IBT), NB -> 2400mhz

BTW any overclock software for nforce2+phenom 2? T_T nor amd overdrive neither nvidia system tools will do the job :bang:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010

11. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    For added stability drop the HT to 1920 by dropping the multiplier to 8x.

deltatux

12. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT
    This is how it is now (it says burn run number 1, but i inmediatly told it to do another 5 after the first 5 ones)

[​IMG]

It seems that the final OC without overvolt (wont do, temps wont allow me neither), will be around 3.65ghz :nerd:. Pretty fine i think for a stock cooler, also dont need more i think too.

mobo theorically can do 2600mhz HT

btw thx again for your help

edit: Cpu (cpu could do 3650 i think, but i dont wanna get crazy with the multipliers and also ram would get lower) and HT ended i think (will do a really long test tonight), HT may get lowered if i find unstability, RAM are at 780 4-4-4-12 stock voltage (they are advertised as 800 CL5)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  13. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT
    bump xD

i was playing today a little with it.

Some1 knows why voltage changes from 1.344 to 1.392 without CnQ enabled? -_-

nvm, voltage fluctuation :bang:, finally left it at 3600mhz

i may overvolt in a few years when the CPU starts to get slow.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  14. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Lower your NB and HT link. You have it at 10x, for better stability, lower that to 8x as I've stated above and I'm sure you can easily press on to 3.7 GHz by doing this (240 x 15.5) but watch your RAM. Make sure that you keep your RAM at 3:5. If you run your system w/ a 240 base clock + 3:5, then your RAM won't be overclocked and it'll stay at the stock 800 MHz. Right now your RAM is underclocked.

For even added stability make sure your memory controllers are unganged.

deltatux

15. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT
    problem is that my ram wont make 800mhz 4-4-4-12, and 750mhz 4-4-4-12 gives better performance theorically than 800mhz 5-5-5-15, the truth is that i dont notice it -_-.

HT is at 10x, but i tested at 8x or 9x, but the CPU crashes at 3700 (on burn tests), even when i only made 200x18.5.

im off to sleep, thx for all, maybe 2morrow ill test a bit moar.

16. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    the difference isn't much from my Everest tests. Obviously it's better but not enough to trade off for the stability issues.

I'd rather have it at CL5 than CL4 if CL4 crashes.

Your CPU shouldn't crash with a lower HT. Make sure you lower your NB before lowering your HT. HT must be lower or equal to your NB speed or else it'll crash. Some boards will restrict you to set your HT higher than your NB speed.

deltatux

17. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT
    CL4 doesnt crash at 750mhz :p (it wont crash at 800mhz CL4, just errors in intel burn test), ima try the settings you told me.

ill put it at 800mhz CL5 to avoid any errors

problem is that i cant control the NB frequency, HT frequency is always lower or equal to it tho, cant be higher.

for temps i may use my old X2 fan and "paste" it over my current one, two fans in one, maybe that gets temps lower, ill have to try (my old one doesnt need to be connected to the MOBO, only directly to the PSU, was manually-controlled)

Ok, 240x15.5 -> 3720mhz 1900HT, 2400NB :(, 800 CL5 = Crash in second run IBT
    225x16 -> 3600mhz, 2249HT, 2249NB, 750 CL4 = stable

When it crashes bcs of cpu frequency higher than ~3630 its BSOD and "General hardware fault, shutdown to protect or sumthing like that"

18. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    errors means potential crashes ... that means the CPU wasn't able to operate properly. Thus, a crash is imminent.

Issue seems to be since you can't lower your NB, it's restricting you from having a stable overclock. So, this is what you should do:
    220 * 17 = 3.74 GHz, RAM @ 1:2 = 880 MHz @ CL5 (or CL4 if you can do that). This should be stabler.

deltatux

19. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT
    yeah i know about it, i told it bcs some1 maybe could say "this is mobo".

Its not NB neither, at 200*19 it crashes.

At 220*17 it also crashes,

i think its cpu :nerd: and its not when its at full temp @_@

ram at 900mhz CL5 and passed 10intel burn tests :)

but well, 750 CL4 its the same than ~920 CL5 so nothing strange :wanker:

20. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    My amd be x4 955 can hit 3.8 with no added voltage; and does not matter how much more voltage I put to it even though it's still cool it won't go any higher. Anyways 3.6-3.8 for the most part is all you can get out of them no matter how much voltage you throw at it. And by the way why are you people telling him to adjust his ram speeds etc when he has a black edition with a unlocked multiplyer ! Geez no need for that just up the multi on the cpu. Some of you people give some dung advice thats for sure.