Got A GeForce FX 5200 (256mb DDR,10% FOC by BFG Tech) whast the best driver?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Spankor, May 19, 2005.

1. Spankor

Spankor Guest

im running a Gigabyte GA-7VXTE mobo - VIA KT266a chipset - AMD 1500+ XP athlon (palimino) - SB audigy - 512mb PC2100 DDR by Kingston - GeForce FX 5200 (256mb DDR - 10% FOC by BFG Technologies) - Windows XP Home Editon SP2 out of the box + hotfixes

my question is since ive been playing Anarchy Online ive had troubles staying Anarchish let alone Online,When i first started i had alot of problems staying connected so like always i would run and get the latest drivers for everything and then do a scandisk and defrag and what not, update all av and fw and then make a run at playing AO again.Well for the most part no trouble in the last 2 months of playing then as of last week i started crashing evey few mins,alot of weird stuff happening to like grfx anomilies,jagged screen distortion,sometimes just a frozen screen with no anomilies and then i would get a sudden reboot of PC for no reason(no sounds of over heating since i always keep my fans and CPU and GPU pasted every 6 months with artic paste and clean my fans and check performance)so im almost certain this is not a overheating prob,checked my mem to make sure its in good shape with memtest and ran tests on HD as well as benchmark card and so forth,i talk to others who play and they say this could be faulty chipset and grfc card drivers cause most are not getting the same thing i am while some are,considering everything was fine till last week im not sure whats going on,One thing i do want to know since my system is somewhat ancient is there like a ultimate driver for my chipset and for thegrfx card that i can try out and see if it fixes my prob? i read that alot of the new drivers are basically geared towards the new cars for optimizing them while they will work for my cards and chipsets theyre not optomized for them,I just need something i can rely on to help my poor old chipset and grfx card...Pls Help

2. danroyle

danroyle Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 460 1gb 800/1600
    my personal favourite is 66.93

3. khriztyan

khriztyan Active Member

GPU:
    AEolus FX5700 256MB 490/700
    mine is 73.00 beta

4. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 6800 (12x1,6vp)
    well, when my brother had a 5200 i used to install XG 71.24 which I believe was the best for his pc...

5. Spankor

Spankor Guest

well ive tried the 73.00 and now im getting weird grfx anomalies,the whole thing is spiking and i can make out the figures or textures at all gonna try the 66.93 but by what i wish someone had a set up like mine it would save me the trouble really oh well trial and error i suppose

6. Spankor

Spankor Guest

well i tried the 66.93 drivers and what do ya know CRASH! curious as to why they did i read the nfo that came with them,and to my surprise they dont even support the FX 5200 card only the FX 5800 and 5800 ultra.Is there anyone out there that really knows whast going on and can gimme some rock solid advice on the drivers i actually need for the type of system i have,and while were at it is there anyone out there that can tell me what is the best VIA drivers for my system to,The trial and error thing would go a lil smoother if im actually trying drivers that support my card,thnx

7. Spankor

Spankor Guest

if there was a way on the site to say hey these drivers support so and so cards and these have been tested by so many people as to being a better driver for this type of card blah blah blah,make things a hella easier to find drivers

8. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    i had a setup just like yours and i think i either fry it or just give it to someone who would like it
    a xp 2400 and a ecs k7sem with 512mb of pc 133 and a geforce fx 5200
    any takers out there with shipping money and maby a few $ for a new game.
    or a cyborg evo?

9. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
  10. Lowbudgetgamer

Lowbudgetgamer Banned

GPU:
    PNY FX 5200U 128/128 331
    Try 45.23, they're old but they do wonders for my 5200 IMO.

11. Spankor

Spankor Guest

LMAO FoxBat25.... Ok well went back to the 73.00 drivers seems my card is actually supported,anyway went through standard procedure,uninstall,rebbot to safe,used driver cleaner then reinstalled the 73.00 and installed a older legacy drivers that seem to make the KT266a chipset run alot more stable than others ( VIA 4 n 1 v443 ) with this combonation seems to be pretty stable and AO isnt crashing now like it would have before,I fear its the game more thna anything its so old and they are never gonna re-write the damn thing to be a lil grfx dependent anyway but its cheap and its probably the best rpg ive played in a long time,But the most fickle game to play when it comes to system specs ive ever seen,never had a problem with any other game inmy library really especially the wolfenstein series and DOOM3 and Sims2 way more graphic intense games and yet still AO crashes like it doesnt like certain drivers i run,For now it likes it till the next patch comes out and then ill be running around here like a chicken with its head off looking for the next bits and peices to throw together and bake into a crusty delicious serving of pure driver madness for AO to sink its teeth into,I only hope the next driver pie i make will suit its voracious apetite for chewing up PC`s and spitting em out and laffing and looking at me saying " Your Next FATBOY!!! ".
    Where the hell did i come up with that metaphor?...Oh the wifes cooking....im getting hungry....later and thnx for the help guys,Big thnx to khriztyan looks as if the 73.00 are doing well so far may have to go with FoxBat25`s choice of a more nastalgic driver that has more dinosaur bones in it than meat but hey need a bone or 2 for foundation i suppose,ill have to see depending if the 73.00 jump up and lick their...you know.

12. Spankor

Spankor Guest

nice ill try those as well if the 73.00 dont work out to Lowbudgetgamer,Thnx again for your help

13. Lowbudgetgamer

Lowbudgetgamer Banned

GPU:
    PNY FX 5200U 128/128 331
    Im happy to help Spankor, anytime i can.

14. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Mine were the XG 71.84.

They increased a lot my perfomance and i got some more FPS in games.
    Also the 71.89 are good because they decreased my temps by 5 Âșc and i can overclock more. i Have oced my core about 18% and my memory clocks about 40% (thats a lot)

15. Spankor

Spankor Guest

well stable is what im after not the every lil drop i can squeeze out of this card,i just want the damn thing to play thats all not concerned with a super leet grfx thats sol old it farts dust now,But i will also give those a try if the 73.00 dont work out and as of now they seem to be ok got a crash once in AO and not sure if i can give credit tio the drivers for it,tried to find the XG drivers but seems their not posted on downloads section or am i blind?

16. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

17. Spankor

Spankor Guest

Im downloading em as i type htis,i just read the nfo for the XG drivers and im quite impressed still having troubles with keeping AO happy so gonna try these i think for one Anarchy Online is CPU burdend game,old as it is i wish they would just recode it for its survival to many people having problems with keeping game up,Anyway going to try the XG drivers and wish me luck,over and out.

18. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

ok, so good Luck

19. sykozylot

sykozylot Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 7600go 512mb
    mine loves the xg 71.84 (non HD), but it's a laptop card.

20. Spankor

Spankor Guest

holy crap i gotta say these XG drivers are insanely nice for my card,BIG THNX to Kain for mentioning these they rock,but after i installed the drivers i started looking at the AGP section of the driver and noticed that my GPU and OS is using the AGP v3.0 but my chipset is stuck at using 2.0 is this gonna hurt my performance in anyway? my mobo is using a old VIA chipset the KT266a ive ran the newest release of the 4 n 1 drivers and still its using the 2.0 version,plus i started noticing theres other drivers for my chipset as with the IDE and AGP these seem to be seprate form the 4 n 1 for some reason,anyway can someone tell me what would be the best driver for my KT266a chipset and do i need the other seprate drivers ive seen on this site? I would apreciate any nfo that can get my old chipset up to par and get a lil more out of it without melting it or going to a OC setup,i really dont to OC anything on this poor old mobo,thnx again