Got a new monitor today and have a couple questions.

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by jbscotchman, Jun 5, 2020.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    So I finally made the jump from a 22' inch 1080p to 27" 1440p. And I must say it is fantastic looking, new levels of detail are being seen. Been eyeing Pixio products for the last few months and went with this.

https://www.newegg.com/pixio-px275h-27-wqhd/p/0JC-0081-00030?Item=0JC-0081-00030

But here are my concerns. I'm using the standard hdmi that came with it so I'm not seeing the 95hz that is advertised. I didn't think about ordering a display port cable to go along with it, that's totally my fault. Is a display port cable necessary to go above 60hz? If so I could use a recommendation.

I've enabled free sync in the monitor's control panel but I don't see any options for G Sync in the NV control panel, and I just installed the latest drivers. (446.14)

I know my 6gb GPU is now a bottleneck and I'll be upgrading later this year, but even when running some less demanding games the smoothness I was expecting to see isn't really there. Will a display port cable resolve that issue?

And yea when it comes to monitors my knowledge is not that extensive so any advice is appreciated.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    GSync can be used with FreeSync monitors only through DisplayPort.

jbscotchman likes this.
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    jbscotchman likes this.
  4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well I'm definitely getting a display port cable. Man it seems like HDMI just came and went out fast.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Well

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    If you had an AMD card, then you could do FreeSync over HDMI

mbk1969 likes this.
  7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Major Update

So for the last few days I knew that something just wasn't right with this monitor and it was annoying the hell outta me. After talking to Pixio support (which was fantastic and answered right away) I realized there are two HDMI ports on the back but to actually get the full 95hz and HDR support you need to use the one on the left. I quote the tech support guy: "That's something we're gonna put on our website soon because it is confusing a lot of people."

So now even with the standard HDMI cable that came with it I'm able to enable 95hz in the NV control panel and in some games I've tested, input lag is gone and the monitor looks smooth and vibrant as I had hoped for. As for G-Sync that won't show up until I get a DP cable which is on the way.

And yea, this is the first monitor I've bought in 6 years so this is probably common knowledge to most of you, but hopefully it may help someone else out.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well I tell you man, I'm streaming Mad Max Fury Road from Amazon Prime right now with HDR and 95hz and I'm having an eyegasm. :eek:

From what I understand after talking to the dude from Pixio, a display port cable is only necessary to enable g-sync in the NV control panel.

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Major Update 2:

I've learned over the last week that not only Nvidia, but game developers have a lot to improve on when it comes to vertical sync and HDR support. Judging from the majority of games I've tested, G-sync with the newest drivers will limit your fps to half of your monitor's native refresh rate (48hz in my case.) and that is the essence of G-synce/FreeSync. Unless you have the horsepower to back it up. Using a 1660 ti and most significantly GTA Online, HellBlade, and Plague Tale Innocence will balance themselves to hold a solid framerate at 48fps which does offer an overall smooth experience. Now in some older titles like Max Payne 3, Titanfall 2, and a few others, a solid 95hz at 2560x1440p runs like hot knife through butter.

As for HDR, I've seen so many people online complain that monitors aren't doing "true" HDR. What is true HDR? All I know from the titles I've listed and movies like Mad Max Fury Road is that I've seen some of the best and most vivid colors I've seen ever in film, I'm not sure what people are expecting.

So far all of this has been done on HDMI 2.0, but tomorrow my new Display Port 1.2 Cable will be arriving. I'm gonna reinstall drivers, and run another whole suite of comparisons. I'm not expecting anything big, but will be pleasantly surprised if there is anything significant.

Overall I love this monitor, it was a great investment, stick with IPS, and thanks @anticupidon for recommending it. ;)

anticupidon likes this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    LFC is kickin in becouse you are falling below your minimum freesync range. 1660ti is not capable running 1440p high refresh rate monitor with newer games. Its all good though, no tearing is a plus and should always limit framerate 2-3hz below refresh rate and leave vsync disabled.

jbscotchman likes this.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    To have a proper HDR experience, you need to map the colors to the supported colorspace, and process the gamma metadata to adjust the lighting. When I was using a GTX1070, HDR material was presented in a fake fashion. It did some color saturation in 10bit to mimic the colors, and never adjusted the gamma. You can tell because the screen brightness doesn't change much at all vs SD mode. Mind you it did trigger my monitor's HDR mode, but it just didn't produce.

Now that I am on a Nitro+ 5700XT, when I play HDR games or movies, I get both, and it's obvious that the gamma is adjusted, and the colors aren't super saturated, but look natural.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    jbscotchman likes this.
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Final Update

With the display port cable the first thing fixed was a weird issue where before when I would adjust the volume on my keyboard while playing any game, the screen would flicker black for a couple seconds. That's gone now. Second, I'm no longer being locked to 48fps in the games mentioned above. Plague Tale Innocence for example after about 10 minutes of play is holding roughly 60-75fps with no screen tearing thanks to now being able to enable g-sync. I'm sure there's more tweaking I can do especially with the colors and such but as of now I'm very happy and comfortable with this.