1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Stadia Cloud Game Service to Launch in November for $10 Per Month

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 7, 2019.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Meh, Canada is not too bad as far as broadband internet is concerned (mobile is another matter). I'm currently with Rogers on a 500 Mbps unlimited plan (loyalty offer), paying about $80 CAD a month, including taxes (or about $60 USD). I'd be comfortable trying out Stadia on it when it arrives.

The impression that I get from reddit is that data caps are widespread in the US, which would make Stadia less than appealing. I'm guessing that will be the biggest hurdle for many customers, who will likely need to seek out more expensive plans to accommodate it.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  2. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That's kind of what I'm going for, aside from the "download" part as that's not really a feasible option with this kind of service.

Some of the coverage I read regarding the Stadia announcement seem to indicate that the "Pro" tier would work a bit like this, that titles added during your "Pro" subscription would still be available after you terminate the subscription. Don't quote me on that though, I haven't watched the original announcement myself.

Anyway, my point is that a subscription fee is fine - you just can't ask people to buy content on top of that, or at all with this kind of service.

I'd expect that a subscription would get me access to everything as long as I'm paying for the service, if it doesn't then I struggle to see the point over any other form of gaming in the current market.

Ricardo likes this.
  3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I think this is aimed more towards the norms rather than PC or console enthusiasts as no doubt almost all of the stuff on it will already be played or old hat to most of the latter demograph.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    That, and....this is a test environment for them. Deploy a service, see where the problems are and, iterate for the future.

It's a land-grab, to prepare for sowing the seeds to harvest the crops in the future, when this sort of thing has a decent penetration to make it viable.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Actually the problem is the US is a large and varied land mass and so its infrastructure reflects it. It's not like where in other places, your entire country is the size of one of our states. If you can get the broadband access, generally the service is as good as anywhere else. The problem is in getting broadband to begin with. It took me nearly a decade to get better than 1.5 DSL. (forget Sat internet) Why? Because there is no profit in upgrading when your customer base is measured in 10's of persons OR LESS per square mile for 90% of your service area.

6. djeiraji

djeiraji New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 2100Mhz
    Hey guys,
    Did you realize that they don't say that the list of games is the list of free games.
    The only free game at the moment is destiny2. The other ones in the list need to be paid....
    The pro subscription only offer access to better cloud hardware, and for the moment to an allmost free-to-play game.
    In top of that it's quite sure that cd-key selling platform won't work with stadia.you'll have to pay game full price...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  7. BUDA20

BUDA20 Member

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080 ti
    This is not at all how this works, network lag is not input lag, you can move the game camera on your local computer, regardless of the network latency, here we are talking about a full trip, from input, to server, to game logic, to your machine again, to display, the difference in *ms latency on a game running on your local machine, and one in the cloud will be monumental

Ricardo likes this.
  8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    $10 for a product where you watch a video of yourself trying to play a game is $10 too much.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Well, yes...but when you just interconnect cities with Fibre Optic Cable, it resolves a lot of the problems I mentioned - but it does not excuse ISP's from price gouging their customers.

The contracts are insane. Why O Why do they have data caps? There is no logic to that at all, as, there is no additional cost to them if you download more BITS of data. No Cost. At all. In any way. Yet, they charge customers for it. It's beyond criminal to charge someone for something that you do not own, or, is even a tangible thing/entity.

The government needs to step in and actually lay Fibre Optic Cable across the states for interconnectivity between cities, bringing internet speed above the 1990's for Americans, because the situation is embarrassing and, disgusting.

If I tell you what I get and at what cost, and the terms for my ISP, it would bring you to tears. Americans are being screwed - and Google is (imho) not thinking of the immediate, but a future subscription model.

carnivore likes this.
  10. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I'm with the largest cable internet company in the USA an have no cap...."Xfinity 111.7 million customers in 39 states"

Edit: I guess I was wrong^...just found out I have 1 terabyte of data per month/ I never knew that.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Venix and Loobyluggs like this.

11. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    I agree with you completely data caps are literally double dipping.
    They literally charging you for using the connection that you already paid for!
    What's the logic ? Hey this guy actually using the service he paid for , how dare he? Charge him moaaaaaaaaaaaaar!

Loobyluggs likes this.
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    no thanks, I like to actual own my games

13. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor 8G OC
    Not bad. But looks like they're testing the waters. If this catches on and it works successfully, then that's alright. If not, then move onto the next thing.

14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Frankly, I don't think it matters for casual gamers. I remember playing Mario Cart on the Wii using the remote controls wheel and was frustrated by the input delay. I complained about it, but I was the only one - everyone else was okay with it. Having tight controls with low input delay may matter for some gamers but they are a minority - also, such gamers most likely already have their own high-end PC hardware so Stadia isn't really for them.

Oof, hope you didn't splurge on data in the past and get overcharged.

I remember when I had a data cap on my home internet - I hated it so much and tried to switch to another (smaller) provider that would (unfortunately, they were not available in my area at the time). By the time they became available though, my current internet provider had unlimited plans and I took them up on one. I then tried switching again when they raised prices but they panicked and gave me a promotional deal to stay (and when that deal ran out they offered me another one).

Currently, my beef is with mobile carriers, who are extremely stingy with data caps. I'm currently on a 6 GB a month plan (and it's a promotional one) and always need to watch my data usage. The tragic thing is that I used to have an unlimited mobile plan in the past when I had a Palm Treo, but they scrapped it by the time I got a Galaxy S2 (and all the big carriers followed suit). I don't really care about 5G or whatever else the carriers are hyping up nowadays - the only thing I want is an unlimited plan.

15. msotirov

msotirov Member

GPU:
    rx 480
    Being saying that ever since companies started moving work apps to subscription models (Adobe, Microsoft etc.). It's worse with work apps than with games because they can essentially hold your work projects hostage.

16. LEEc337

LEEc337 Active Member

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    I've been doin this myself for years using android app called moonlight I can stream my rig perfectly at 1080p 60fps with only the smallest of lag my daughter often plays roblox on it when we're out visiting with zero complaints

17. LEEc337

LEEc337 Active Member

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    Stream an xbox to your pc and you can play that too... If you console that is

18. LEEc337

LEEc337 Active Member

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    Use splashtop and you get better pc control, just incase you need something from the office pc and you're not there

19. jan3003

jan3003 New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 sli
    Well, thats just the thing! It's not local. You don't use your local pc for creating graphics. It just show you the graphics from the server. It doesnt create any local graphics. So when you play a shooter, you get a crazy slow reaction time. Because you dont create graphics, your pc is just a viewer. So like i said, when you play battlefield 5 or csgo or call of duty, just any active games. You'll play with 125ms lag (40ms server to pc + 5ms screen, 40ms pc to server and 40ms server to game server). Thats just not playable.