Google To End Cooperation With Huawei

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A bizarre turn of events is reported today in smartphone land. President Trump declared the national telecommunications emergency last week to protect the United States from foreign attacks, Google i...

Google To End Cooperation With Huawei

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm beyond having a comment that's presentable here.

toyo, nick0323, Aura89 and 3 others like this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Fox2232 likes this.
  4. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Wow, now even smartphone users are affected by the trade war and that is plenty of people, though thankfully current Huawei owners do not notice much. I wonder how long people will accept the tolls and all if prices start to go up and real bankrupties start to occur? Countries all over the world need to find reliable and long term trade partners soon or else they start to run into debt. Either you do that or build vastly improved domestic economy.

So how are future Huawei phones affected exactly? Can users download apps from Play Store anymore? Google apps are easily replacable in the end, like Chrome, Maps, etc; but without any updates coming from Google does this simply mean Huawei needs their own distribution channel to update Play Store or any apps (Play Store is an app in itself)? Do they need to wait longer before they get their hands on latest Android builds, when Google offers the files for others way sooner?

Last edited: May 20, 2019

5. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I don't think it is only related to the USA tariffs on Chinese products. Huawei has already faced decisions of many governments that rejected them from any government systems. The tariffs probably only further this point, so the partners abandon the ship before they take a large hit.

As for smartphones, they will probably still run android, but the play store will be missing. I understand that Chinese have their replacement store, but it will obviously be inferior to the official store. It's going to be interesting to see what Huawei does with this.

Brasky likes this.
  6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    You can count on Google to know whats right for you.

anticupidon and rl66 like this.
  7. TanarPeti

TanarPeti Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD6850 1GB
    As a former Samsung, and a now happy owner of a P20 Pro, I can only say one thing: frack Google...

rl66 likes this.
  8. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Also you CAN live without google... (i am banned from their service since years)
    If you need easy smartphone you have still Apple (but i don't need smartphone :) an highly inpact protected and waterproof regular phone is enough)

And if you still believe in google you have other brand, huawei isn't at it's 1st issue with security VLC's creator can tel a lot about it.

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    ironic i hope :) lol

WhiteLightning likes this.

11. angh

angh Guest

I hope EU wont join that madness and will continue business with them as usually, despite of US threats to not share intelligence.
    China will retaliate and this gonna be ugly for many of us. How much longer to next US elections?

rl66 likes this.
  12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sorry people, this is clearly NOT about security but about politics. As such I won't comment on the motivation behind this ban.
    The only effect is, that android probably is done if it's being skipped in China (and I can imagine that soon there will be a Chinese android alltogether), but now what about the rest of the world? Everybody's screwed because, let's face it, if you got a Huawei device you're bound to be insecure in the future due to the lack of updates. In reality, the decision of the companies (yeah right, of the POTUS) made the tech environment a lot less secure because of denying future security updates.
    And it's forcing a decision onto people way outside of either China or the US.

So what are the optinos? Live without a play store? Like, deliberately being half offline? Or install potentiall insecure APKs from other sources because google doesn't give you any more updates for the sake of "security"?
    Switch to iOS? Yeah right, thanks for paying twice as much (there is no cheap iphone at all) just to have your security in the hands of just another US company?
    Not use a smartphone anymore? Not use apps anymore?

What's my fellow guru's opinion on what to do now with the Huawei phone I just got two months ago (P20)?

All in all it just makes me puke... security is just a word since obviously, nobody cares about it for the sake of the customer, and I am seeing myself running out of options.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    [​IMG]

sykozis, Keitosha, yasamoka and 2 others like this.
  14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe get a like for the meme, but sadly I'd rather do that with other stuff than a smartphone. I'd be more likely to aim it at the people responsible for the issues I personally am facing because of that.

sykozis likes this.
  15. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    From beneficial point of view, Google want more companies to work with. I am not sure what the deal with Huawei, but nobody want to lose a big client.

Politics 101:
    1. Create a bunch of news/stories/propaganda (it's all the same) that make China looks bad. (I mean GOOGLE/CIA/FBI/FACEBOOK totally NOT invading your privacy).
    2. Unite people inside.
    3. ...
    4. Profit!

MBTP, cryohellinc and fantaskarsef like this.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I mean, at this point, I could as well stick with China, at least I'd have an easier time visiting Beijing with a Huawei smartphone than Washington D.C. when owning an Apple device.

17. Incredible Lama

Incredible Lama Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    Im at this very moment looking for a new Android phone (coming from a heavily overdue iPhone 6S) and the P30 Pro was on my potential list. Now I wonder if similar things could happen to OneNote or Xioami. Otherwise Samsung and Nokia seem to be my safe bets for now..

18. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    This isn't exactly Googles choice. I'm sure they would be happy to work with anyone making phones, since they get money.
    Trump banned any trade with Huawei specifically, so US companies really don't have a choice in the matter.

Fox2232 likes this.
  19. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Personally, I'd rather have a democracy spy on me than a communism. They are both doing the spying, nonetheless. Anyone who thinks Huawei isn't the Chinese government's tool is naive beyond naivety. It's simply impossible to run a significant company there without having ties to the government. It's a totalitarian country with deep corruption and impaired human rights. Just read about their social credit system to realise what kind of a dystopia it's trying to become. So, yeah, I've never had a Chinese phone or a laptop. I could sniff problems like this appearing years ago. Good luck relying on Chinese app stores. Google can't keep malware out of their Play Store, Chinese companies will have an entirely different definition of what is malware and what is not. In Western countries there's a huge outcry when a government tries to require backdoors in software, in China it would be a crime to protest against them.

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sorry, but nothing you said does only belong to China besides it's social credit rating. At least you can see it, in Western "democracies" it's just your bank account. But it's funny how that's a matter of POV, like you said.