got a new bike.. and need help.. :D

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by tamzid, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Before changing the tyres, get used to the feel of the bike, how it handles round bends etc. so you have some idea of which you prefer.
    Sticking too wide tyres on will make it harder to go round bends and can be dangerous.
    I bought an FZR-1000 that came with oversize tyres on and while it looked great (mmm Manga bike), I had to force the handlebar down and hang off the side to get it to go round bends, madness.
    I soon changed them!

There are a few things you can do to improve performance, but bad maintenance can negate anything you do, so learn how to properly maintain the bike.

Regularly "clean" and oil the bike chain and keep it correctly tensioned.
    Failing to do this can have a few consequences.
    Instead of putting energy down on the road, it will be used up wearing out the cogs which then stretches the chain prematurely.
    Quite expensive as both cogs and chain need replacing at the same time or they will very quickly wear to the same level again.
    A loose chain can be highly dangerous, especially for a passenger.
    Dont over tighten the chain though as that will cause faster wear and less power to the wheel.

Dont oil cables until you find out if they are nylon coated.
    Nylon coated cables swell up when oiled so oil has the opposite effect on those, causing them to jam!
    However, regularly oil any cables that should be oiled.

Use WD40 or a thin spray oil on the electrical connections (wipe up after) to keep moisture out otherwise they will eventually corrode, especially if the bike is kept outdoors.

Keep tyre pressures within manufacturers specs.
    Always get tyres suitable for the roads you will use.
    Very important!!

Dont leave brakes rubbing so they slow the bike down when not braking as...
    1) they are likely partially seized and wont be very good when you need them
    2) you will use more fuel
    3) tyres / clutch will wear faster (depending which brake is seized)
    4) the pads and disks/drums will wear out much much faster and will already be very hot when you need them (cool = good, hot = not)
    5) you can get ditched in the rain or round a bend (or anywhere that you cant get good traction) if a wheel locks up

Always check the operation of things that could kill you or save your life before using the bike.
    ie throttle sticking = kill you, brakes working = save you

Theres more, thats an intro :)

There are a many ways to improve performance.
    Firstly you may need to de-restrict the engine, make sure this is legal where you are.
    If you dont de-restrict the engine, chances are you wont get much more from the bike no matter what mods you do.
    The bike may already be de-restricted or not sold restricted where you are, check.

Polish the exhaust and inlet ports for higher/smoother gas flow rate.

Use an aftermarket power exhaust but be careful to note exactly what it will do.
    If there are noise laws where you live, you might fall foul of them.
    If there are are restrictions on learner rider machines, any mods might break the law.
    With electronic ignition, the ignition unit may auto adjust to the new required air/fuel ratio to a certain degree, you need to be sure you dont need a special electronic ignition unit.
    If you have carburetors, check to see if you need to fit bigger fuel jets and maybe an aftermarket air filter/filter system.
    Running too much air/too little fuel in the mixture will cause hotter combustion and can melt the tops of your pistons, I've done it and its not a cheap repair.
    Using more fuel/air will likely increase fuel consumption, bear that in mind.

You can increase the compression ratio by removing the head gasket or using performance gaskets (you must be very sure of what you are doing if you change the gasket/compression).
    You can have the head skimmed too to give the same effect but you cant go back on that so easily.
    This will increase the compression ratio which allows you to burn a higher octane fuel but may need the spark timing adjusting as well.

There may be a power valve kit for your bike.
    This restricts the exhaust at low revs so less fuel is required to make the same power with the same exhaust.
    It opens up at higher revs to get full throughput from the exhaust.

Thats by no means a complete list just a few ramblings.

Dont sacrifice grip for speed or less wear when choosing new tyres.
    There may be tyres that have better grip under acceleration/braking but wear less during constant speeds so keep an eye out for them.

One of the most important things is to get the best body protection that you can afford.
    Rubber wellington boots and a coat arent going to cut it!
    Leather everything as it will keep you in one peice.
    You most likely WILL fall off it if you keep it for a year or more, depending on your driving style, the condition of the roads and how many nutters live where you are.

I dont mind if anyone counters what I have written, I havent had a bike for a few years now so there may be some improved wisdom :)

2. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    You reminded me of one of the mods my dad did to his Harley, I'll just leave it here for a giggle.

He shoved a crowbar up the exhausts to punch holes in the baffles for more HP and noise. :D

@mufflore: New tyres are laminated and need to be ridden in. When you get a new set, they will have a shiny coating on them to make them look more appealing. Take it easy for the first day until this coating wears off as it reduces grip.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Very worthy point!
    I used to run mine in at slow speed for a few hundred miles through the countryside on dry days.

4. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Oh come on... every motorcycle is more green than any other car on this planet.:stewpid:

And scooters are for girls.

5. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    While they use less gasoline, they also have no requirements for a catalytic converter.

No cats = far more toxic exhaust.

Motorcycles pollute more, generally.

However, because there are so few of them, cat requirements are simply ignored. They're considered negligible in influence.

-scheherazade

6. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

A larger rear sprocket will shorten overall gearing, resulting in quicker acceleration but higher highway revs.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I did this on a 100cc bike and it transformed its street performance, its a cool mod if you dont do high speeds.
    It got to top speed quicker but as you pointed out, top speed wasnt as high.
    Wheelied like a nutter :D