Got a good deal..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PSILOCYBIN, Dec 7, 2005.

1. PSILOCYBIN

PSILOCYBIN Active Member

GPU:
    evga 7800GT @ 480/1250
    My work (Best Buy) had 50% blowout on a Gateway 5018E desktop, $400. So I picked one up. Now I sold my old PC (specs to left) for $600. Just purchased evga 7800GT, Corsair value RAM 2x512DDR2 pc4200, and a 500W Rosewill PSU (the gateway has a 300W!) for $450
    Here are the gateway specs...

Intel D945GCZ Mainboard
    Pentium D 820 2.8 dual core
    2x512MB DDR2 PC4200 (4 slots)
    250GB SATA Western Digital HD
    ATI TV tuner with AM/FM
    PCI-E 16x Available

Now I heard Pentium D's are good OC'ers. Now I cant OC it in BIOS and im trying to find a way to OC it.

Well, with a base comp for $400. Just spent $450 on the RAM, 7800GT, and 500W PSU.
    Total $850 on whole system. Good Deal?

2. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX@497/1300
    not bad, I can build one for 1000$ that will decimate it tho :p

opteron 146 @ 2.9Ghz 200$
    dfi lanparty ut ultra-d 120$
    geforce 7800GT 300$
    aspire darkside psu 100$
    1gb ram 100$
    cd roms/hd 100$

920$ add some taxes, s+h and some extra's money so for 1000$ it should do alot better than that system and allow you to oc all you want.

this is the 2nd system I am building just using my other cpu and my ocz ram, but probably going with a 6800gs since its for my gf she doesnt need a 7800gt ^^

3. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    looks like a decent system, 400 for those specs is killer

as for OCing the thing, you could try something like clockgen, but with an intel made mobo, chances of succesfully OCing are very slim, as intel doesnt like that

4. PSILOCYBIN

PSILOCYBIN Active Member

GPU:
    evga 7800GT @ 480/1250
    Case? Double layer DVD burner? TV tuner w/ remote? Full copy of windows XP media edition? 2 GB DDR2 4200?

5. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX@497/1300
    case 39$ dvd burner is cheap :p 50$ tv tuner dont want one, windows xp have it, ddr2 sucks...

id toss all those in a second for the much much higher performance, and you would too.

2.8ghz pentium is about the same as a 1.6ghz 64 lol and a 2.9ghz 64 is on par with a 5ghz pentium.

duel core also in many threads has been shot down to not really be worth all its hyped up to be.

this is not a zomg I can do better than you post, i was tossing a similary priced system at you that has much better performance. No point in posting somthing just to see everybody agree with you, if thats what you wanted ask your girlfriend if you got a good deal, not a computer forum ^^ its my job to give you the facts and the truth.

"You cant handle the truth"! lol ( had to quote that )

also keep in mind if you did want to over clock that system you will probably need a new mobo, and you will definiltly need new cooling. so you would have to add those factors on aswell.

6. PSILOCYBIN

PSILOCYBIN Active Member

GPU:
    evga 7800GT @ 480/1250
    Well, I wasn't throwing anything like that out there. Just at the time 3 left $400 thought it was a good deal as to i sold my comp to a freind for 600 but he also gave a me a comp in return as well... And I had planned on giving the system he gave me to my GF as a christmas presant.

7. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    Don't listen to Vicious, your system is all right for $800. Of course you can get more for more, but you'll do well. But he was right to say that your mobo most likely is your OC killer, which is a shame. Comparing a 146 Opti with your cpu still is a lame thing to do, cos a) dual vs. single core, different strenghts, b) oc vs non-oc, but granted even @ stock the 146 is faster, c) not everybody is willing to run the cpu 45% above stock & not everybody will be able. The Opti will not stay the holy grail forever. Usually, when people start to take massive OCs for granted, it's a good sign that it's all about to be over!

8. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX@497/1300
    well yeah .. thats why I got 2 of them ^^ but your right, I recomend 3700+ or 4000+ to people that dont want to OC they are rock solid stable cpus.

and keep in mind the only reason he got a good deal was due to his huge 50% off... that system I build I have to pay full retial for ^^; if I had some hookups id be happy even with a non oc 4000+

plus the card I want is 6800gs since its only 200$ and oc's into a beast vs the 300$ GT

that machine is the one im building for my girlfriend, I dont want her touching mine! installing car alarm on it soon lol.

9. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    The bios on OEM systems like that do not contain any overclocking features. You might get software to work but will need to try it.

I think going from a 3.6 to a 2.8 will be noticably slower (dual core does little in games) but at least the video card is a beast so it will still be faster overall plus doing anything outside of games wil rock.

10. PSILOCYBIN

PSILOCYBIN Active Member

GPU:
    evga 7800GT @ 480/1250
    Thanks for the feed back. Mainly I was looking for info on how to OC this thing. Im browsing around now and trying to find a way. Any tips greatly appreciated.
    Thanks..

11. PSILOCYBIN

PSILOCYBIN Active Member

GPU:
    evga 7800GT @ 480/1250
    Well just checked the RAM and it has 3-2-2-8 timings. From what I hear thats good DDR2 memory.

12. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    "Branded" pre-built stuff usualy has some dificulty ocing. I recommecnd clockgen. You need to do a bit of hunting on your mobo for a number, but once youve got it everything should work. I dont remember the exact prosses right now, sorry.
    Google is your friend to find it.

13. PSILOCYBIN

PSILOCYBIN Active Member

GPU:
    evga 7800GT @ 480/1250
    Im searching it up now...

14. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX@497/1300
    3-2-2-8? yeah thats pretty good timings, what speed is that binned at tho?

15. PSILOCYBIN

PSILOCYBIN Active Member

GPU:
    evga 7800GT @ 480/1250
    Binned speed? 533MHz PC2 4300

Oh and just found a FSB increaser in BIOS called "Burn-In" (kinda skeptical)

16. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX@497/1300
    well if it does 3-2-2-8 at DDR533 yeah thats pretty good ram, infact it beats out DDR, I have to find some of this stuff and research it further.

17. PSILOCYBIN

PSILOCYBIN Active Member

GPU:
    evga 7800GT @ 480/1250
    From what I have read DDR2 is mainly for Intel Processors because of its bad memory fluencey

18. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    yeah, at the moment AMD has exactly 0 cpu's supporting DDR2, while most new intel chipsets are DDR2 exclusive

DDR2 support for amd will come though with socket M2 next year

19. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX@497/1300
    Yeah I knew that ^^ but thing is I always see DDR2 with high latencies thus its downfall he said he has some very low latency ddr2 wich is totally new to me, im intrested in knowing the ram brand and exact stats.

20. PSILOCYBIN

PSILOCYBIN Active Member

GPU:
    evga 7800GT @ 480/1250
    Well, a little follow up. I decided to get some new hardware as I hated this intel MOBO. Ordered a ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe Socket T Mobo and a Thermaltake Tsunami case to go with it. Also a Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm Cooling Fan for the Pentium D. Now for one the case is sweet plenty of room and classy. Now I have been able to OC the processor(s) to 4.0Ghz. At first I was kinda amazed. Idles 45C load at 52C.
    Now with this mobo I can go SLi. This processor speed good for SLi?
    Thanks..