Google accidentally leaks the Nexus 5 ahead of launch

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by deltatux, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    No, I believe people are trying to build it atm for the Nexus 7

2. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Same here. My n4 runs amazingly smooth just like it when I got it as year ago. I really feel no need to upgrade just yet and with kit kat coming I have even less reasons :)

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I've got a N4, and I'm upgrading just cuz. I'll let you guys know how nice it is :D

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I'll probably be buying the wife an N4 this evening as the whining about the Galaxy Exhibit is getting irritating. Unfortunately, that sticks me with my N4 for another year. Oh well, it's still a great phone. Hoping to get KitKat for it soon. Still trying to find another N4 to flash with Ubuntu Touch though....

5. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080
  6. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Let us know dude. It looks pretty sweet and specs is good too! I might give my Nexus4 another year before getting N6 or something like that. More excited about KitKat atm.

Also i would love Nexus 8!

Btw is there any way to force an update for KitKat? Or Google hasnt stated rolling it out yet?

7. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    They don't have OTA stock yet, PA did compile an AOSP stock version of 4.4 for the N4.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2506678

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    When it comes to the Nexus line, I kind of impulse buy the N7 and Nexus phones. Probably isn't in my favor (2013 N7 touch screen problems are horrible on my device), but I love having awesome hardware at an affordable price. I don't game very much to justify throwing that much money at my pc. Anyways, I can't wait to see the camera. If you guys want me to try anything out for you, just let me know. I'll be rooting and installing Paranoid Android as soon as it's up for the N5.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    ^ Phandroid said that's been in the code since Froyo or Donut, I believe.

11. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I'm exactly the same. I normally keep stuff until it breaks - hence I still run the PC listed (occasionally - I run a Turion notebook too which gets more use) - and a Nokia 5800.

Picked up a 2013 N7 though when they came out and I love it - glorious to use and a lovely piece of hardware for the money.

Ordered my N5 yesterday - can't wait. Should be a pretty big jump from my 4.5 year old Nokia with it's 434MHz single core :p

12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    You're going to be blown away. Like some of the other guys said, the N4 was already a very capable Nexus device. The N5 is probably going to make you cry tears or nerdy joy. Brace yourself for not being able to see pixels.

13. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Alright, so I got mine. It was a bit more of a pain in the butt to root probably because I've never spent the time to learn adb and just do it myself. The device itself is very fast, definitely a noticeable amount fast than the N4 in web page loading and general snappiness. The screen... oh man it's stunning. The camera, from what I've seen so far, looks pretty dang good for a Nexus device. That being said, I haven't really pushed it yet. I spent most of today trying to root it. There aren't any of my favorite roms ready for it yet either. Oh the problems of getting your phone 5 days after launch...
    I just want Tab UI so bad. Hurry up Paranoid Android!

The only thing I'm unsure about is how well texts are going to be able to be taken from an old phone and put on kitkat. Again, I haven't tried yet.

Edit: Got my texts over just fine. I used SMS Backup & Restore. It's a little cumbersome, but there are instructions on the play store and the app guides you through the process. The only thing that I've noticed so far is how much Google hides the functionality of the notification light. I swear, I've seen it flash ONCE out of the corner of my eye right when a notification came in. It does not continue to flash (at least for email). Maybe I'm missing something entirely, but I guess ROMs will add to that functionality like they did for the N4.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  14. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Phwoooooooar. Before it arrived, I was thinking "Do I really need this?”

It arrived yesterday...mind = blown!

Really liking Kit Kat too. Looking forward to it coming to the N7...

15. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080
    So i was able to get a hold of a N4 for $150 brand new from a friend who had it for no more than 1 month and half before ordering the N5 (which he got today) so i am going to experiment with the N4. Woot. I ordered my N5 (32GB) today so hopefully it will arrive before Christmas. >_<

16. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Get PA, you won't be disappointed :nerd:

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    It does blink, but there's a VERY big gap between blinks. I'm only guessing here, but i think it seems to be upwards of 15-20 seconds.... possibly longer.

But in general... yea... Screen is absolutely orgasmic. iPhone "Retina" display... eat your heart out.

18. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Correction: The Nexus 4 still is a very capable Nexus device :p

I still see no point in plopping another $400 (after tax and shipping) on a Nexus 5. Yes, it's an awesome phone, but what it improves on the Nexus 4 isn't big enough for me to personally get the Nexus 5. My Nexus 4 still covers my smartphone needs :).

deltatux

19. Saifz

Saifz Master Guru

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    thinking of getting the nexus 5 which colour though white or black? 16 or 32 gb?

currently using a nexus s

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I left it up to the wife to decide if I kept the N4 or got an N5.....she liked the Galaxy S3, so I'm keeping my N4. I'll be heading down to T-Mo this weekend to drool all over the N5 display though....just to freak out their employees. If the phone looks half as good in person as it does in all those pictures, I'll probably end up buying one in a couple months.

I haven't found anything yet that my N4 can't do.....well, of what I actually NEED it to do anyway. Ok, maybe there is one thing. Satisfy my NEED to upgrade to Kitkat already.....but that's not the fault of my N4.