1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google To End Cooperation With Huawei

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2019.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    it can be changed with help....but then again that would be from a different opinion "said person" disagreed with.
    Opinion = "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."

I hold my opinion you hold yours with respect for both of us.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor 8G OC
    Whether Huawei phones are compromised with hidden spy tech or not, but using a phone from a company that is backed by the country's government does not give me much confidence. Especially coming from a government from this particular country.

HandR likes this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    That said, if you think about it, every android or iOS phone, on the software side, could be just as spy tech savvy due to, as we see, the US government having major influence over google as well. So I guess the confidence is still built or lost around who's government it is... and to be honest, I trust neither the US nor China. Equally.

4. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    It's sad to hear this because it means my government is failing to project trustworthiness, which means it's going to be more difficult to project influence. The best way to influence others is to set a good example and I'm sorry to say we haven't been doing as much of that these last few decades. 9/11 plus internet soap box = paranoid loonies everywhere, and it's only intensified under Trump.

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I agree with you. I think your statement is very sensible, probably more so than the US government's doing. I am, of course, be more a fan of the "Western" than the "Eastern" way of openness, tolerance, and basic freedoms, among in other constitutions, in those of the US. But growing up I learned that not everything is black and white...

airbud7 likes this.
  6. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix

It definitely is. A fair share of companies in Canada wont do business with any American companies if the data of their clients is stored on servers in USA. The reason for this is they don't trust your gov to be required to have a proper warrant to access the data.

7. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    What is important in all this is to make the distinction between a government and the citizens. American citizens are awesome ... well at least the ones who are not religious zealots lol

Effectively not everything is black and white. My main problem with the way of doing things in North America for the last 10-15 years (mainly since Irak) is we are supposed to be the good guys. I hate how we justify a lot of things by saying they are the bad guys we can do this to them but they can't do the same to us. A lot of people justified the torture using this mentality. They are the bad guys we can torture them.

From my point of view the minute you start doing to them what they do to you then you are not the good guy anymore and they are justified of doing it as much as you think you might be justified of doing it too. If you bully the bully then you're not worth more than him. You can defend yourself against the bully but once he is down if you start bullying him then you're not worth any better in my book.

I wish i could pretend we are still the good guy in the story but i'm not 100% sure we still are.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    I can tell you with 100% accuracy that you/we are NOT the bad guy though.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    I would like to be the good guy though instead of just the better guy or less bad guy.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    I completely understand, and I feel the same.

airbud7 likes this.

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Sure it's not the US citizens, don't get me wrong, but do you think every poor guy in China is the devil? Not at all...
    But one thing's for sure: When democracy brings up an elected President, and his government (not just now but as you said, last 10-15 years maybe), it is not easily unbound of the population... the US citizens voted their representatives after all.

I understand what you trying to say, only that... this highly depends on the point of view. Some Taliban idiot who's father or grandfather were killed fighting against the Russians in Afghanistan might think otherwise, out of their own, perfectly logical (to them) reason. Like I said, it's not all black and white.

Honestly, I'd love to go to the US again. Great country, rich and diverse in nature and it's citizens. But the way the US treat the rest of the world, I'd simply not feel welcome as a tourist. Hell, I probably believe most US citizens would not think of us Europeans as their "friends" anymore anyway.

12. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti GAMING
    The Americans put great value on the family. In Europe, the family is not so important.

airbud7 likes this.
  13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I wonder if the U.S. actions is more about economic reasons than security. China is (supposedly) way ahead of the U.S. in developing 5g tech that the U.S. stands to lose billions if they are behind. 5g is such a game changer that it can affect the economies of both countries should one lag behind the other in its development. Security of course is a more 'justifiable' reason to use when it comes to coercing businesses or U.S. allies to toe the U.S. line.

fantaskarsef, airbud7 and HandR like this.
  14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Europe has been at the heart of what Christianity is for the western world, wether you're religious or not, it shaped our society and i'm fairly convinced our family values.

I think Europe needs to wake up and take a stand. U.S. have been taken with their hands in the cookie jar more than once since 2000s, from spying on German Angela Merkel phone, to fake proofs to start the Irak War which ended up breaking apart middle east and laid the foundation of modern terrorism agency (i won't use acronyms but i guess we all get it).

China has so much to blame too, they killed several European top tech firms in the 2000s. We had a firm here in france which were processing up to 50% of worldwide
    'rare earth' for consumer electronics in 2000s, which is now closed, while china took over and now process 90% of world Rare Eath in complete disregard for human conditions, with some villages known to have up to 70% people with cancer...
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/aug/07/china-rare-earth-village-pollution

German solar panel company also ended up shutting down while facing unbalanced competition from China.

Meanwhile we're in the middle, anyway. European elections are today for us, we'll see where things goes !

fantaskarsef, airbud7 and HandR like this.
  15. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    You could be right?....I wonder does huawei hold any patents or can we just copy what they built?

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    The implications of 5g technologies on a range of industries (not just telecom) will expand the development of many new products and technologies that can make use of it. Both sides, China and the U.S., potentially stand to gain (or lose) at the expense of the other in many areas as a result.

Good article: https://www.iam-media.com/who-leading-5g-patent-race

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes, its a terrible problem.
    women stay with violent men, children don't dob in their sex offender priests and relatives, raped teenagers have to carry their rape baby to term...

You don't need religion for a good society and family values, but you can sure find the most damaging and vile ones protected by it.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.