Google claims quantum supremacy for computer

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 24, 2019.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I guess now would be a good time to point out that the world being a sphere is communist Russia propaganda trying to lead us to believe that the moon landing never happened. Oh yeah and climate change was orchestrated by Mussolini or whatever; think about it long enough and it'll totally make sense, I swear.

Wake up, sheeple! Spread the truth! Screw math and emperical data! Believe what's most convenient for YOU and your political agenda! Your understanding of subjects after 10 minutes of "research" from "experts" is irrefutable, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
    And remember this important piece of wisdom I have to offer: if something doesn't make sense to you, that's because whoever thought of the idea was stupid.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    fantaskarsef and Denial like this.
  2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Do I believe that atoms exist as we were taught in school. No because the general model of an atom as taught to and still viewed by many people is the Bohr Model, which is simple enough to give people a rough idea of what an atom is meant to look like (in theory) however it neglects to tell people that atoms, how they actually look is based purely on a combination of applied calculation and clever theory. That we theorize the quantum state of electrons with in atoms because we simply cannot as yet measure them. That the act of measuring or mapping them results in the you changing the value of the thing you are measuring. For most folk that is a concept that goes a bit above most their head and given that our theorizing and calculating of these electron quantum energy states has allowed us to discover elements within the periodic table before actually physically finding those elements means that at least some aspects of what we know, calculated and theorized are correct.

Not really sure what the rest of the Nazi BS conspiracy theory non sense was meant to be about though.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    key point we not there yet so till we are it irrelevant to most people.

I not say the "tech" is irrelevant I saying it use is for majority if not all people and companies is. sorta like how OLED was announced more then a decade ago and it still barely used. and as such irrelevant to most people cause of it price and or availability is so limited even IF it better. That like say on paper this tech is lightyears more advanced then this tech and it will be game changer, but there 20+ years away from being able to make it and even farther out making available to everyone. at that point most people will be like "ok and" hence irrelevant to most people.

Again agree to disagree

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Wouldn't the computational power offered or claimed by such a system as Google claim to have 'made' pretty much render the entire Folding @ Home system defunct?

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yes and no. Quantum computers, as they currently stand, aren't general-purpose processors. I'm not sure about all of them, but some of them can only fulfill specific calculations. So, if Google configured their computers specifically for F@H then yes, you'd probably be right.
    Grid computing in general will become obsolete when/if quantum computers reach their theorized potential. That's why they're such a big deal and will dramatically affect the future should these organizations actually achieve "quantum supremacy".