1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google presents its Stadia platform for streaming games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 20, 2019.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I can't wait for compilation vids of angry little streamers screaming at their mom and dad to shut off netflix :D

airbud7 likes this.
  2. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    The question will be pricing..... if pricing will be aggressive. I can definitely see how cloud gaming becomes a thing.
    Owning a high end PC will be like how Netflix vs physical blu-ray copies work today.

there's no doubt that Blu-ray is higher quality but for most people the convenience and cost savings of Netflix wins.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Too bad it'll get cut off though, since their stream will also get disrupted.
    Actually no, that's a good thing. You still get just enough frames to see their fit of rage, but your ears don't have to bleed by hearing their shrill screeching. So it's a win-win.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah and then one day you will also have to buy boxes from Amazon, Apple, Samsung and Microsoft to subscribe to and play exclusives just like streaming video :p No thank you lol.

airbud7 likes this.

5. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    Highly doubt that. Netflix is basically the same thing just for content which can be a lot more expensive than games.
    the great thing about a service based product is that when you don't want, you can always abort or switch to a competitor.
    I think it's sounds great on paper but needs to see how it is actually working in terms of latency & stability.

6. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB ❤ 144hz
    I'm sorry for being ignorant, but who are buying these subscriptions?

7. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    what do you mean? It's not even out yet.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Subscription whales? :p

They'll start playing the exclusives game and be a pain in the ass if Google starts making a decent amount of money, you can count on it just like video streaming. Thankfully Google usually falls flat on its face so I'm not in the least bit bothered.

RzrTrek likes this.
  9. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    Well Google is one of many that see the potential, Geforce Now seems to be taken very seriously by Nvidia, Microsoft & Sony also have their own plans.
    Cloud gaming will be a thing. the amount of users that can decode a 1080P video is much larger than the one that can render a triple A game at 1080P.

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I doubt this will impact in any significant way on PC or console gaming, mobile on the other hand might take this up big time, sort of like a gamepass for mobile gaming, but personally i will stick with my local hardware inStadia. :p

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ah, my daily dose of puns. Thanks :D

The only use case on mobile I can think of is low end android phones or unsupported versions, it can work there.

airbud7 and XP-200 like this.
  12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^Yeap, plus i think streaming to mobile devices will also have way less overheads when it comes to bandwidth and the likes, no need to worry about 4k HDR streaming to all those HD ready 1,280x720 tablets and phones still in use. lol

airbud7 and lucidus like this.
  13. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    If no one pushing cloud-gaming then there will be no cloud-gaming forever
    its pretty common in real-world especially in techs
    do u think "steam" ready when it launch ?

what interesting is how they handle lantecy and data-transfer
    how good they compress the data, because by streaming graphic, it will similar to youtube
    basically google stream game-screen cmiiw
    4k 60fps is like 400mb/minutes on H.265/HEVC right?

14. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    Since it's google I expect VP9 or AV1...... regardless with the hardware announced doesn't sound like 4K 60 FPS is really viable for a modified Vega 56

15. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    not speaking about the "trust"
    but again the game nowdays is different then old-days that u play offline
    now most game is online, game now is more like a "service" rather than a "product", so even u bought the game, for some games if the game-server is down, u cant no longer play the game either right ?
    yea there are still many single-player like ResidentEvil2, DMC5 etc.
    but nowdays even steam dissapear, i bet someone will going to upload the game to internet anyway, that way for me personally, i dont feel lost anything

in asia/japan people still prefer buying disc rather than download, while some have similar reason like u other than to collect games, but most people reason is that they can resell the disc to second-hand stores even its so damn cheap after a while after release

16. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB ❤ 144hz
    I just find the whole idea of subscription based gaming bizarre 1) where you don't own your game 2) have to rent hardware from tech monopolies 3) and the obvious privacy implications,

but then again it's your time and money. I just think it's sad that it's always the unprincipled "casuals", who keeps ruining it for everyone and I thought we had gone past the time of VHS rentals.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    It makes no sense for us hardware and/or game enthusiasts, but it makes a lot of sense for everyone else who doesn't have the time, space, money, or interest in buying all this stuff.
    Think of it like leasing a sportscar. I don't think most people lease a car with the intention of permanently owning it, but, you're still getting immediate access to enjoy it for a whole lot less money than if you were to own it. The long-term value proposition isn't so great, but the point of such things is to have immediate access to nicer things without being totally invested in them.

18. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    according to DF, average console latency is already so bad you wouldnt tell it apart from a stream, that along with the usual couch sitting 3m away from a relatively tiny screen means compression artifacts wont be an issue either

this thing will send consoles into a niche just like pc gaming, or outright kill them

19. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    1. Umm no-one said you don't have to own the game(Geforce now for example doesn't allow you to play if you don't own the game) but if that's the case that's better. a lot of games are basically useless once you finished them.
    2. Rent from monopolies over buying from monopolies? what's the difference here exactly?
    3. Privacy? right..... Steam doesn't concern you at all? Origin? Epic store? today you get a launcher that tracks you down anyways.

20. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    stream = compression = low image quality
    even if they work out latency and frame rate I would want RAW data transfer still